It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Inner Ear Disorders Message Board

  • Help! VN or Mav????

  • Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Old 02-18-2015, 11:38 AM   #1
    DizzyNikki
    Newbie
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Feb 2015
    Posts: 4
    DizzyNikki HB User
    Help! VN or Mav????

    Hello,

    I'm hoping for anyone who is familiar with Vestibular Neuritis or MAV to respond. I have been feeling a "dizzy" sensation 24/7 for the last month.
    History:

    The morning of Dec 22, 2014 I awoke with a heavy head feeling and a bit off balance. Didn't think much of it and made it through work that day. That evening at about 730 I laid down because I was feeling a bit more off than earlier in the day. I closed my eyes for maybe 15 mins or so to try and relax. I tossed and turned for a bit and sat up abruptly as I heard my daughter and it startled me. When I opened my eyes the room was spinning. For maybe a few seconds to a minute. Very short period. I felt nauseated and ended up at ER that night. Ct scan ca be back fine as did blood work. Sent me home with meclizene and I took a pill every 8 hrs for a few days then dizzy went away after a week or so. About a month ago now Jan 14 I awoke with the same heavy head off balance feeling and knew right away whatever I had experienced was back again. I did have symptoms of a sore throat, cough and losing my voice two or three days prior to the second onset of symptoms. Now I am at a month going on 5 weeks on Friday and not sure what it could be.

    Went to ENT who initially thought it was BPPV. Dix halike performed and negative. So was scheduled for full balance tests and completed those last week. Met with my ENT yesterday who has narrowed the symptoms down to VN OR MAV. of course as long as my MRI comes back clear and normal. I take that on Friday. My dizzy is worse when I move my head but nothing is actually spinning visually. It's more like a pull in the direction I'm turning my head. I do feel as though I am moving when laying down and eyes are closed. Like a falling feeling. Symptoms seem to be worse where a lot of visual stimuli. Washing dishes and showers are hard to do. Feel dizzier. Feel fine when not moving my head. Ears do not ring. No tinnitus. Can walk okay. I myself feel a bit stumbly but have been ok to walk without holding on to something. Standing for a long time I do need to hold onto something. Ears feel a tiny bit full. And just a bit of a popping. But nothing major. Not to where it concerns me at all. I am hoping for someone who has been though this to give me some insight and advice. Mav and VN sound similar and am trying to figure which is more me. Please help thanks!!!!!

    Nicole

     
    Sponsors Lightbulb
       
    Old 02-18-2015, 12:19 PM   #2
    biteneck
    Senior Member
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Mar 2012
    Location: nunya
    Posts: 180
    biteneck HB Userbiteneck HB Userbiteneck HB User
    Re: Help! VN or Mav????

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DizzyNikki View Post
    Hello,

    I'm hoping for anyone who is familiar with Vestibular Neuritis or MAV to respond. I have been feeling a "dizzy" sensation 24/7 for the last month.
    History:

    The morning of Dec 22, 2014 I awoke with a heavy head feeling and a bit off balance. Didn't think much of it and made it through work that day. That evening at about 730 I laid down because I was feeling a bit more off than earlier in the day. I closed my eyes for maybe 15 mins or so to try and relax. I tossed and turned for a bit and sat up abruptly as I heard my daughter and it startled me. When I opened my eyes the room was spinning. For maybe a few seconds to a minute. Very short period. I felt nauseated and ended up at ER that night. Ct scan ca be back fine as did blood work. Sent me home with meclizene and I took a pill every 8 hrs for a few days then dizzy went away after a week or so. About a month ago now Jan 14 I awoke with the same heavy head off balance feeling and knew right away whatever I had experienced was back again. I did have symptoms of a sore throat, cough and losing my voice two or three days prior to the second onset of symptoms. Now I am at a month going on 5 weeks on Friday and not sure what it could be.

