It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board

• Venous hum (causing pulsatile tinnitus)

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-15-2013, 10:28 AM   #1
    stab
    (male)

stab HB User
    Venous hum (causing pulsatile tinnitus)

I believe I might have had my tinnitus for a very long time, maybe even during childhood. I have normal tinnitus, but also pulsatile tinnitus in both ears. Luckily, the latter is not very loud but audible nonetheless.

It is a constant tone that becomes louder and higher pitched on the heart beat and then quickly fades and becomes lower in pitch. This repeats itself on every heart beat, almost like a mosquito which flyes close to your ear and then further away

I have realized that it becomes inaudible when I lie down flat, when I twist my neck to the side or when I put pressure on the vein on the back of my neck.

After searching countless of hours on the internet, I have diagnosed myself
    The outcome is a Venous Hum. This is a 'heart murmur' commonly found in childeren that the doctor can hear while listening to your cardiovascular system. As a matter of fact, I had a heart murmur when I was just a baby but it was said to be harmless.

The condition is less common in adults but does occur and cause pulsatile tinnitus in some cases.

My question is, is there anyone here who has this? Does this sound familiar to you? I'm hoping to find people with the same problem and share what we know about it. What did the doctor said to you? Is it dangerous or does it need treatment? Did it go away or became worse?

I'm actually not looking for treatments (want no surgery if possible!), but just some soothing of the mind. If it's not dangerous, I can live with it. Just want to hear your experiences

Hope to hear from you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-26-2013, 08:42 PM   #2
    VA_girl
    (female)

VA_girl HB User
    Re: Venous hum (causing pulsatile tinnitus)

Have that in one right ear. Started when I was 30 and has been intermittent for the last five years. Usually I can live with it, sometimes it is quite distracting and disruptive. Doc's said it was not dangerous, possible fistula in the neck but didn't want to go through a cath since there have been times that it would go away for a few months at a time. That makes me think it is not a permanent vascular problem if it could go away like that. I'm really into natural medicine and Edgar Cayce, and that school of thought seems to lean that this is an issue of blood and circulation. I'm going to try the Cayce recommendations as well as I recently read an article about a doctor who really helped patients treating them with an enzyme called Wobenzyme, he had them take ten tablets three times a day. You could probably find more info or the actual article if you do an internet/google search. Hope you feel better, if mine gets better I'll keep you posted!

Closed Thread