It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board

• Why Am I So Off-Balance? HELP PLEASE!!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-28-2013, 04:40 PM   #1
    ny000144
    (male)

ny000144 HB User
    Why Am I So Off-Balance? HELP PLEASE!!!

Hi, I'm 25 years old and I've been suffering from an off-balance feeling for nearly a month now. Here's the timeline:

June 29 - Hiked up a mountain and I felt my heart drop and I felt faint. I didn't actually faint but I felt very tired. I thought it was heat exhaustion.

Aug. 7 - Came down with acid reflux and a sour stomach

Aug. 11 - Started taking Prilosec OTC for acid reflux

Aug. 12 - First Dizzy Spell when I got off the elevator at work. I went from the basement to the 2nd floor I felt dizzy for at least five minutes.

Aug. 13 - Sinus Pressure began at night. Nose and Face ached. Thought it was a sinus infection.

Aug. 14 - ENT visit. The ENT found "no signs of an infection"; he thought it could be a migraine variation.

Aug. 16 - Felt so off balance I left work early. I went to the ER. I had an anxiety attack as well. Was given Ativan and prescribed Prednisone and Nasonex.

Aug. 17 - Panic Attack, and severe right arm pain along w/ off balance.

Aug. 18 - Worst off balance day.

Aug. 19 - End of the Prednisone. Went to Urgent Care. They didn't know what was causing the off balance feeling.

Aug. 20 - 2nd ER visit. Diagnosed with Rhinitis in the nose. Also visited gastroenterologist who said I was sick but it could've been something viral. When I cried mucus came out but it was clear like water not yellow or green.

Aug. 21 - Felt slightly better but still off balance.

Aug. 22 & 23 - Felt okay however became off balance when I became active.

Aug. 26 - Off Balance gone.

Aug. 27 - Acid Reflux returned, last about a week. I took Prevacid for two weeks. Felt very gassy. Off Balance was gone.

Sept. 3-5 - Argument w/ my friend. Had panic attacks, anxiety, crying due to stress.

Sept. 6 - Argument/stress ended.

Sept. 7 - Felt pressure in my nose but no off balance

Sept. 8 - Off Balance returned at around 5 in the evening out of the blue.

Sept. 10 - ENT visit. The ENT said my nose was inflamed. Prescribed an antibiotic.

Sept. 11 - Off balance, became worst when I was active or when I talked a lot. Did two job interviews on Sept. 11 and on Sept. 19 and both times I felt off balance.

Sept. 19 - Antibiotic finished but still did not feel better.

Sept. 20 - ENT ordered allergy and ENG testing for Oct and prescribed Singulair. Also had a hearing test which was normal.

Sept. 21 - Horrible off balance day. Went to the ER again and they did a CT scan and the physician stated that there was some minor inflammation and mucus on the left side. Prescribed Napronex (Aleve) and Amoxicilyn (sp?).

Sept. 22 - Felt okay, not nearly as off balance as previous days.

Sept. 27 - ENT reviewed CT scans and said there was nothing significant nor signs of an infection based on what she saw. Questioned the drugs the ER doctors gave me.

So that's basically everything. I'm at my wits end here because I don't know what could be causing this off balance feeling nor do I know how to get rid of it or manage it. Is it a migraine variation, an inner ear disturbance, disembarkment syndrome (sp?) or something else. The most prominent symptom is the off balance almost swaying sensation that is prominent on the left side of my face. It makes it difficult to be active but I manage to walk around just fine. I don't feel nauseous nor am I sensitive to light and sound. The off balance feeling went away for two weeks but then came back and it hasn't calmed down since. I want to know what is causing this. Also, it seems to calm down a little bit when I'm in motion i.e. driving or on a train. I can drive just fine. The off balance feeling has me worried that I'm having a difficult time concentrating. I'm also worried because I'm going to start a new job and if I'm off balance I can't perform. and

P.S. I do have TMJ and have had jaw issues for a while now too. IDK if they could be cause.

Last edited by ny000144; 09-28-2013 at 04:48 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-28-2013, 05:44 PM   #2
    Power on
    (male)

Power on HB User
    Hi sorry to hear of all your worries when you went hiking was it in a high elevation and was the hiking someplace you had been before ? Or was it a new area.
    Ménière's disease comes to mind I had a friend who went sky diving and once he hit the ground he said he felt off light head like you he has had many many test like yourself
    But his his went away he had altitude sickness
    Have you seen a cardiologist just to rule put agina or heart issue causing you to feel this way?

Old 09-28-2013, 06:00 PM   #3
    ny000144
    (male)

ny000144 HB User
    Re: Why Am I So Off-Balance? HELP PLEASE!!!

I didn't think it was heart related so the answer to your last question is no. I had clear sinus pressure so I figured it was a sinus infection or something to do w/ the sinuses or ear. The hike was a new place and I guess I was deconditioned, wearing jeans on a hot day and not having any water w/ me so I figured it was heat exhaustion. Also, the off balance began nearly a month after the hiking incident. I thought Meniere's Disease causes hearing loss. My hearing's fine.

Last edited by ny000144; 09-28-2013 at 06:01 PM.

Old 09-28-2013, 08:15 PM   #4
    Power on
    (male)

Power on HB User
    Perhaps something in your gut could be off like Hpylori can cause a bit of dizziness also many gut related issue can can that

Closed Thread