It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board

• Tinnitus started two weeks ago

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-10-2013, 06:22 AM   #1
    Davidinlondon
    (male)

Davidinlondon HB User
    Tinnitus started two weeks ago

Hi

Recently found this board - it's really helpful. I had some strange symptoms a few weeks ago and they seem to have left me with tinnitus. Wondering if anyone might have some advice as it's terrifying me, especially as I'm a musician (classical) and this really makes my job hard

The first symptom I had was that my right ear started to get really red and hot. A day or so later the left one started too, but not as bad. There was a sense of fullness in the ears too, mostly the right ear. They were both very sensitive to the touch. Then the heat seemed to descend over the rest of my body and I got some pins and needles in my hands and legs. My scalp got really hot and tight too.

These symptoms went after a few days and everything calmed down. Then a couple of days later I began to get intermittent tinnitus which has been permanent for about ten days. The GP has prescribed some antibiotics in case of ear infection. On day 4 of those but no change to the tinnitus. The tinnitus feels more like it's inside my head than my ears and is the very high ringing kind.

I haven't noticed any real hearing loss but I still have a slight pain and sense of fullness in the right ear.

Has anyone had anything similar? Does the tinnitus ever go away?

Feeling distraught so any advice is welcome. Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-10-2013, 10:24 AM   #2
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
    Re: Tinnitus started two weeks ago

I would see an ENT and get a thorough exam of ear, hearing. Meds can cause tinnitus too, so I would look at any meds you might be taking, especially aspirin and anti-inflammatories. Viruses are notorious for affecting the inner ear, as are autoimmune disorders. Most of these episodes are self limited and resolve within a 2-3 week period, so I would not be too worried that it will persist. If it does however, an MRI should be done to check out the acoustic nerve, especially if dizziness, vertigo or hearing loss and balance problems occur.

Closed Thread

Tags
    tinnitus