It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board

• physical therapy for vestibular dysfunction?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-06-2014, 04:22 PM   #1
    moonstorm
    (female)

moonstorm HB User
    physical therapy for vestibular dysfunction?

After my ENT said my vertigo/dizziness was caused by BPPV, I was sent to see a physical therapist. The PT did a lot of testing and actually ruled out BPPV (which I suspected would happen), and said I most likely have a unilateral vestibular deficit. (I had a bad sinus infection a few months ago that took forever to get better which caused some ear issues, including diagnosed Eustachian Tube Dysfunction). She explained things very well (much better than my ENT ever did...) and has started me on some therapy exercises to help me get used to/help make the vertigo better.

Has anyone else gone through this type of physical therapy? Has it worked in helping you feel better (less dizzy/vertigo)?

Any input is appreciated, thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-17-2014, 04:42 PM   #2
    malibuJen
    (female)

malibuJen HB User
    Re: physical therapy for vestibular dysfunction?

Sounds a lot like my issues! I did do some VRT and it helped for a while (until I got another infection and caused more damage-ugh). it helps your brain relearn and coordinate the signals from your ears and eyes. I do think it's worth a try! I went maybe five times, and they discharged me with exercises to do at home.

Old 03-18-2014, 02:14 PM   #3
    moonstorm
    (female)

moonstorm HB User
    Re: physical therapy for vestibular dysfunction?

thanks for your reply, malibuJen! i've been doing at home exercises for a couple of weeks and i think they have been helping as i'm not as dizzy anymore. i have another session later this week. fingers crossed for good things! i'm nervous i'll get another infection or something and it will get messed up again... ugh! but, trying to stay positive.

Closed Thread

Tags
    dizziness, ear fullness vertigo, physical therapy, vertigo, vestibular disorders