It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board

• labyrinthitis setback - antibiotics?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-08-2013, 01:36 AM   #1
    sammykaye
    (female)

sammykaye HB User
    labyrinthitis setback - antibiotics?

Hi guys

I had my first dizzy fit in August, and spent most the month back and forth to a doctor who basically sent me for blood tests, checked my pulse, gave me no medication and diagnosed me with stress. He didnt even look in my ears or eyes.

(note Ive had anxiety attacks since I was 15 and learnt to cope with them)

My symptoms since then have been the dizziness, brain fog, nausea, ear pain, ringing in my ears (its fairly high pitched and more noticeable when its quiet or Im laid down) feeling like I'm walking on a boat, my head when its foggy feels like it has a band round it, sore neck and anxiety went through the roof.

I have lost over a stone in weight due to the nausea and to be honest my diet is very bland and very basic now so I can keep it down.....basically cornflakes, toast, beans on toast, a new found love for semolina, bananas, a little bit of veg when I can manage it, and the occassional chip shop and copious amounts of water/tea and warm milk. Im aware the diet isnt helping but eating has become a real problem and mixed with anxiety of thinking Im going to swallow my tongue (even though I know I wont) is hard work.

Anyway I have now had this for almost 5 months, I saw a different doctor at the beginning of September and my last visit with her was the end of October - I had blood tests with the first doctor who diagnosed Stress - but the second doctor I saw did the balance test where she stood me up, feet together, hands at my side and closed my eyes? (anyone else had this test?) and then also the same repeated but with my arms out in front of me with my palms upturned and she tapped the underarm.....she then made the labyrinthitis diagnosis. She also examined my throat and said I had a little bit of an infection there, looked in my ears and said there was fluid behind the drums in both.

I have never had any medication for any of it and no other tests. No MRI, No ENT - nothing.

Either way I was doing well, was hoping for the magical 'ill wake up and its gone' but on Thursday I had really quite bad ear pain, went to bed that night, had toothache all night which was running through my jaw, into my ear etc, saw the dentist the next morning and have an abscess so am on amoxicillin (250g twice a day) started taking them friday and woke up yesterday morning and had a dizzy fit and felt horrible dizzy/woozy/fuzzy headed all day long......Im wondering if its the amoxycillin, the labyrinthitis or the infection which is playing havoc with my ears. Either way this morning I havent taken the antibiotics and I dont feel too bad but am aware my head is still blurry so I think a trip back to the doctors is in order.

Im just wondering if anyone else has had a setback with their labyrinthitis when taking antibiotics? and if a set back is common as this is the first big one Ive had and I felt like I was just getting some normality back to my life - I was able to do the school run, go shopping as long as the lights werent too bright and it wasnt too crowded.....

thanks guys.

Also if anyone is interested in Pming with this condition I could use someone who understands :-(

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-08-2013, 12:38 PM   #2
    biteneck
    (female)

biteneck HB Userbiteneck HB Userbiteneck HB User
    Re: labyrinthitis setback - antibiotics?

Hi there,
    I was diagnosed in May 2012 with vestibular neuritis. Basically same thing as labs. I was feeling much better over the summer but then in September I was in the grocery store and felt funny that morning. While in the store, I thought I was going to die or pass out. Ever since then, I have been having the worst dreamy-like feelings. I thought I was out of the woods but unfortunately I feel like I'm almost back at square one. I have not taken antibiotics this year. I am sorry but I cannot answer your question about those. But I wanted you to know that you are not alone. I have had the very bad dizzies too. I wish you the best and a quick recovery.

Closed Thread