It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board

• VN, now BPPV... I think?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-17-2013, 11:38 AM   #1
    lovineachday
    (female)

lovineachday HB Userlovineachday HB Userlovineachday HB Userlovineachday HB User
    Question VN, now BPPV... I think?

Hi guys... I used to post on here a few years ago, but since the VN (that took me forever to get over) I've been great. Mostly...

With the VN, I only ever had dizziness (and nausea). I got better slowly but surely and would have minor decomps now and then, but would get over them quickly.

A year ago I had true room spinning vertigo for a day or two with some residual nausea and dizziness. Then 5 days ago, I sat up too quickly in bed and the room started spinning (to the left). I spent a few days in bed, had a bad hormonal migraine, and did the log roll maneuver that the physio had given me instructions for. The first time I did it, I got vertigo when I laid down on my back for a few seconds. When I turned my head to the left I felt my eyes pulsating up and to the left for about 10 seconds. I did the maneuver again the next day and I got nothing. Yesterday I went to the physio, he repeated the maneuver for the right sided horizontal canal and got nothing. He believes its BPPV.

Just wondering why I still have some nausea and the "catch up" dizziness when I turn my head or move too fast. Can't figure out if this is decompensation or just the remnants of the BPPV?

Would love to hear from anyone that has any thoughts on this. I know I'll feel good again but can't help but be impatient.....

Thanks so much.... healing vibes to all!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-01-2013, 06:02 PM   #2
    mkk94
    (female)

mkk94 HB User
    Re: VN, now BPPV.... I think?

Hi,

Not sure that I have an answer to what you're experiencing but I'm also suffering from post VN BPPV. About 2 months ago, I had a sudden vertigo episode that resulted in an ER visit; the ENT referred me to an otologist who diagnosed VN (after the MRI came back normal) in the right ear. I've been on a slow recovery when about 2 weeks ago, I started to feel the spins again when I turned over to my left side in bed, usually early in the morning. The spins would stop when I righted myself.

I went to see the otologist again who said I now have BPPV in my other ear and did an Epley maneuver. The thing was that I actually felt worse after that - not the big vertigo spins but lots of lightheadedness and 1 second bouts of dizziness when I move my head. I've been instructed to start doing the Brandt-Daroff exercises at home (ugh, they're pretty horrible on the left side but I'm managing to complete them).

I'm not sure whether they'll eventually help but in the meantime, definitely feel like I've taken a couple of steps backwards. I've since read up and found that it's not uncommon for BPPV to occur after VN (although I wonder if it's unusual that in my case, it's not the same affected ear).

Anyways, this probably doesn't provide answers but it's always helpful to know that you're not alone in this!

Closed Thread