It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board

• diziness/head pressure and tinnitus

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-22-2014, 09:07 AM   #1
    dmi
    (male)

dmi HB User
    diziness/head pressure and tinnitus

for the last 3 months ive been experiencing strange symptoms. im a 30 yo male with no other significant health problems to speak of. all symptoms seemed to start around the same time. i have tinnitus in both ears, more in my right ear but no hearing loss at all.
    I also am getting strange sensations in my head. im experiencing throbbing/tingling pulses in my forehead just above my eyes. these come in pulses like a heartbeat but there is no pain. just a feeling of throbbing or pressure in my lower forehead. its almost like a migraine or headache with no pain at all. reading/focusing on something nearby makes this a lot worse - the throbbing pressure increases but again with no pain. after a while this begins to make me dizzy and and some occasions has made me nauseous and sick. i dont experience any balance issues and have never collapsed or had to grab hold of something to keep my balance
    if i look around a lot or drive or go for a walk the the throbbing seems to stop. and strangely if im sitting down and move or twitch part of my body constantly the throbbing disappears...even if i lightly scratch my face it seems to stop. as soon i sit still the throbbing returns. ive been off work for the last number of weeks because i simply cant do any reading or look at a monitor
    my first thought was vertigo but my doctor was not convinced as he said i would be struggling to keep my balance. he gave a me a prescription of Betahistine but this had no effect. im now on a waiting list to see an ENT. my optician also dropped the prescription of my glasses to see if this would help and it seemed to work for about 2 weeks when the throbbing then returned
    has anyone ever experienced something like this? im convinced it has to be inner ear related due to the associated tinnitus which gets worse as the dizziness gets worse. migraine associated vertigo has occurred to me but i have no history of migraines the past

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2014, 03:35 PM   #2
    biteneck
    (female)

biteneck HB Userbiteneck HB Userbiteneck HB User
    Re: diziness/head pressure and tinnitus

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmi View Post
    for the last 3 months ive been experiencing strange symptoms. im a 30 yo male with no other significant health problems to speak of. all symptoms seemed to start around the same time. i have tinnitus in both ears, more in my right ear but no hearing loss at all.
    I also am getting strange sensations in my head. im experiencing throbbing/tingling pulses in my forehead just above my eyes. these come in pulses like a heartbeat but there is no pain. just a feeling of throbbing or pressure in my lower forehead. its almost like a migraine or headache with no pain at all. reading/focusing on something nearby makes this a lot worse - the throbbing pressure increases but again with no pain. after a while this begins to make me dizzy and and some occasions has made me nauseous and sick. i dont experience any balance issues and have never collapsed or had to grab hold of something to keep my balance
    if i look around a lot or drive or go for a walk the the throbbing seems to stop. and strangely if im sitting down and move or twitch part of my body constantly the throbbing disappears...even if i lightly scratch my face it seems to stop. as soon i sit still the throbbing returns. ive been off work for the last number of weeks because i simply cant do any reading or look at a monitor
    my first thought was vertigo but my doctor was not convinced as he said i would be struggling to keep my balance. he gave a me a prescription of Betahistine but this had no effect. im now on a waiting list to see an ENT. my optician also dropped the prescription of my glasses to see if this would help and it seemed to work for about 2 weeks when the throbbing then returned
    has anyone ever experienced something like this? im convinced it has to be inner ear related due to the associated tinnitus which gets worse as the dizziness gets worse. migraine associated vertigo has occurred to me but i have no history of migraines the past
    Hello,
    I have been told that migraine associated vertigo does not have to cause actual headaches. I would see a neurologist and an inner ear doctor. I have 25% damage to my inner ear nerve and it seems to have messed me up for the past two years. I pray you can get some straight answers and good treatment.
    Take care.
    Nicole

Old 01-25-2014, 11:06 AM   #3
    LynnA
    (female)

LynnA HB User

Dim I too have tinnitus in both ears and constant dizziness. I do have a slight high frequency hearing loss but not bad enough for correction. I'm convinced my dizziness and head pressure has to do with my inner ears / tinnitus. It's just seems all too interrelated to me. I've had my ears checked numerous times and they are fine...I just feel some damage was done back in aug via a antibiotic or inner ear virus. It sucks it walk around with dizziness...along with tinnitus. It's a huge battle everyday.

Old 01-25-2014, 01:50 PM   #4
    biteneck
    (female)

Hi LynnA
    Did you see a neuro-otologist? They specialize in inner ear and will give you testing that can check for inner ear damage.
    I hope you get to feeling better.
    Nicole

Old 01-25-2014, 03:55 PM   #5
    LynnA
    (female)

LynnA HB User

Biteneck I have an appointment with one in Feb to get a VNG so this might give me some answers regarding the dizziness. I believe the tinnitus is something I'll have for life, unfortunately. Have you seen one before? I really believe I have inner ear damage. What have been your symptoms the past 2 years?

