It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board

• Has anyone had a CT scan of their ears??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-11-2013, 04:19 AM   #1
    catface34
    (female)

catface34 HB User
    Has anyone had a CT scan of their ears??

Hello there, I'm a 26 year old female, new to the board, although I've been reading for quite some time. I have been feeling wrong for a year now and I think I'm finally getting to the bottom of my diagnosis. It all happened to me around this time last year. It was the day after I had been on two flights and I was sitting in a cafe, having a cup of coffee. Three weeks previous, I had taken an anti-biotic (keflex) for cellulitis in my foot, and I had had some kind of anaphylactic reaction to the ibuprofen I was taking with the anti-biotic. Anyway, when I was having a coffee, all of a sudden I started to have what felt like a panic attack and my heart rate went up and I started feeling like I needed to get out of there. When I got home, I started having shakes and a bit of a fever. I had a few of these attacks in the following days, but I slowly realised that they would come on me when I began to feel stressed.

I know people reading this will immediately think 'she has an anxiety disorder'. I have wondered this many times myself but I know that it isn't. Before this, I had never had anxiety/panic attacks etc in the slightest. My symptoms are these - I have never gotten the rotational vertigo, but I do feel slightly dizzy, however, it really isn't something I'd complain about. My major complaint is my vision - I find flourescent lighting just doesn't look the way it used to, neither does any kind of lighting. It's as though there is less power going to my eyes, or that they are compromised in some way. That is the infuriating part - there is something subtly wrong with my vision, and trying to explain it is a nightmare. I worry that if I ever do return to normal - will I recognize it? I also feel confusion and brain fog - I'll have great difficulty trying to remember something I did 2 hours ago. I can remember what I did, but it takes great mental effort to pull that data from memory!! Also, a few months after this all started, I developed eustachian tube dysfunction.

I have had an mri, ct scan of sinuses, bloods, seen an ENT etc. I have been diagnosed with everything from persistent migraine aura to an anxiety disorder. My ENT thinks it's an inner ear problem, and I had suspected that for a long time too.

My question to you all is - the most obvious conclusion to jump to would be vestibular neuritis, right? However, a few things about this don't add up for me. Firstly, even though a huge amount of people do not get vertigo at the onset, I do not feel I was ever dizzy enough for VN to be a correct diagnosis. Also, if it were a less severe form of VN, how likely is it that I wouldn't compensate fully, given that I was job-searching, apartment hunting and basically being active (but not incredibly so) the entire time? I had moved to Canada at the time this all started, and it began the day after I landed. I also started work two weeks after. I feel it has gotten worse since I moved home.

My second question is this - did any of you ever have CT scans of your ears? I'm trying to get a referral for one, the reason being that otosclerosis runs in my family (my Aunt and grandmother, and several of her sisters). Otosclerosis is mainly characterised by hearing loss, although there are some sufferers who have had only vestibular symptoms. For some reason, I just don't think I had/have VN. Any thoughts? Thanks for reading this - I know it's been a long winding post!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-26-2013, 11:08 AM   #2
    Marie 67
    (female)

Marie 67 HB User
    Re: Has anyone had a CT scan of their ears??

I'm having similar symptoms of an off balance nature. I had or still have fluid behind my ear from an ear infection. How is your hearing? Mine has not been the same since. Ent says eustachian tube dysfunction. My ear feels closed with dull hearing. I've also been having panic attacks. My heart rate increases and I can feel the adrenalin rushing thru my body. This has been happening for 3 months and it's driving me crazy. I have to wait for over two weeks to have a hearing test and I'm almost sure I have hearing loss. A tube in my ear would be the only other thing that they could do. I've heard some people have bad side effects from them. I also had some trouble watching tv and it would make me dizzy. Does this seem like anything that you have been experiencing?

Old 10-18-2015, 09:20 AM   #3
    GracieCStar
    (female)

GracieCStar HB User

Have either of you on this thread been check for a stroke or mini-stroke? Just wondering. Hope you're already back to feeling well and I'm too late in asking.

Old 04-19-2016, 08:08 PM   #4
    dizzyear
    (male)

dizzyear HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by catface34 View Post
    Hello there, I'm a 26 year old female, new to the board, although I've been reading for quite some time. I have been feeling wrong for a year now and I think I'm finally getting to the bottom of my diagnosis. It all happened to me around this time last year. It was the day after I had been on two flights and I was sitting in a cafe, having a cup of coffee. Three weeks previous, I had taken an anti-biotic (keflex) for cellulitis in my foot, and I had had some kind of anaphylactic reaction to the ibuprofen I was taking with the anti-biotic. Anyway, when I was having a coffee, all of a sudden I started to have what felt like a panic attack and my heart rate went up and I started feeling like I needed to get out of there. When I got home, I started having shakes and a bit of a fever. I had a few of these attacks in the following days, but I slowly realised that they would come on me when I began to feel stressed.

I know people reading this will immediately think 'she has an anxiety disorder'. I have wondered this many times myself but I know that it isn't. Before this, I had never had anxiety/panic attacks etc in the slightest. My symptoms are these - I have never gotten the rotational vertigo, but I do feel slightly dizzy, however, it really isn't something I'd complain about. My major complaint is my vision - I find flourescent lighting just doesn't look the way it used to, neither does any kind of lighting. It's as though there is less power going to my eyes, or that they are compromised in some way. That is the infuriating part - there is something subtly wrong with my vision, and trying to explain it is a nightmare. I worry that if I ever do return to normal - will I recognize it? I also feel confusion and brain fog - I'll have great difficulty trying to remember something I did 2 hours ago. I can remember what I did, but it takes great mental effort to pull that data from memory!! Also, a few months after this all started, I developed eustachian tube dysfunction.

I have had an mri, ct scan of sinuses, bloods, seen an ENT etc. I have been diagnosed with everything from persistent migraine aura to an anxiety disorder. My ENT thinks it's an inner ear problem, and I had suspected that for a long time too.

My question to you all is - the most obvious conclusion to jump to would be vestibular neuritis, right? However, a few things about this don't add up for me. Firstly, even though a huge amount of people do not get vertigo at the onset, I do not feel I was ever dizzy enough for VN to be a correct diagnosis. Also, if it were a less severe form of VN, how likely is it that I wouldn't compensate fully, given that I was job-searching, apartment hunting and basically being active (but not incredibly so) the entire time? I had moved to Canada at the time this all started, and it began the day after I landed. I also started work two weeks after. I feel it has gotten worse since I moved home.

My second question is this - did any of you ever have CT scans of your ears? I'm trying to get a referral for one, the reason being that otosclerosis runs in my family (my Aunt and grandmother, and several of her sisters). Otosclerosis is mainly characterised by hearing loss, although there are some sufferers who have had only vestibular symptoms. For some reason, I just don't think I had/have VN. Any thoughts? Thanks for reading this - I know it's been a long winding post!

Did you ever get a diagnosis? Any change in your symptoms? I have a similar eye complaint 'something subtly wrong with my vision' and dizziness (not spinning)

Closed Thread

Tags
    dizzy, inner ear disorder, labrynthitis, otosclerosis, vestibular neuritis