It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board

• Vestibular neuritis-my journey so far

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-06-2013, 09:35 AM   #1
    Chacker17
    (female)

Chacker17 HB User
    Vestibular neuritis-my journey so far

I'm glad that I found this message board and thankful that there is a community who understand what I'm going though.

On nov 10th I was in Penn station in NYC with my 3.5 year old daughter and aunt and just had a wonderful day in NYC. I bent down to grab something from the stroller before boarding the train and when I stood up I felt like I was going to pass out and that my brain was floating and I was moving. My aunt freaked out and said we have to get on the train. We did and the spinning and horrible sensation of movement continued along with the train my brain was in over drive. I then had a panic attack all hoping to just make it to the stop so we could get off the train. I had suffered a panic attack years before so I thought maybe this is some sort of panic disorder?? Got off the train and drove home still didn't feel right. The next morning I went to my dr and he said I had vertigo it would be for 2 weeks and gave me antivert to take. I had blood taken which all came back normal. I should preface that I had been to the dr the week before complaining of dizziness but it was attributed to a sinus infection he thought I had since I was starting to have a sore throat. I took leviquin an antibiotic 3 days before the incident in penn station. I know now for a fact that I was suffering from vestibular neuritis probably prior to the incident in penn station. I had gotten off an eliptical bike and felt very dizzy and heart racing but I attributed it to not cooling down. I also had about a week prior to the main incident a light headed feeling and chills each time I was eating. For me eating at the beginning would trigger a lot of feeling I was moving.
    Well I took the antivert meds and tried to take care of my daughter since I'm a stay at home mom. Trying to stay awake on antivert was the worst thing I did and it put me into a severe depression like state. I have a mother who suffers from depression and I felt like I was in a hole I couldn't get out of. I called my dr and asked if I could have a perscription for xanex anything I felt like I was in a constant state of anxiety and panic along with the constant movement and unbalance and stress of what I was going to do to take care of my daughter. I finally decided to the ER where they finally gave me valium which def helped to calm me down and understand that this is a virus and not an anxiety disorder. I went to my ENT and got the vestibular neuritis. My ent told me he had suffered from a bout of this years ago and everything I was feeling was normal the panic the anxiety and was disappointed I had to go to the ER to obtain something to help me. He prescribed valium which I took at night the first 10 days. I was able to get a nanny for my daughter. I'm in week 4 and each day is different. I came down with a cold during week 3 which I think set things off again. I'm getting better from the cold. I suffer from TMJ and think it's made it hard because a lot of times before this illness I would wake up with a horrible headache from teeth grinding.
    The mornings are the worst for me. I'm sensitive to light and feel very lightheaded and very out of it. The coughing has made my back and neck very sore. I just each morning hope I won't have the feeling of floating and just want to feel in control again.
    I haven't driven since this happened. I haven't been able to take care of my daughter which is the worst of all.
    I need advice on how to get back on my feet again I feel good some parts of the day and other parts I feel like I'm floating. I have been out of the house only a few times in 4 weeks. Always with my husband or a friend. This past Sunday we went out and I felt pretty good but I'm really afraid about going out alone. Maybe I'm just not there yet.

The Following User Says Thank You to Chacker17 For This Useful Post:
    munibul (12-11-2013)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-06-2013, 01:11 PM   #2
    biteneck
    (female)

biteneck HB Userbiteneck HB Userbiteneck HB User
    Re: Vestibular neuritis-my journey so far

Hello,
    I was diagnosed with VN in May 2012. Unfortunately, I am still have some problems. I thought I was doing better over the summer but then hit badly with a weird lightheadedness and thought I was going to pass out in the store. Since then I have not driven, am afraid to be out by myself and my mother and husband are driving my daughter and myself places. I also hate this feeling. It's very depressing and frustrating to not be able to drive and get out on my own. I have a 23 month old daughter. I think my problem with this starting up again was maybe due to two rides I went on in the summer. I have this weird feeling where I feel like I'm in a dream and get freaked out that I will pass out. I completely understand how you feel. I have heard several people get some relief with an SSRI. I guess it's supposed to help ease the worry and anxiety. I have an appointment with my inner ear doctor next week. I will ask about the SSRI then. I wish you the best. I know it's very upsetting. I have heard of people taking up to two years even five years to get fully over this. I know that is not what you wan to hear, but if it's truly VN, I have heard that there are many different symptoms people can feel and that they wane up and down over this time. I would say call an inner ear doctor to do more testing and see if there is a medication for you. Maybe ask about vestibular migraine also. The inner ear doctor is an neuro-otologist. You should get better, but it can take some time. The first 2-3 months are pretty bad. Mine is still affecting me and it's been bothering me since March 2012. God Bless and please let me know how you are doing.
    Nicole