    Went to ENT who initially thought it was BPPV. Dix halike performed and negative. So was scheduled for full balance tests and completed those last week. Met with my ENT yesterday who has narrowed the symptoms down to VN OR MAV. of course as long as my MRI comes back clear and normal. I take that on Friday. My dizzy is worse when I move my head but nothing is actually spinning visually. It's more like a pull in the direction I'm turning my head. I do feel as though I am moving when laying down and eyes are closed. Like a falling feeling. Symptoms seem to be worse where a lot of visual stimuli. Washing dishes and showers are hard to do. Feel dizzier. Feel fine when not moving my head. Ears do not ring. No tinnitus. Can walk okay. I myself feel a bit stumbly but have been ok to walk without holding on to something. Standing for a long time I do need to hold onto something. Ears feel a tiny bit full. And just a bit of a popping. But nothing major. Not to where it concerns me at all. I am hoping for someone who has been though this to give me some insight and advice. Mav and VN sound similar and am trying to figure which is more me. Please help thanks!!!!!

    Nicole
    Hi Nicole,
    My name is also Nicole and I've been having problems since March 2012. I had a sinus infection before all this started. The dizziness and dreamy feeling seemed like it was going away in summer 2013, only to hit back in fall of 2013. I was diagnosed with vestibular neuritis and then MAV a year later. Now, I've seen another doctor and did all the testing again and have been diagnosed with chronic subjective dizziness. I was told that my left inner ear is not working properly. I'm seeing a physical therapis who is giving me exercises to do that are making me feel dizzy so that it trains my brain to compensate. Your brain should automatically compensate but things like a cold or stress can cause de-compensation. You had mentioned that you felt ill before getting dizzy this last time. That could have caused some de-compensation. For VN, I have heard that just keeping busy and trying to do your normal routine helps to get you back to normal. For MAV, that's confusing to me because I heard that this is caused when the blood vessels in the brain are messed up or something. But I've also heard that you can get MAV after dealing with VN for so long. Like VN can turn into MAV. I have seen a lot of people on ******** who have been taking a couple different meds for MAV. If you are on ********, there are groups on there that have these same problems. I belong to a few of them. My worst symptoms are fogginess, feeling like I'm in a dream which gets bad enough to bring on panic (that I never had before all this) and the dizziness in stores and busy areas. I am unable to drive from disorientation. That's another thing, feeling very disoriented and confused. I hate that, makes me feel like I'm going crazy! Do you feel any of these too?
    I hope you feel better
    Take care and keep in touch,
    Nicole

     
    Old 02-18-2015, 01:18 PM   #3
    DizzyNikki
    Newbie
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Feb 2015
    Posts: 4
    DizzyNikki HB User
    Re: Help! VN or Mav????

    Nicole,

    Thanks so much for your reply. I have been reading these posts for the last few weeks as all of you seem to have very similar symptoms as I do. I narrowed down my own diagnosis to these two before I went in to speak about my balance results. I felt alone and didn't know that there were so many people feeling this way. My husband tried to understand. I haven't been to work in almost three weeks and am feeling not like myself. I am a very healthy active person normally and these is a big 360 for me. I feel sad and get anxiety when I feel down about it. Which I understand from these threads those go hand in hand with this type of diagnosis.

    Yes I do have foggy head. Dream like sometimes. It's so strange. i am unable to focus too long. Concentration is hard. It's a bit of a rocking swaying and then when I turn my head in all sorts of ways that's the worst. It's like I get confused my all the movement. Slight uneasy feeling in my stomach when I move my head as there is a weird motion/feeling in my head when I turn. Almost like I turn my head to focus and then my brain follows. Weird.
    I look completely normal to everyone and I think it makes me feel like I'm being ridiculous because others don't understand fully the feeling of it. It's horrible. Keep telling myself it could be worse. And I'm thankful it's not. I pray all the time about it and try to stay active as I have a three year old daughter who needs me. I just feel so hopeless.

    I can't imagine this going on for years and it's only been a month. How do you cope. Did vrt work. I searched some exercises online to start at home. And don't know if they are working or not. Would they help with both Mav and VN?
    Nicole

     
    Old 03-03-2015, 08:28 AM   #4
    Candi1006
    Inactive
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Mar 2011
    Posts: 85
    Candi1006 HB User
    Re: Help! VN or Mav????

