It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board

• When driving the cars seem to blur?? Among other symptoms after BVD

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-24-2013, 07:36 PM   #1
    Candi1006
    Inactive
    (female)

Candi1006 HB User
    Question When driving the cars seem to blur?? Among other symptoms after BVD

Can anyone make light of this? I am convinced my eyes have completely compensated for my ears as I am no longer dizzy unless I go on an elevator, in a car at night, etc.

For the past several months after completing vestibular rehab for bilateral vestibulopathy this started. I first noticed it when driving one day that passing cars looked like they were going faster than they should.... Like my eyes couldn't keep up with them. Then I started noticing how they appeared to be moving in motion funny. Next I started noticing how when I moved my eyes to follow the cars movement I could see in my lower peripheral that the cars wheel seems to stop several times in my vision like I am getting a snippet of a frame. I see this more in my peripheral at certain times like walking.

Past history :
    2006 woke up to the room spinning. Was told I had some balance issues and some inner ear issues but was only given nasal steroids as the dr thought mold exposure was the cause. I began experiencing photophobia, horizontal blinds would shake and I got lots of floaters. I felt like I was floating for a few weeks. I started getting anxiety and was out of Prozac. Within a month I was about 85% back to normal aside from issues with fluorescent lighting and feeling a little detached. I would occasionally get weird brain zaps that would make me feel like I was falling down or my head was dropping. I also had moments of feeling like my head was under water and everything was muffled sounding.
    By 2008 I started noticing funny things going on with my vision again. Horizontal blinds were shaking again, I was seeing white things flying in my vision and started getting these random colors that would pop up in my vision. I stopped taking Prozac around that time as well and thought it was the culprit.

I soon, early 2009, found out I was pregnant and blamed that as well even thought symptoms were there prior to both events.

My mother passed in April 2009 and I became pretty stressed. By then I was seeing trailing in my vision in low light. Very rarely did I ever feel off balance or anything... I don't really recall getting off balanced at all. I was in a car accident at 8 months pregnant and started seeing a chiropractor.

By the time I had my son I decided it was time to go back on Prozac for the anxiety I was experiencing again. Within a month I felt very detached. I remember having a couple of episodes of vertigo when I was lying in bed, they passed quickly. Along with the Prozac came migraines from out of the blue. I decided to switch to Zoloft to see if it helped and within 3 days when the headaches left I was noticing static in my vision.

Since this time I have been on and off and now on verapamil again for what I am told is basilar migraine because unused to get off balance when A migraine would hit... That eventually stopped and now I just get knock you on your butt painful migraines around my period. My dizziness is still only there when in the car at night, mainly when driving over 45 mph., elevators, large moving screens, etc. and only briefly will I feel off and then I am back to normal. My vision, however, is getting worse and I don't understand why. As I said above regarding my vision... It is almost like seeing things in frames, but it's super fast like a strobe light is going off or like looking through an oscillating fan in my peripheral vision. I can only think that the reason I am seeing moving cars look so funny and not smoothly is because at a distance anything you look at includes your periphery. Either that or my front part of my vision is getting hung up on the background vision.... If that makes sense.

I am hoping someone has an idea of what is going on. I feel like I am alone in this disorder.... I know I am progressing and I can't imagine what that will mean for me in the next few years. I have a son and a husband and sometimes I feel like just leaving and living alone so I wouldn't be bothered with going anywhere or even getting in their way. I am 31 and just want my life back.

All I know is this started with dizziness and now it's ended with vision issues. I am fine when I am at home, this only bothers me when I am looking at moving cars or actually in a moving car.

Thank you all!

Last edited by Candi1006; 12-24-2013 at 07:40 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-28-2013, 02:17 PM   #2
    uga
    (male)

uga HB User
    Re: When driving the cars seem to blur?? Among other symptoms after BVD

Have you had your inner ears tested with eng or rotary chair testing to determine if your inner ear function is gone or damaged?

Do things bounce in your vision when you walk?
    How is your balance? How is balance in dark or low uneven surfaces?

Old 12-28-2013, 04:03 PM   #3
    Candi1006
    Inactive
    (female)

Candi1006 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by uga View Post
    Have you had your inner ears tested with eng or rotary chair testing to determine if your inner ear function is gone or damaged?

Do things bounce in your vision when you walk?
    How is your balance? How is balance in dark or low uneven surfaces?
    Hi, yes things bounce slightly in my vision when I walk, but not to the extent that I can't see things or that they blur like oscillopsia is described.

I had an eng and caloric testing and it showed very little function in my right ear and a little bit better in my left ear. I did vestibular rehab and was tested again and told my function was getting a lot better, but still some residual issues with my right ear. He denied giving me a rotary chair test and said it would tell him the same thing and that it was expensive.

I have good balance except at night when in a car I get a little motion sick with higher speeds of 40 plus mph or any sharp turns, etc. I am fairly good in my own house at night because I know the lay out.

I am fine with uneven surfaces if I look down, like with stairs I have to watch each step because I am not coordinated and am scared I will fall.

Old 12-29-2013, 05:47 AM   #4
    Candi1006
    Inactive
    (female)

Candi1006 HB User

Thanks for replying by the way- I was reading. Your previous posts and see we had a lot of similar symptoms. Have you experienced this odd tracking phenomenon too?

