It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board

• Caloric Testing

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-24-2013, 04:27 PM   #1
    vincenzo1986
    (male)

vincenzo1986 HB User
    Caloric Testing

Can anyone relate to abnormal test results for this? If so, what are your symptoms? I suffer from tinnitus, hyperacusis and visual disturbances that are constant, a cross between oscillopsia and visual vertigo. I didn't get dizzy at all when they put the hot and cold water in my ears. I've been through a battery of testing. Please let me know if you can relate.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-24-2013, 07:34 PM   #2
    PaperRobot
    (male)

PaperRobot HB User
    Re: Caloric Testing

Sorry to hear about your symptoms.

I'm pretty sure most of us on here have been through the caloric testing and found that we have a weakness in one or both ears. Not getting dizzy indicates a weakness, but the test can have errors as well.

My first VNG back in June showed a 38% weakness in my left ear. A second VNG that I had done in September with a different tester showed the same result the first time we did it, but my tester was not satisfied. We did the test 3 times that day and on the 3rd try we re-adjusted the device and it was good and loud in my ear. The third time I got very dizzy in my left ear and the tester marked me as WNL (within normal limits).

My main symptoms are vertigo, disequilibrium, tinnitus, headaches, anxiety. I have eye issues as well, but I have a hard time describing them. I am pretty sure I have Vestibular Neuritis, but none of my doctors will say for sure. I've been at work only 2 weeks since June and those were not fun days. I've been in Vestibular Rehab for almost 3 months now.

I hope you find a fast solution to take care of your symptoms. Just know that many vestibular issues take time to correct themselves.

Old 11-25-2013, 08:54 AM   #3
    vincenzo1986
    (male)

vincenzo1986 HB User

Sounds good. I'm interested in hearing about your visual symptoms if you don't mind? Mine are very hard to describe as well and I'm having trouble finding someone to relate to. If you want, feel free to send me a private message.

Old 11-25-2013, 09:43 AM   #4
    PaperRobot
    (male)

PaperRobot HB User

Vin

MY visual symptoms are...

- When I read black text on a white page I get some purplish/blueish haze around it.
    - My ability to focus on some objects is less, usually close objects.
    - Sometimes when I reach the bottom of a webpage and I don't realize it and I continue scrolling expecting the page to move and it doesn't I feel a bounce.
    - Also, It just feels like I am able to take in less information through my eyes in general (if that makes sense).

I was walking home from the grocery store today and I just remember being able to sense more information around me then I was able to today. I always had a very strong sense of where cars were and whether or not I was in any danger of being hit. I feel that sense is limited now.

Let me know if these are symptoms that you can relate to.

Old 11-28-2013, 08:21 AM   #5
    vincenzo1986
    (male)

vincenzo1986 HB User

Well I can relate in the sense of a diminished lack of awareness. I have balance and gait problems and my vision symptoms are pretty intense. Everything I see has like a ripple or wave through it all the time. When I look at patterns or text the letters and words seem to slowly stretch and shrink and slightly oscillate. No one knows why either. I have had a full neuro work up and seen so many doctors. They are looking at MS still, but so far nothing. I'm noticing problems judging distances like if I reach for a glass of water or even when I'm driving I brake sooner to avoid any kind of issues. It's all weird.

Old 12-02-2013, 03:27 AM   #6
    Marie 67
    (female)

Marie 67 HB User

What can you tell me about tinnitus? Does it ever get better with time? I had a myringotomy over two weeks ago and my ear has been ringing ever since following immediately. I was still in the chair when it started ringing? Does anyone know about this and why it would happen? Doctor doesn/t know/ Help.

Closed Thread