It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board

• Possible Perilymph fistula recurrence 24 years later

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-12-2014, 12:51 PM   #1
    doriekaye
    (female)

doriekaye HB User
    Unhappy Possible Perilymph fistula recurrence 24 years later

In the spring of1990 after a chronic right middle ear infection, I began having bad vertigo, nausea, and disequilibrium problems. I saw the ENT recommended by my PCP and after testing that came back normal was scheduled for exploratory surgery. A perilymph fistula was visualized and patched. Recovery was normal with some slight dizziness continuing for a few months and then resolving. Post operative testing revealed no loss of hearing from the surgery and I was released from care to resume normal life.

Fast forward to March 2014, severe disequilibrium, tinnitus, and noticeable hearing loss brought me back to the same ENT (A relief, as he remembers me as being his only visually confirmed PLF) Testing showed hearing in the right ear normal but not as good as the unaffected left ear, other testing showed a possible recurrence of a PLF in the the same ear (right). I am scheduled for surgery on April 30, 2014.

There was nothing during this time that would account for the fistula to recur, no heavy lifting, head trauma, air travel, upper respiratory illness, etc. He feels that I may have a predisposition to increased pressure in my inner ear that causes the fistula to recur. Has anyone heard of this? And, if so, why would it take 24 years to happen again? Thanks in advance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-13-2014, 09:08 PM   #2
    Skdiz
    (female)

Skdiz HB User
    Re: Possible Perilymph fistula recurrence 24 years later

I have heard of this. Recently from another member. She was telling me to look up Inter cranial pressure or some such thing. I have also read an article about PLF that was dealing with reoccurring ones. This had something to do with people being predisposed to them. perhaps because of too much Cranial fluid pressure. I'm afraid most of the article was over my head. I'd love to ask you about your symptoms though. I have a suspected PLF right now I am waiting for my dr to decide what he thinks is wrong with me. Very frustrating as I am not in on the brainstorming, so have no idea what he's thinking. I just got a call he wants to try a dexamethasone injection but I have no idea what for? is this something you might have experience with?

Closed Thread

Tags
    perilymph fistula, tinnitus, vertigo