Old 12-29-2013, 11:31 AM   #5
    uga
    (male)

uga HB User

We definitely sound like we share a lot of the same symptoms. I have lost function in both ears as well. I had the oscillopsia with bouncy and blurt vision but over the course of ine it has gotten a lot better as my brain has compensated.
    The one thing that I struggle with Is the non stop fatigue, I am always tired and I also struggle with places like Wal Mart, Home Depot, Grocery store, places with a lot of commotion. There are times I just was to get an electric wheelchair ot scooter when I am out all day and save my energy but I know I need to push myself and make myself move. Like you, I also worry about falling and really hurting myself, especially as I get older. I hope to be as well as Manybikes on the forum one day. Keep pushing forward. Not easy or fun that's for sure.

Old 12-29-2013, 01:25 PM   #6
    Candi1006
    Inactive
    (female)

Candi1006 HB User

Hi, Uga!

Did you ever experience the moving vehicles appearing to stop and move, almost like a stop motion film (Like gumby). It looks like I can see a quick snap shot of the rims while in motion and the car appears to jerk at times.

I have to wear a hat and sunglasses into the supermarket, otherwise I get disoriented.

I have followed Manybikes posts and would like to say I am about 99% functioning when it comes to dizziness... it really takes a lot to make me dizzy with a few exceptions Otherwise I am mainly visual with my problems now. Seems like my eyes do all the work now.

I used to get that awful tired feeling too... it would hit me within a couple of hours and by the time I was home from work I was beat and would pass out. I have been working through this whole ordeal unfortunately, but it may be why my dizziness cleared up pretty quickly. I've heard that it's best to keep yourself in the busy environments so your brain and ears can sort it all out and get used to it.

Happy New Year!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by uga View Post
    We definitely sound like we share a lot of the same symptoms. I have lost function in both ears as well. I had the oscillopsia with bouncy and blurt vision but over the course of ine it has gotten a lot better as my brain has compensated.
    The one thing that I struggle with Is the non stop fatigue, I am always tired and I also struggle with places like Wal Mart, Home Depot, Grocery store, places with a lot of commotion. There are times I just was to get an electric wheelchair ot scooter when I am out all day and save my energy but I know I need to push myself and make myself move. Like you, I also worry about falling and really hurting myself, especially as I get older. I hope to be as well as Manybikes on the forum one day. Keep pushing forward. Not easy or fun that's for sure.

Old 12-29-2013, 02:24 PM   #7
    uga
    (male)

uga HB User

Happy new year as well!

Most if my problems at point are some bouncy/blurry vision when I am stressed or very tired and I also have problems with fast moving object, I cannot or lets say I have a difficult time tracking fast moving objects and like you in busy stores or stores with lots of visual stimuli I get disoriented if I am not holding onto something.

I tend to do a lot better indoors than outdoors with all the visual stimuli from movement. I do not get dizzy as I have zero vestibular function in either ear. I can ride roller coasters all day and not feel a thing. I am the king of amusement parks. Lol
    I just don't like walking in them with all the crowds, I have a hard time with crowds.

Old 12-29-2013, 04:13 PM   #8
    Candi1006
    Inactive
    (female)

Candi1006 HB User

Haha, I haven't tried a roller coaster ride at all as I am sooo scared of heights!!!!

The way I describe my disorientation is my eyes feel dizzy.... Like they are trying to take in too much info. Sometimes when driving in my periphery I get the disappearing and reappearing of moving cars. But when I try to focus on regular moving cars I can keep my eyes on them fine.... Maybe because I know the direction it's going but I think my eyes and brain can not handle the movement, it's so strange. Then it makes my eyes feel funny to where they almost hurt.

Do you have tinnitus too? What any visual stuff like afterimages?

Talk to you soon!!
    Candi

Old 02-06-2014, 01:29 PM   #9
    Candi1006
    Inactive
    (female)

Candi1006 HB User

Going to bump this back up to see if anyone else has this.

Old 02-27-2014, 09:20 AM   #10
    manybikes
    (male)

manybikes HB Usermanybikes HB User

Hi skimordiegirl...and also UGA !
    Have not chatted with you for awhile Uga.

Anyway..Skimordiegirl, you mentioned that you were tested again and they said your function had improved, did that mean your actual vestibular function had improved or your compensation skills had improved?

Sounds like you may have some residual function remaining.

Cheers
    Manybikes

Old 02-27-2014, 11:39 AM   #11
    Candi1006
    Inactive
    (female)

Candi1006 HB User

Hi Many a bikes

My dr didn't explain to much except that after he did the repeat vng that it was showing better function than it had previously. He thinks I was compensating well. The only problem is my eyes were the ones compensating, at least that is what my vision therapist believes. My eyes are what make me feel dizzy now.

My ENT Dr hasn't been much help since my vision got bad. He just said he thinks I have visual vertigo and some optokinetic nystagmus issue and sent me on my way. I have stopped the vestibular exercises since I am hardly ever off balance except in large busy environments when my eyes can't keep up with all the fast movement of cars.

I saw an opthalmologist about my vision stuff and he said I have some physical eye issues, nystagmus when looking far left, right up or down. He said the peripheral vision stuff is normal but normal people don't notice it and I am hyper aware. The thing is I can't ignore it. It's like I see little snap shots of fast moving objects in my peripheral like the spinning rims on cars or my ceiling fan. Otherwise I am fine... It's so strange.

Thanks for replying.

All the best,

Candi

Closed Thread

Tags
    driving and blurred vision, frame vision, skipping vision, stop motion vision