It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board

• Otosclorosis

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-19-2013, 11:05 AM   #1
    Twigster
    (female)

Twigster HB User
    Otosclorosis

I am diagnosed with Otosclorosis where my inner bones have crumbled and fused. Doctor want to operate after this infection I have goes away.

They want to remove the three bones (stirrup, hammer and I forget the last one). Place prosthesis in and scrap the calcified bone away.

Just the mere thought terrifies me.

I use hearing aids but my hearing has significantly dropped over the last year.

The doctor is concerned that I could all of sudden go totally deaf which of course I never want. I am just a ninny and scared for the operation.

Has anyone else been through this and could give some advice?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-11-2013, 07:12 AM   #2
    huffpz6410
    (female)

huffpz6410 HB User
    Smile Re: Otosclorosis

I was diagnosed with otosclorosis at age 24. Had stapedectomy in right ear in 1985 - 28 years ago. Successful surgery and I recovered most of hearing (except high pitches). Hearing has slowly been going downhill. Approx. 2 years ago ENT did audiogram and said hearing was decreased but said it was due to "aging" and recommended a hearing. Past 3 months have had rapid hearing loss. I have an appointment Friday to see ENT. I am wondering if this is more than "aging" hearing loss and that my stapedectomy isn't working anymore. I would definitely have a second surgery if that is what is wrong. If there is something mechanical wrong in the ear that can be fixed with surgery, I say go for it. I will go for it - if that is what my ENT recommends.

Old 09-11-2013, 07:42 AM   #3
    Voxx976
    Veteran
    (male)

Voxx976 HB UserVoxx976 HB UserVoxx976 HB UserVoxx976 HB UserVoxx976 HB UserVoxx976 HB User
    Re: Otosclorosis

Have the stapedectomy surgery. It is one of the wonders of the modern age and not serious stuff in the hands of a skilled ENT with lots of experience.

I've had both ears done over the decades and never regretted a minute of it.

Going deaf in my 30's was the alternative. I've aged over the years (funny how that works) and have hearing better than all my peers.

Last edited by Voxx976; 09-11-2013 at 07:44 AM.

Old 09-12-2013, 09:47 AM   #4
    Twigster
    (female)

Twigster HB User

Hi,

Thank you to both of you for your response. I am very grateful for it.

I see the ENT surgeon soon. Need to make the appointment at the end of the month when I have the cash. I have full faith in my surgeon, he is incredible.

Well, I guess in the interim I will have to grin and bear it.

Once again, thank you.

Old 10-09-2013, 04:02 PM   #5
    Marie 67
    (female)

Marie 67 HB User

I thought someone who has been thru something like this might be able to give me an answer. I had an ear infection 3 months ago and had my ear drained of fluid. The fluid was there for 10 weeks. It was not glue ear or so I'm told. I'm not hearing correctly out of that ear. Never had problems before. Could the fluid have done permanent damage to my ear in that amount of time? Could the bones be damaged by it that quick? How can I find out if they are? My ent just dismisses this. He says that the slit in my eardrum from where it was drained three weeks ago is not sealed yet. He thinks this is the reason for my conductive hearing loss. I don't agree. Anybody have any thoughts or experiences with something like this that they will share. I'm going for a second opinion tomorrow. Thank you.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:57 PM   #6
    Twigster
    (female)

Twigster HB User

Best of luck when you see your ENT. If you are not comfortable with his professional opinion, seek another one.

Closed Thread