It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board

• After 10 years of suffering, neck makes it worse

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-30-2014, 07:47 AM   #1
    SweetSori
    (female)

SweetSori HB User
    Red face After 10 years of suffering, neck makes it worse

I posted a couple of days ago regarding an update on my condition, no actual spinning, yet constant imbalance after 10 years of "misterious ear illness". I will be going back to the ENT next week after so many years, but I wanted to add something.

For all of you suffering from depression and anxiety because of this, get it treated RIGHT AWAY. itīs best if you can cope with a psychologist, because it will take toll on the rest of your body..

Personally, I never got treated, so after so many years of fighting against this, not knowing what I have, not being able to do the things I used to love, I developed strong anxiety and depression on and off.

This originated a lot of neck tension, and now I have horrible neck problems that lead to even more unbalance and weird feelings. Besides the neck pain I feel i can never hold my head straight and normal, I always find a way to hold my head with my hand, or do the forward head posture. My PT told me that this could cause dizziness, vertigo etc. so I am trying hard to correct it so it will stop aggravating the inner ear problem but I cant, im just too anxious.

I get to a really low point, I am losing all hope of being normal, doing fun things, etc. I seem to have a perfect life, a great boyfriend, a house, a great family, a well paid job, Iīm 27...but I donīt enjoy any of that, and I donīt talk about my phsyical problems anymore to anyone because they get tired of hearing it.

My boyfriend thinks Iīm rude at times or that I dont feel like doing stuff with him..but I just dont have the strenght to do anything anymore, just work and get paid to survive.

Itīs sad because I dont travel, I rarerly go out, I just wake up and think about how horrible I feel, especially from my neck pain. I have tried pilates, yoga..but makes my symptoms worst.

So be careful with anxiety and tension, try to not let it get to your shoulders, neck area...

Take care and if anyone has feedback or can relate, you are more than welcome.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-30-2014, 09:53 AM   #2
    biteneck
    (female)

biteneck HB Userbiteneck HB Userbiteneck HB User
    Re: After 10 years of suffering, neck makes it worse

Hello,
    Have you ever been tested for any inner ear problems at all? Or is this appointment with the ENT next week your first ever? Why didn't you go to the doctor like this in the past 10 years?
    I have 25% vestibular loss and feel a lot like you do. I was better last summer and was driving more often but still not anything like I used to. I also feel at a loss and like my life is over. I just had a little girl 10 weeks before all this hit me. Like I said, I was doing better last summer until late September and got a horrible feeling while in a grocery store like I was going to pass out, everything felt funny, off, like I was in a bad dream and could not wake up. Since then, that feeling has happened about 10 other times. I try not to let it bother me, but it's such a scary feeling. I was told it was that since my inner ear balance is messed up, that my brain perceives things wrong. Then the anxiety makes it worse. I am taking Klonopin and it seems to help a little with the anxiety. I will be asking about an antidepressant at my next appointment. Maybe you should ask your doctor if an antidepressant would help you.
    Take care and I hope you feel yourself soon.
    Nicole

Old 02-06-2014, 12:27 AM   #3
    SweetSori
    (female)

SweetSori HB User
    Thumbs up Re: After 10 years of suffering, neck makes it worse

Hello, thank you for your reply!

I have been to all kind of doctors in the past 10 years, and the testing that was done was caloric testing and cat scans, caloric testing I could not finish because of the vertigo it produced and cat scan showed nothing abnormal.

Yesterday I went to the neurotologist for the first time. He put a tube with a camera up my nose, and told me that my eustachian tubes looked fine, and he thought it was not related to my ear. Í thought to myself, how can he see if my nerve is inflammed or if something inside is wrong? I trusted him anyways because he said he was going to do further testing and not to worry because heīd figure it out.

Itīs the first time I tell a doctor "the ground moves when I walk" and he doesnīt think Iīm crazy, he actually said its a common symptom.

So on Monday Iīm schedchuled for further testing, not sure what he will be doing but I trust this doctor for some reason.

I told him all other doctors attributed it to anxiety and gave me depression pills and he thought it was absurd...

So I actually wanted to cry when he told me heīd figure out what the problem was. heīd test me for everthing.

Anyway, regarding your grocery store incident, this is very common amongst inner ear problems, but also a problem with anxiety.

I too have this problem and even if I look like an idiot, I wear sunglasses in store, we are just more sensitive to fluorescent light.

Iīm hoping to find answers and share them on the board to help anyone I can, so I wil be posting on Monday post testing.

One thing that he did mention when going up my nose with the camera was that one of the cavities was way too narrow and he could not get the camera through without hurting me. This could mean that I donīt take in enough ear to decompensate my eas, this was told by a doctor many years ago and I did not belive him. So nose suergery for deviated septum would be my last resort to try if I donīt find answers.

I will keep you posted.

Thanks and take the best of care. Remember to be kind yourself, donīt get angry at yourself for this, instead take it easy by letting yourself feel whatever you need to feel.

Old 02-06-2014, 12:31 AM   #4
    SweetSori
    (female)

SweetSori HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by biteneck View Post
    Hello,
    Like I said, I was doing better last summer until late September and got a horrible feeling while in a grocery store like I was going to pass out, everything felt funny, off, like I was in a bad dream and could not wake up.
    Nicole
    This sounds to me like depersonalization/derealization...have you ever looked into this?

Old 03-29-2014, 10:31 PM   #5
    jayp123
    (male)

jayp123 HB User

1. Remove any teeth with root canals that you may have, or at least get them checked by a holistic dentist.

2. Go see an Upper Cervical Chiropractor. (NUCAA or Atlas Profilax)

Last edited by jayp123; 03-29-2014 at 10:32 PM.

Old 04-02-2014, 10:38 AM   #6
    biteneck
    (female)

biteneck HB Userbiteneck HB Userbiteneck HB User

Hi Sweetsori,
    How have you been doing? I seem to be a little better. I have a check up at the inner ear doctor's on April 21st.
    Nicole

Closed Thread