Old 01-25-2014, 05:36 PM   #6
    biteneck
    (female)

Hi LynnA,
    I have dizziness a lot and feel disoriented in the dark. Now, since September, I've been having very bad anxiety and panic, worrying that something is worse. I have these dreamy feelings. Where I feel like things are not real, it's scary sometimes and makes me feel like I'm in a bad dream or coma that I cannot wake up from. I wish that would stop. It's happened about 8 times since then. I keep praying that it will go away and I will be better. I believe miracles can happen and I keep praying about it.
    I saw an inner ear doctor in December and he diagnosed me with visual vestibular hypersensitivity, also known as migraine associate vertigo. He put me on Klonopin but that's just for anxiety and I do not think it's helping much. What really sucks is that in the summer last year, 2013, I was feeling a good bit better and was able to drive around a little. Now I'm so depressed because I am having these dreamy feelings again and now feeling worse at times.
    I hope you will get better.
    Take care,
    Nicole

Old 01-26-2014, 08:54 AM   #7
    LynnA
    (female)

LynnA HB User

Biteneck so did you have a VNG performed? I've had dizziness since August (I also have tinnitus as well and wonder if the two are related in some way). During these months from Aug-Nov I had really bad health anxiety since I couldn't figure out the dizziness (had 2 mri and were normal-one of my ears and brain). I started lexapro 3 months ago for anxiety and depression but it doesn't seem to help matters in terms of the dizziness. I get that foggy feeling/dream state as well but I can't figure out if it's the medicine or me. This feeling gives me more anxiety and depression so it's an endless loop for me I can't seem to break. It's a pain since the dizziness never goes away...some days are worse than others but it's always there. Did you doc recommend vestibular therapy? I'm taking the VNG test in a few weeks but I'm not sure what will come of it besides a recommendation for therapy. Dizziness is disabling...I wouldn't wish it on anyone. Keep in touch.

Old 01-26-2014, 06:43 PM   #8
    biteneck
    (female)

Hi LynnA
    Yes, the dizziness and tinnitus can be related together. I had a VNG in May 2012 and they showed 25% unilateral loss. I guess it was vestibular neuritis but I started feeling better in summer 2013 and was driving. I still felt a little dreamy but it was fading. Then in a grocery store in September 2013 I felt horrid. Felt like everything was off, dream like and that I could not wake up. Like my brain was in a coma and I couldn't break out. It scared me and has happened about 8 times since. I saw inner ear doc in December 2013 and he said it was visual vestibular hypersensitivity also known as migraine associated vertigo. He put me on Klonopin but that's only for anxiety. So I see him again Feb 21 for a follow-up and I'm hoping to try an anti-depressant to help me deal with this.
    Take care and let me know who your appointment.
    Nicole

Old 01-27-2014, 05:29 PM   #9
    LynnA
    (female)

LynnA HB User

Biteneck thanks for the reply. So upon your findings of a 25% loss do they recommend vestibular therapy or any other recommendations or just the klonopin? I hear taking klonopin negates out any PT that might be useful. I suffer from anxiety as well...so I really wonder at times is the dizziness caused by my anxiety (although 24/7 is hard to believe), is it caused due to the tinnitus (I also have a high frequency hearing loss in both ears), or maybe a virus that attacked my inner ears (ent thought this at one time since I have a swollen tonsil and a few swollen lymph nodes around my neck area-not huge at all but I can feel there is a difference from one side of the back of my neck than the other, not visible though). So who knows...I really wish i could figure it out, it isn't any fun feeling this way all time since this past August. I get more dizzy in stores as well...it's discouraging since I feel like running simple errands is a chore now and it makes my anxiety worse when I get more dizzy!

Old 01-27-2014, 09:00 PM   #10
    biteneck
    (female)

Hello,
    I did only about two weeks of VRT and it did not seem to help. That at in May 2012. I just waited it out thinking it was getting better and it did seem like it last summer 2013 because I did not have the anxiety like now and I was not dizzy in stores and I was able to drive. Now, ever since September and that horrendus feeling I had, I am having bad anxiety and agoraphobia, where I am afraid to go outside or anywhere. I am on Klonopin because the inner ear doctor said that the 25% loss is not too bad and thought it sounded more like migraine associated vertigo. Although I do not get migraines, I do have a pressure on both sides of my head pretty much all the time and my head feels heavy all the time. I hope you get some answers and help. My follow up is Feb 21. The Klonopin helps me sleep but it makes me so groggy and not want to get out of bed in the mornings. Which is not good because I have a two year old little girl whom I need to take care off. All this first hit me 10 weeks after giving birth. My poor little girl has never known the real me because of me having post partum depression right after her birth, then I got a sinus infection/cold then this hit. So I haven't been my normal self in over two years. It's very discouraging and depressing. I hope you can find good help.
    Let me know how you are doing.
    Nicole

