It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board

• Odd aggravates of Meniere's...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-07-2015, 02:27 PM   #1
    TheFaithfulFew
    (male)

TheFaithfulFew HB User
    Odd aggravates of Meniere's...

Hi, all! I'm 26, and have been suffering from symptoms of Meniere's since 2009 and over the years I've noticed odd items that seem to cause Meniere's symptoms, specifically bouts of dizziness and nausea (and possible vertigo and vomiting).

Starbursts, Hot Tamales, Skittles, and possibly, even Krispy Kreme donuts have caused me episodes of dizziness. I do my best to track any variations outside of my traditional diet. Monday (1/5/15), I had two Krispy Kreme donuts from a gas station and sure enough, 32 hours later, I began to feel slightly "off". By 8 pm I was getting anxious and went to bed. However I was able to watch all of Jurassic Park with only minor nausea and the shortest episode of dizziness to date (approximately 4 hours).

I've been on a very low sodium diet (under 1,000 mgs per day) since discovering the probably cause (Meniere's) of all these issues, and since then I have only occasional episodes (although often debilitating) of dizziness. I had diarrhea and extreme dizziness on Thanksgiving when someone else prepared my food, even though I had taken my normal precautions. I was debilitated for an entire 10 hours. 4am-2pm. Vomiting from 4-7. Debilitation with nausea until about 11am, was able to move other body parts without issue by 1, and able to walk by 2.

So I just wanted to share my story and other seemingly miscellaneous information that may help. I also find that the more research I do on Meniere's, the better I am to combat it.

Last edited by Administrator; 01-07-2015 at 03:01 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2015, 02:42 PM   #2
    hokie5
    (female)

hokie5 HB User
    Re: Odd aggravates of Meniere's...

Sounds like maybe it is a "sugar" reaction ... Starbursts, Hot Tamales, Skittles, and possibly, even Krispy Kreme donuts?

Old 01-07-2015, 02:46 PM   #3
    TheFaithfulFew
    (male)

TheFaithfulFew HB User

I'm aware that all of those are high in sugar, but I'm constantly consuming sugar in my diet without consistent incidents of my symptoms. I'm not saying that a high sugar diet is good at all, but it's been my reality for several years due to being heavily restricted on salt. :/ I have half a pan of low-sodium brownies sitting on my dresser, lol.

Old 01-07-2015, 03:15 PM   #4
    hokie5
    (female)

hokie5 HB User

I just said that b/c I think sugar makes my symptoms worse. I have a real sweet tooth, but I am trying to cut back and see if that helps.

Old 01-07-2015, 03:18 PM   #5
    TheFaithfulFew
    (male)

TheFaithfulFew HB User

So do I! I love anything chocolate (as long as it has some kind of nut).

You have Meniere's as well? I just did a bit of research and found that "Ginkgo biloba" can help. Found at Wal-Mart.

Last edited by TheFaithfulFew; 01-07-2015 at 03:19 PM.

Old 01-07-2015, 03:56 PM   #6
    hokie5
    (female)

hokie5 HB User

Not sure what I have exactly ... been 1 year now of persistent vertigo. Still trying to get docs to agree on a dx.

Closed Thread