It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board

• Viral vestibular neuritis?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-18-2014, 09:15 AM   #1
    Citruszinus
    (male)

Citruszinus HB User
    Viral vestibular neuritis?

I have been looking on these boards a lot and have a strong feeling this is what I have/had?

Long story short I went to urgent care about 5 months ago because I was feeling lightheaded and disoriented. The NP told me I had an inner ear infection and gave me meds.

About 4 days later my symptoms had not improved and I went to the ER. They ran tons of tests and all were clear, then told me they also thought it an ear infection. I was diagnosed with a middle ear infection and sinusitis, told to stop my old meds and take some new ones.

I took a full round of anti-biotics to clear the infection and after the bottle was empty i noticed no improvement, and may have felt worse.

I made an appointment for balance testing and an MRI with my ENT. The MRI come back squeaky clean. The balance test reveled that I had sustained "low frequency nerve damage in both ears". I now realize he probably meant vestibular nerve damage.

It's been close to 6 months now, I do feel much better than when this started but I still have constant brain fog and a feeling of imbalance. I also seem to feel worse when I go to stores or busy places. (oddly enough this excludes the gym, it's the one place I feel normal some times, I believe due to the fact working out releases endorphins, i'm not sure). I took an auditory test and they said everything seemed normal which is why I think it is neuritis and not labyrinths, as labs usually also causes hearing damage?

What do you guys think, sound like vestibular neurits?

P.S. I'm doing some at home vestibular exercises, I meet with my ENT on the 22nd and am going to get him to refer me to VRT. At the moment the hardest thing to deal with is the brain fog, and anxiety it causes. I was thinking about asking to be put on Zoloft as my mother takes this and says it does wonders for her. I'm just nervious that it could make my brain fog worse, or slow down compensation. Do you think either of these could happen?

P.P.S. if you have a success story in dealing with this or know someone who has I would love to hear it. I'm beginning to feel that my life will always be like this and it's <seriously depressing> to be honest.

Last edited by Administrator; 04-18-2014 at 09:35 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2014, 07:01 PM   #2
    biteneck
    (female)

biteneck HB Userbiteneck HB Userbiteneck HB User
    Re: Viral vestibular neuritis?

Hello,
    I know how you feel. The brain fog feels pretty bad for me because I feel like I'm not really here and that I am in a dream. That causes anxiety and panic. I know how you feel. I would say go see a neurotologist. They specialize in inner ear. I've been having problems since March 2012. I thought I was getting better last summer but had a relapse and bad anxiety with panic and the derealization in September and since then I've been so scared to drive and am doing my best to try to be normal again. I believe it's a long time yet for me. I have 25% weakness in my left ear but then told last Dec 2013 that I have MAV. I am on Klonopin and it helps a little for the anxiety. I have heard that the anti-depressants can help people in their darkest times with these inner ear disorders. If you feel comfortable, go ahead and ask your doctor for the anti-depressant. Just watch out for possible side-effects. I wish you the best.
    Nicole

Closed Thread