It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board

• Possible myringotomy and very scared

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-13-2013, 04:07 PM   #1
    Marie 67
    (female)

Marie 67 HB User
    Possible myringotomy and very scared

I'm needing some advice as to what to do. I had an ear infection 2 months ago and have not been the same since. Was dianosed with effusion from otitis media. The ent put me on a stronger steroid nose inhaler for the inflammation and wants me to take the rest of my cefdinir antibiotic for 10 days. I explained to him that I was not hearing properly from the ear since the infection and that I was having fullness, pain, a feeling of air or an echo when I spoke loudly, popping, and off balance, and when I turned on the hairdryer my eardrum vibrates like crazy. He said that it sounded like I still have fluid left in my ear from the effusion. If the meds together don't work in 10 days he said that he would drain my ear. He said he would do it right in the office. If I do this what am I to expect, during the procedure and after? I had tubes in my ears when I was a 10 year old child but had no side effects. All that I remember was that I couldn't get water in my ears and had to wear earplugs when I showered. I'm 46 now and haven't had any real trouble from my ears except a couple of ear infections over all this time. This is like the third infection that I have had since I was a child. The other two times I was given antibiotics and it was cleared up in a matter of a few days. Why has this fluid stayed in my ear for so long? If anyone has had this done for having an ear infection please let me know what it's like. Do you hear better and feel better right away once the fluid is removed? Has it ever made hearing worse? Please advise as I'm scared to do this but I don't know what other alternative I have a this point since this has gone on for so long a time.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread