It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board

• Severe Tinnitus

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-08-2015, 09:38 AM   #1
    DannyTX
    (male)

DannyTX HB User
    Severe Tinnitus

Tinnitus and my experience after nearly seven years: This is for the benefit of anyone just now developing this condition.

I am 59 years old, and have had very severe Tinnitus since 2008. I believe it was caused by more than one factor leading up to 2008. First of all I have shot various firearms most of my life, often without hearing protection. I have been exposed to loud power tools most of my life without hearing protection as well. Also, I have had a mild concussion. And next, I think an ultra-sound type tool used by a Dental Hygienist made it worse as well. Each of these issues have been connected to Tinnitus. I have experienced all of them.

I have daily headaches from it. I believe it has caused me to have ADD that I never had before, meaning it can sometimes be very distracting. Luckily the headaches are controllable by just aspirin.

I have wasted money on nearly every single scam "remedy" to cross the TV. The biggest one, which I don't think I can mention per the posting rules, which I admit not reading for a while, didn't help. But if you have Tinnitus you know the one which is advertised a lot, and it didn't work. This product was originally recommended by the ENT just to see if it would help.

I think--the ENT thought--it may have been a placebo type treatment for me. But it didn't work. However, the ENT told me not to spend another dime on anything. There is no cure. He did prescribe something for sleep.

I have quit just about everything that I have read online that could exacerbate the problem. I have completely quit Aspartame, drastically cut back on salt, cut back and will likely quit any alcohol altogether, etc. Aspirin is one thing known to possibly make it worse, but I have to control the headaches and don't want to take Ibuprofen or Acetaminophen because of potential harmful effects of those.

For any of you just now developing this horrible condition all I can recommend is distraction, an a lot of it. I am best outdoors. If I am busy outside I don't notice it as bad. It is during quiet time, or watching TV, or just being in a quiet office trying to work when it is most bothersome. Sleeping with a fan on helps as well.

I don't check in often due to lack of time and may or may not see a reply. However, good luck to any of you just now experiencing Tinnitus. Try not to let it get the best of you!

Last edited by DannyTX; 01-08-2015 at 10:21 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-24-2015, 04:21 PM   #2
    janld
    (female)

janld HB User
    Re: Severe Tinnitus

Thanks for your post--it is most thoughtful for you to let others who suffer from tinnitus to know what you have dealt with. I have pulsatile tinnitus (self diagnosed because my appt with ENT is not until middle of March. I firmly believe stress brought on my case. I lost my dearly loved dog Dec. 29th and a week or so later started hearing my heart beat in my right ear. I could not sleep at night. I asked my cardiologist about it and his remark was "everyone hears their heart beat in their ear!" He gave me Ativan for sleep and that has helped a lot. For the past few days, I have not noticed it as much as before. Also, I'm able to sleep all night. I agree with you, it is almost unbearable and to add to that, I always think of the most horrible things that could be causing it. I have read hundreds of articles and posts and most say they have had CT and MRI's and nothing found. Again, I do appreciate you taking the time to help others--that means a lot.

Old 02-25-2015, 08:42 PM   #3
    sunshineTerri
    (female)

sunshineTerri HB User
    Re: Severe Tinnitus

I have severe tinnitus that has been going on for almost a year. I believe my tinnitus was also brought on by servers stress. Now I am paying a big price for not finding a way to deal with the stress. Still hopeful that it will go away a some point. Wishing you well too.

Closed Thread