It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board

• BPPV or something else? Desperate!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-13-2014, 04:13 PM   #1
    matschca
    (female)

matschca HB User
    BPPV or something else? Desperate!

I've had BPPV for several years and can always recognize the onset of spinning when I lie down. In the past, the Epley has always resolved it for me.

I had an episode last October - and my life hasn't been the same since. There are VERY few practitioners where I live that do the Epley - and it was a month before I could get in to get it done. I've done it to myself in the past but for some reason, didn't want to this time. While waiting to get in, I slept in a recliner. For a month.

Finally the Epley - and he couldn't elicit the spinning sensations at all when he performed it like he had in the past. So he said based on my symptoms, I probably had vestibular neuritis on top of it all and I went through a month of Vestibular Rehab to no avail.

The symptoms? Foggy brain, feeling off-balance when I stand still for any length of time, insomnia, new dislike of riding in elevators (the sensation it produces), escalators same thing, fatigue.

I should also note that I'm battling hyperthyroidism 6 years post thyroidectomy and we're making medication adjustments for that. In the meantime, the symptoms i am associating with that are rapid pulse, PVC's, shakiness, anxiety (big time), insomnia.

Of course I go to my MD and he attributes all my symptoms to "anxiety" and wants to throw pill after pill at me. First: atenolol for the PVC's - which in turn makes me more fatigued, more fuzzy headed. Then: Elavil to help me sleep, which again makes me more fuzzy headed and sleepy and we can add dry mouth to the mix.

So now he wants me off the atenolol and on CoReg - and switch Elavil to Amytriptiline - and I'm very reluctant to keep taking pill after pill without knowing what the REAL issue is.

Anyone out there want to take a stab at it? I keep praying for Spring and the warm weather it will bring in the HOPES that it will clear out my head - and my ears - and the horrible off balance feeling I have will finally go away after 6 months of pure hell.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2014, 12:41 AM   #2
    schaser123
    (female)

schaser123 HB User
    Re: BPPV or something else? Desperate!

Wow, I am so sorry to hear that you've been going through so much. I don't know if my post will be of any help, but I felt bad no one else had replied and I've gone through similar things. So, I thought I'd post something at least.

How do you feel now? Have you been to any other doctors? Have your symptoms improved at all?

I had spinning vertigo attacks about 10 years ago. The first doctor I went to told me I probably had BPPV. However, after my second or third attack, I went to a different ENT and had a couple of tests done. That ENT didn't mention what he thought I had but I failed the hearing test for my right ear and other doctors have said I probably have Meniere's disease. I have all of the typical symptoms for it, fullness/pressure in the ear, tinnitus, vertigo, and fluctuating hearing loss in the low tones. I also suffer from brain fog, fatigue, and other issues, which are common in people with Meniere's but might come from other medical issues I have.

I very rarely ever get the spinning vertigo anymore, but I often feel like I'm being pulled or pushed in one direction or feel like I'm seasick while standing or even just sitting. I sometimes feel like my balance is off and get dizzy, too. I hate riding escalators, especially going down as I often feel like I'm falling. I even have trouble just going down the regular stairs sometimes because my balance is so off, and I don't really care for elevators, either, because they can make me feel like I'm falling, too. I've always had problems with that sort of thing, so I can't go on a lot of rides at theme parks, for example, and can't handle IMAX theaters at all, either. It's a very frustrating and scary feeling! Right now, my shoulder and neck on my right side are a bit out of whack, so my balance is really off. I keep veering off toward the right side.

Do you have any pressure in your ear? Any symptoms of a sinus or ear infection? Any problems with tense shoulders or neck?

Sorry I'm not much help! I thought I'd share my experiences and maybe give you some ideas, I guess. Hope you are feeling better now or will be soon! Take care!

Closed Thread

Tags
    bppv