It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board

• Perilymph Fistula - anyone have it or know about i

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-29-2014, 05:34 PM   #1
    aceman626
    (male)

aceman626 HB User
    Perilymph Fistula - anyone have it or know about i

I am diagnosed Meniere's but suspecting that I may have Perilymph Fistula....very similar symptoms to Meniere's but cause by trauma-induced leakage of the inner ear.

Any information in regards to diagnosis, treatment, prognosis, would be great. thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-04-2014, 07:07 PM   #2
    mzungu
    (female)

mzungu HB User
    Re: Perilymph Fistula - anyone have it or know about i

I have bilateral PLF's. I had surgery on one ear 3 weeks ago.. Its my 2nd repair on that ear as my last patch blew from me not following the post op restrictions. I got my PLF's from flying.

Its very hard to get this diagnosed most docs are clueless about PLF's. The surgery is fairly simple. The PLF testing most docs do is unreliable. You don't need hearing loss. There's some great papers on the internet about PLF's from a Dr.Hornibrook in New Zealand. Read those if you can. good luck!!

Last edited by mzungu; 04-04-2014 at 07:12 PM.

Old 04-04-2014, 10:38 PM   #3
    aceman626
    (male)

aceman626 HB User
    Re: Perilymph Fistula - anyone have it or know about i

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mzungu View Post
    I have bilateral PLF's. I had surgery on one ear 3 weeks ago.. Its my 2nd repair on that ear as my last patch blew from me not following the post op restrictions. I got my PLF's from flying.

Its very hard to get this diagnosed most docs are clueless about PLF's. The surgery is fairly simple. The PLF testing most docs do is unreliable. You don't need hearing loss. There's some great papers on the internet about PLF's from a Dr.Hornibrook in New Zealand. Read those if you can. good luck!!

Thanks! Can I ask what happened during/after your flight? What were your symptoms? Do you still have symptoms after your surgery? Can it heal by itself?

For me, I was on vacation and developed some eustachian tube blockage in right ear, probably from a cold+allergies+lot of smoking (normally don't smoke much). At the time I didn't know what it was but had a bit of tinnitus and muffled hearing. After the flight back, I was ok until I went to sleep. Then all of a sudden shrieking tinnitus in the ear with crazy spinning vertigo woke me up. The next 3 weeks were bad, low-tones hearing loss, tinnitus, couple of vertigo attacks with dizziness in between, ear fullness/pressure, general fatigue. Diagnosed Meniere's. Did 2 weeks of steroids. The next 6 weeks were a bit better, with some dizziness & tinnitus.

I was told Meniere's has nothing to do with air pressure, cleared to fly, so I went on a flight, for only 2 days, after the flight back realized my eustachian tube cannot pop properly. I realized it was blocked the entire 10 weeks prior. Tried valsalva maneuver several times over the next couple days, good ear has air flow but bad ear completely blocked. One time air actually seemed like it went through and made me very dizzy for a few seconds so I stopped valsalva. Over the next 2 weeks tinnitus got worse, and had another vertigo attack, back with the low-tones hearing loss. Tried to work out and lifting made me dizzy.

I then took 5 days of sudafed and things improved a lot. Hearing came back, tinnitus reduced. Not sure if sudafed worked or somthing else.

I am suspecting fistula because:
    1) Flying seems to cause problems for me, maybe even started the whole thing with trauma
    2) Valsalva made me dizzy
    3) Lifting weights made me dizzy (although not all the time).
    4) Eustachian tube obviously blocked the entire time

Can I ask what happened during/after your flight? What were your symptoms? Do you still have symptoms after your surgery? Can it heal by itself?

Thanks.

Last edited by aceman626; 04-04-2014 at 10:44 PM.

Closed Thread