It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board

• Has anyone had patulous eustachian due to otitis media with effusion

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-11-2013, 04:26 PM   #1
    Marie 67
    (female)

Marie 67 HB User
    Has anyone had patulous eustachian due to otitis media with effusion

I would like to hear from anyone who has gotten a patulous eustachian from having an ear infection. I had an infection 2 months ago with effusion and I am concerned that I may have developed this. I could hear my heartbeating when this first happened to me and it was difficult to talk. My ear felt full and was having pain. I have had improvement the last 2 months but things are not quite right. I had bubbles behind my eardrum less than a week ago. I was told it looked sterile. Would that be fluid or air bubbles? I just assumed it was fluid at the time so I didn't ask. This was not an ent but a general practitioner. My ear feels full, is popping a few times a day and I feel a vibration in it. When I turn on the hair dryer my eardrum vibrates like crazy. Hearing is not right either. Does that sound like a patulous eustachian to anybody? Has anyone had a patulous tube that went back to normal on it's own? This is driving me insane.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-12-2013, 11:06 AM   #2
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
    Re: Has anyone had patulous eustachian due to otitis media with effusion

I've not had it per se, but I can relate to your symptoms when I've had a bad cold and sinus infection. I can totally understand the driving insane, especially if you're not getting any relief.

I think the best thing for you is to see an ENT to get properly diagnosed.

Were you on any antibiotics and are you still on them to deal with the infection?

Do you still have any inflammation in the area...sometimes, it's the inflammation that can cause extra fluid. Maybe a very short course of a steroid can help? Nothing longer than a 10 day taper to 0mg or a short course for 5 days of like 50 mg. A friend of mine has had the short course 50 mg for 5 days for her vestibular vertigo from ear inflammation. It worked.

I'm just throwing ideas at you for possible treatment, especially if your ear infection hasn't been rectified.

Have you tried sinus rinses (I use the NeilMed that has a salt/baking soda powder that you have to mix with filtered water)...they work for me when I get that feeling of resonating voice/breathing sound.

You do need to make sure your infection and inflammation is dealt with. Hopefully, that will deal with the other symptoms you're having. I'd push for an ENT...if not, hopefully your doctor will give you meds that can deal with the extra fluid.

Just as an addition, sometimes antihistamines can help to deal with the extra fluid as can a decongestant such as Sudafed.
    A friend of my husband's who has Meniere's has taken stinging nettle tea (you'd have to check the proper amount per day) to help with the extra fluid symptoms.

Hope you feel better soon,
    quincy

Old 09-18-2013, 06:31 AM   #3
    Marie 67
    (female)

Marie 67 HB User

Thanks for the helpful advice. I did see an ent back in July who told me to use flonase for a month. After a month went by and I was basically the same, I went back to her and she just said to keep using it, these things take time. I just couldn't stand it any longer so I got in to see another ent. He wouldn't drain my ear at first and told me to keep taking the steroid spray and antibiotics for 10 days and if that didn't take care of it, he would drain it. I left frustrated because I had been doing those exact same things for two months with barely any improvement. The next morning I just couldn't stand the pressure and the off balance feeling any longer. I paged him and told him what was happening. He said to come into his office on Monday. I was there first thing and he drained my ear. I'm concerned that the fluid will come back especially since he didn't put a tube in. I've been reading that this frequently happens. He even said so. I don't know where I am headed from here with this condition. I would like to hear from anyone who has been thru this so I can get prepared for what might come.

Old 09-18-2013, 11:04 AM   #4
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

I do hope someone will answer your post.

Maybe continuing with the steroid sinus spray, an antihistamine and sinus rinse? Did he mention any of those options?

Have you found any other info on it from searches on this board?

q

Old 09-18-2013, 12:21 PM   #5
    Marie 67
    (female)

Marie 67 HB User

Just the steroid spray. How is that going to help when it didn't before is beyond me. I think it's just a last resort that maybe it will work.

Old 09-19-2013, 11:04 AM   #6
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Possibly indirectly. Have you not tried any antihistamines as of yet? Maybe ask the doctor for something to help, but they should be ones that don't make you sleepy.

Hopefully, you'll see another ENT to pursue further treatment and perspective.

q

Closed Thread