It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board

• Labrynthitis vs Menieres recovery?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-13-2014, 08:03 PM   #1
    aceman626
    (male)

aceman626 HB User
    Labrynthitis vs Menieres recovery?

Background:

So about 16-17 days ago I started getting bit of tinnitus in my right ear, which I didn't think much of because I was traveling/flying overseas for vacation and I thought maybe I was just a bit under the weather or a minor cold. It didn't bother much since the ringing in the ear was slight. After I came back, about 6-7 days ago, I was sleeping when I was suddenly woke in the middle of the night up to an extremely loud/high pitched tinnitus in the ear, and serious vertigo/dizziness. This was the first time I have ever experienced this so I was very scared. I stumbled into a cab to the emergency room where they diagnosed me with Labrynthitis. The episode lasted about 2 hours. The ER doc said it will clear up by itself in a couple weeks and gave me some anti-vertigo meds to be taken if symptoms occur. The next day I went to the ENT for a second opinion, who said it could be Labrynthitis but also could be Meniere's, it's almost impossible to tell the 2 apart. She said she can prescribe me steriods, which would treat both, or diruetics, which only treats Menieres. So I got 2 weeks Predisonone steroids to start and now am in the middle of doing that. Might go with diruetics later if steroids don't work. After that one vertigo episode I feel fine now except for the minor tinnitus still going on. I have no problem sleeping, moving around, working on the computer or watching tv.

Questions:

1) How do you tell if you have Labrynthitis or Menieres?
    2) What is the difference in symptoms between the 2?
    3) Is it possible to make a full recovery for either in a few weeks?
    4) What are the chances of brain tumor with my symptoms? The doc ordered an MRI as well to check on that.
    5) Is it okay to travel on planes with these 2 conditions?

Thanks!

Last edited by aceman626; 01-13-2014 at 08:34 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-14-2014, 11:06 AM   #2
    biteneck
    (female)

biteneck HB Userbiteneck HB Userbiteneck HB User
    Re: Labrynthitis vs Menieres recovery?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aceman626 View Post
    Background:

So about 16-17 days ago I started getting bit of tinnitus in my right ear, which I didn't think much of because I was traveling/flying overseas for vacation and I thought maybe I was just a bit under the weather or a minor cold. It didn't bother much since the ringing in the ear was slight. After I came back, about 6-7 days ago, I was sleeping when I was suddenly woke in the middle of the night up to an extremely loud/high pitched tinnitus in the ear, and serious vertigo/dizziness. This was the first time I have ever experienced this so I was very scared. I stumbled into a cab to the emergency room where they diagnosed me with Labrynthitis. The episode lasted about 2 hours. The ER doc said it will clear up by itself in a couple weeks and gave me some anti-vertigo meds to be taken if symptoms occur. The next day I went to the ENT for a second opinion, who said it could be Labrynthitis but also could be Meniere's, it's almost impossible to tell the 2 apart. She said she can prescribe me steriods, which would treat both, or diruetics, which only treats Menieres. So I got 2 weeks Predisonone steroids to start and now am in the middle of doing that. Might go with diruetics later if steroids don't work. After that one vertigo episode I feel fine now except for the minor tinnitus still going on. I have no problem sleeping, moving around, working on the computer or watching tv.

Questions:

4) What are the chances of brain tumor with my symptoms? The doc ordered an MRI as well to check on that.

Thanks!
    Hi there,
    I've been having problems with inner ear stuff for almost two years. I will try to answer some of your questions:

Usually labs will go away over a period of six weeks and you should be your regular self again. With Menieres I've heard that it is a vertigo/sick episode that can bother you for a couple hours but after that you are ok for a while and then it can come on again. Some people still have bouts of labs even months or years after they first have it. Meaning, they might still feel some dizzies or lightheadedness once in a while.
    I think their symptoms are very similar. Labs is an inflammation of the inner ear nerve.
    Meniere's is pretty much an on going thing that goes into remission. Labs is supposed to have recovery in about 6 weeks, but a lot of people it can take longer. The worse should go away in those 6 weeks, but then you can still have some dizzies for a few months afterwards. Or even years depending on if there was damage to your inner ear nerve from the inflammation.

I would say it's rare for a brain tumor, the doctors like to have an MRI done just to rule out those things and to give you peace of mind too. Just to warn you, the MRI is loud with lots of tinging and bangs. It's a noisy thing but just relax and you can ask for a cloth to put over your eyes if you feel nervous. I had MRI done in 2012 and it went well. I did not worry or have anxiety and I did not even feel claustrophobic, however, I just had one done last week and I was all those. I don't get it, but since Sept. 2013, my anxiety has been very high. I am praying that goes away so my compensation can complete from my inner ear damage.
    It depends on the person. I would say wait another couple weeks before you plan anything. If you have to fly, talk to the doctor and tell him or her about your concerns of flying with this. I flew in October 2013 and felt really good in the plane during the flight but I was very dizzy and disoriented feeling in the airports. Maybe take some anti-anxiety to help calm down.

I hope this helps.
    Let us know how you are.
    Take care,
    Nicole

Old 01-15-2014, 02:51 PM   #3
    aceman626
    (male)

aceman626 HB User
    Re: Labrynthitis vs Menieres recovery?

Thanks Nicole for the encouraging words! Were your ears completely fine prior to the 2 years? What condition do you have, I suppose you have Meniere's instead of Labs, yours lasted longer than 6-8 weeks? Did you take any diuretic medication to help with Menieres? Lastly, have you heard of actual people making a full recovery from Labs in 6 weeks?

Closed Thread