It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board

• Inner Ear steroid injections - who's had them?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-02-2014, 03:54 PM   #1
    Janster
    (female)

Janster HB User
    Inner Ear steroid injections - who's had them?

So, my left ear is the ******* child. 9 years ago, I had a stapedectomy and have had to wear a hearing aid ever since.

2 weeks ago - I woke up being deaf in my left ear and a slight imbalance and jittery eyes.

Doctor prescribed Prednisone for 2 weeks - and it actually improved my balance and eyes. I feel normal - except I still can't hear. Had followup hearing tests after the Prednisone. There's a very slight improvement of 'input' in my ear (according to the tests). Everything sounds like crap and its all a bunch of crackles. Nothing that I can recognize as normal sounds.

I'll be getting an MRI soon..... and after that, they've suggested a Steroid injection done by a Doctor at John Hopkins.

Anyone have this done?
    I'm aware that this might not work..... and that's fine - I can't hear anything now anyway so what can it hurt?

Or can it harms things bad enough for later options?? Or is it just a shot...??

Thanks for the feedback!!???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-22-2015, 07:56 PM   #2
    pippers
    (female)

pippers HB User
    Re: Inner Ear steroid injections - who's had them?

I had the steroid injections in both ears - 3 in each ear. They did nothing for my left ear, which I was totally deaf in. They did work somewhat in my right ear - improved hearing about 30%. But I eventually went deaf in my right ear about 3 years after injections. I did end up getting a cochlear implant in my right ear - too much damage in my left ear for an implant.

Last edited by pippers; 04-22-2015 at 07:58 PM. Reason: Added info

Closed Thread