It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board

• tinnitus

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-02-2013, 07:45 AM   #1
    paul955
    (male)

paul955 HB User
    tinnitus

hi..i had a bad ear infection folllowing which i was operated ( mastiodectomy) in my right ear 2 years ago. after the operation i was quite well. my hearing test are normal..everything was fine but suddenly from last 3 months..
    i started having a low frequency tinnitus in my right ear..it sounds like some kind of machinery sound..also have felling of vibration..this sound is present all the time..i went to ENT doctor who run all the test..all tests are normal except stapedial reflex which is absent.. doc has no idea whats wrong with me? anybody experienced similar episodes

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-08-2013, 01:44 PM   #2
    Marie 67
    (female)

Marie 67 HB User
    Re: tinnitus

Hi Paul,
    I had a myringotomy three weeks ago and my ear is ringing ever since. I've had muffled hearing which I think is normal but the ringing is scary. I didn't have it before and the ent doesn't know what to think. I've heard you can have tinnitus from a perforated eardrum which essentially myringotomy is. I'm afraid that the phenol that was used for the anesthetic to numb eardrum may have gotten into my inner ear and damaged it? Have you or anyone reading this heard about anything like this happening? If it gets in there it does damage the cochlea. Can you tell me anything about tinnitus? What is a stapedial reflex? Isn't that a bone in the middle ear? Do you have tinnitus in the one ear like I do? I want to know if it will go away? I'm afraid that it won't. Is yours sometimes more quiet than other times? Is that the way this is? Mine is loud. I have read on here about people who had myringotomies and got tinnitus after but I have been able to contact only one of them and that was only once. I didn't get to ask her a few more questions that I have. I would like to know how ear surgery or a myringotomy can have these effects on the ear? They say tinnitus and hearing loss go together but I didn't have any hearing loss prior to the myringotomy? How can a myringotomy cause hearing loss after the eardrum is healed? Someone please explain.

Old 12-08-2013, 01:46 PM   #3
    Marie 67
    (female)

Marie 67 HB User

Hi Paul,
    I had a myringotomy three weeks ago and my ear is ringing ever since. I've had muffled hearing which I think is normal but the ringing is scary. I didn't have it before and the ent doesn't know what to think. I've heard you can have tinnitus from a perforated eardrum which essentially myringotomy is. I'm afraid that the phenol that was used for the anesthetic to numb eardrum may have gotten into my inner ear and damaged it? Have you or anyone reading this heard about anything like this happening? If it gets in there it does damage the cochlea. Can you tell me anything about tinnitus? What is a stapedial reflex? Isn't that a bone in the middle ear? Do you have tinnitus in the one ear like I do? I want to know if it will go away? I'm afraid that it won't. Is yours sometimes more quiet than other times? Is that the way this is? Mine is loud. I have read on here about people who had myringotomies and got tinnitus after but I have been able to contact only one of them and that was only once. I didn't get to ask her a few more questions that I have. I would like to know how ear surgery or a myringotomy can have these effects on the ear? They say tinnitus and hearing loss go together but I didn't have any hearing loss prior to the myringotomy? How can a myringotomy cause hearing loss after the eardrum is healed? Someone please explain.

Old 12-20-2013, 07:41 PM   #4
    Marie 67
    (female)

Marie 67 HB User

I just read about no movement in the stapes and how it relates to otosclerosis. I would check that out online and read as much as you can about it. See if it sounds right. This tinnitus is driving me crazy even though it is much quieter than a couple of weeks ago. Is that the way tinnitus is? Does it start out shrieking loud and get much more quiet or do we just get use to it and it sounds that way? Do any hearing nerves get damaged from the tinnitus and is that why it gets more quiet?

Old 01-03-2014, 08:42 AM   #5
    paul955
    (male)

paul955 HB User

what are your hearing test reports? is your hearing normal?

Closed Thread