Old 12-11-2013, 06:13 AM   #3
    LynnA
    (female)

LynnA HB User
    Re: Vestibular neuritis-my journey so far

I have similar symptoms as you but have failed to get an explanation to what is going on. I've suffered from chronic dizziness since August. I've had a hearing test that showed a slight hearing loss and tinnitus in both ears but moreso in the right. My dizziness is more present in the mornings/afternoons and fades a little by evenings. I also have a swollen tonsil on the same side as my right ear (that ear is in pain often but the ENT's said it looks fine). I feel as if I walk around in a daze as well and just have that foggy feeling all the time. I did start an SSRI 5 weeks ago to see if it would help and so far, it hasn't. Any suggestions?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chacker17 View Post
    I'm glad that I found this message board and thankful that there is a community who understand what I'm going though.

On nov 10th I was in Penn station in NYC with my 3.5 year old daughter and aunt and just had a wonderful day in NYC. I bent down to grab something from the stroller before boarding the train and when I stood up I felt like I was going to pass out and that my brain was floating and I was moving. My aunt freaked out and said we have to get on the train. We did and the spinning and horrible sensation of movement continued along with the train my brain was in over drive. I then had a panic attack all hoping to just make it to the stop so we could get off the train. I had suffered a panic attack years before so I thought maybe this is some sort of panic disorder?? Got off the train and drove home still didn't feel right. The next morning I went to my dr and he said I had vertigo it would be for 2 weeks and gave me antivert to take. I had blood taken which all came back normal. I should preface that I had been to the dr the week before complaining of dizziness but it was attributed to a sinus infection he thought I had since I was starting to have a sore throat. I took leviquin an antibiotic 3 days before the incident in penn station. I know now for a fact that I was suffering from vestibular neuritis probably prior to the incident in penn station. I had gotten off an eliptical bike and felt very dizzy and heart racing but I attributed it to not cooling down. I also had about a week prior to the main incident a light headed feeling and chills each time I was eating. For me eating at the beginning would trigger a lot of feeling I was moving.
    Well I took the antivert meds and tried to take care of my daughter since I'm a stay at home mom. Trying to stay awake on antivert was the worst thing I did and it put me into a severe depression like state. I have a mother who suffers from depression and I felt like I was in a hole I couldn't get out of. I called my dr and asked if I could have a perscription for xanex anything I felt like I was in a constant state of anxiety and panic along with the constant movement and unbalance and stress of what I was going to do to take care of my daughter. I finally decided to the ER where they finally gave me valium which def helped to calm me down and understand that this is a virus and not an anxiety disorder. I went to my ENT and got the vestibular neuritis. My ent told me he had suffered from a bout of this years ago and everything I was feeling was normal the panic the anxiety and was disappointed I had to go to the ER to obtain something to help me. He prescribed valium which I took at night the first 10 days. I was able to get a nanny for my daughter. I'm in week 4 and each day is different. I came down with a cold during week 3 which I think set things off again. I'm getting better from the cold. I suffer from TMJ and think it's made it hard because a lot of times before this illness I would wake up with a horrible headache from teeth grinding.
    The mornings are the worst for me. I'm sensitive to light and feel very lightheaded and very out of it. The coughing has made my back and neck very sore. I just each morning hope I won't have the feeling of floating and just want to feel in control again.
    I haven't driven since this happened. I haven't been able to take care of my daughter which is the worst of all.
    I need advice on how to get back on my feet again I feel good some parts of the day and other parts I feel like I'm floating. I have been out of the house only a few times in 4 weeks. Always with my husband or a friend. This past Sunday we went out and I felt pretty good but I'm really afraid about going out alone. Maybe I'm just not there yet.

Closed Thread