Old 01-29-2014, 12:44 PM   #11
    LynnA
    (female)

LynnA HB User

Biteneck it is really hard to live with this with kids, isn't it? What I wouldn't do to feel normal again. Did you say you have tinnitus as well? I really think mine are related but what I can do about it is beyond me. I'll have the vng feb 23 and then probably vestibular therapy. I just can't tell if I'm foggy all the time due to my antidepressant or not. It is scary that all this hit after a cold/sinus infection and the birth of your daughter. I hear you with the constant anxiety...it's all the time for me as well...I just feel downright uncomfortable in my own skin. Do you get out to stores at all? If so, how's the dizziness? It always seems to get intensified for me in stores...again I can't tell if it's my anxiety or my ears. I'm hoping m anxiety decreases in time on the lexapro (as well as the dizziness)....I'll keep you posted...so far not so lucky. My neighbor printed me out a study on people with chronic subjective dizziness and ssri use and it looked promising...who knows in time. If I find the link online I'll message it to you.

Old 01-29-2014, 07:43 PM   #12
    biteneck
    (female)

Hello,
    I do go to stores a few times. I am not driving. My husband or mom take me out when I need to go out. It's very depressing because I miss driving and I feel like I've loss so much of my independence. I cannot take me little girl anywhere anymore. Very frustrating and depressing. I have tinnitus a little bit. I do not have it all the time. I do get dizzy and feeling lightheaded in stores and sounds bother me too. My head starts to feel like a bobble head. I have the derealization feeling like things are not real.
    Just to let you know, when you get the eng/vng testing, you might also have a caloric testing which they put either water or air into your ears to test for vestibular problems. It might make you dizzy. Just to warn you in advance.
    I hope you will be ok. Please keep me updated.
    Take care,
    Nicole

Old 01-30-2014, 08:48 AM   #13
    LynnA
    (female)

LynnA HB User

Hey Biteneck I'm sure not being able to drive is tough...I sure hope things even out for you and the dizziness subsides. I do get those same sensations in stores as well. Maybe trying an ssri might help? If you type in chronic subjective dizziness ssri on google a few scholarly articles pop up on the top of the page...those are ones I've read. I am getting the rotating chair test and caloric test for the vng and one other part too...I'm not looking forward to becoming more dizzy though...sound like midevil torture.

Old 01-30-2014, 10:03 AM   #14
    biteneck
    (female)

I hope you will be fine. Please keep me updated and let me know if you have an vestibular loss. That will show up on the caloric test. If you do, they might recommend VRT. It's vestibular rehabilitation therapy. I only did it two weeks and I needed to do it a lot longer than that. That was almost two years ago. But I do not understand why I was doing better last year. Although, I was exercising a lot more and maybe that was helping my brain compensate. I do not know. I will definitely be asking about an SSRI. That might help for the dizzies I probably get from anxiety of the original dizziness. Did you say you also feel the derealization, that is when things do not seem real?
    Keep in touch and hope you feel better.
    Nicole

Old 01-30-2014, 01:56 PM   #15
    LynnA
    (female)

LynnA HB User

I'll keep you updates. I often get low level nausea from the dizziness as well...I hate that but it seems to come with the territory. I'll probably go down the vrt road as well. I'm pretty much dizzy 24/7 and it's hard to wrap my head around that it's anxiety which never lets up...but i do get dizzier when I'm anxious though, which is often...I can't win! It's just one of those symptoms I'd love to get rid of...it's awful and nobody really gets it either. I get the derealization from time...maybe once a day depending on what I'm doing. It's comes in waves for me. Thanks for the support!

QUOTE=biteneck;5262208]I hope you will be fine. Please keep me updated and let me know if you have an vestibular loss. That will show up on the caloric test. If you do, they might recommend VRT. It's vestibular rehabilitation therapy. I only did it two weeks and I needed to do it a lot longer than that. That was almost two years ago. But I do not understand why I was doing better last year. Although, I was exercising a lot more and maybe that was helping my brain compensate. I do not know. I will definitely be asking about an SSRI. That might help for the dizzies I probably get from anxiety of the original dizziness. Did you say you also feel the derealization, that is when things do not seem real?
    Keep in touch and hope you feel better.
    Nicole[/QUOTE]

The following user gives a hug of support to LynnA:
    biteneck (01-31-2014)
    Closed Thread

Tags
    dizziness, head pressure, tinnitus