    Hi, Nicole and Biteneck Nicole -

    My name is Candi and I've had the exact same symptoms as you since October 2014. I was laying in bed looking at my phone and turned my head to talk to my son and wham - I started feeling off like I was rocking or pulsing is what I call it because the rocking goes along with my pulse. I also feel off when I move my head.

    I have no diagnosis at the moment. I do have a history of vestibular migraines which is controlled with Verapamil.

    I was sent to a Physical therapist yesterday who did the epley maneuver on me. He said I don't have BPPV because it's a positional vertigo and I don't have any vertigo, just a general dizzy feeling and the pulsing sensation as well as what feels like my eyes pulsing as well when I look at an object for long. After he did the maneuver I felt great. I still felt the pulsing when laying down, but the general dizzy feel was completely gone.

    Then this morning after I was dropping my son off at school I heard a car approaching and looked over my left shoulder and WHAM - dizziness back full force. I felt like the world was tilting to the left. My therapist is closed today so I have to wait tomorrow to see him again. I am hoping he can do that maneuver on me again to see if it helps. He said you have to get the vertigo with BPPV, but there are some other conditions that the maneuver can help, like when there is fluid or the crystals in different parts of the ears. He said he thought my issue was in the posterior portion of my left ear. Oddly enough it's my right ear that rings a little.

     
    Old 03-06-2015, 06:58 PM   #5
    DizzyNikki
    Newbie
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Feb 2015
    Posts: 4
    DizzyNikki HB User
    Re: Help! VN or Mav????

    Hi Candi,

    I haven't been diagnosed with anything yet. I just have a rocking swaying feeling constantly. Different levels of severity. I'm not sure what I have. My ct scan and mri both came back normal (thankfully). But I'm still confused. All symptoms seems to fit a lot of things. Do I have vestibular migraines? Mdds? Vestibular neuritis? I'm anxious. I'm sad. I'm angry. I know it could be worse so I'm thankful it's not. Im frustrated I have no answers yet. Frustrated there's no exact timeframe that this, whatever it is, will be gone. Or if it ever will. Or how to make it better. Or what makes it worse. I'm sorry I'm venting. Just trying to find answers. How did you appointment go?

    Sorry late to respond.

    Nicole

     
    Old 03-07-2015, 04:37 AM   #6
    Candi1006
    Inactive
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Mar 2011
    Posts: 85
    Candi1006 HB User
    Re: Help! VN or Mav????

    Hi, Nicole

    I do understand your frustration. It's awful for any suffering

    My appointment went great. No bad dizziness however the rocking is still there. When I lay in the bed at night it's way worse and I have to toss and turn until I can get into a position where I don't feel it as much or I just become so tired I pass out. I hope we can all find answers soon and get out of this maddening condition/cycle.

    Xo
    Candi




    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DizzyNikki View Post
    Hi Candi,

    I haven't been diagnosed with anything yet. I just have a rocking swaying feeling constantly. Different levels of severity. I'm not sure what I have. My ct scan and mri both came back normal (thankfully). But I'm still confused. All symptoms seems to fit a lot of things. Do I have vestibular migraines? Mdds? Vestibular neuritis? I'm anxious. I'm sad. I'm angry. I know it could be worse so I'm thankful it's not. Im frustrated I have no answers yet. Frustrated there's no exact timeframe that this, whatever it is, will be gone. Or if it ever will. Or how to make it better. Or what makes it worse. I'm sorry I'm venting. Just trying to find answers. How did you appointment go?

    Sorry late to respond.

    Nicole

     
    Old 03-21-2015, 08:17 PM   #7
    starlight294
    Member
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Jan 2009
    Posts: 53
    starlight294 HB User
    Re: Help! VN or Mav????

    I have been having balance problems for some time, It starts with a strange feeling in the side of the jaw like my ear has lost equilibrium and then I walk like I am going to fall .I feel this quick fall to the side sensation and I jerk myself back, other times I sit on the floor real quick until the feeling goes away, The last 10 days I have been having these feelings everyday all day. I went to three Doctors in 2 days I was petrified, One Doctor said I had a ruptured ear drum on one side and fluid on the other ear, the other Doctor said I had no fluid in one ear and a slight swelling in the other. The third Doctor said my ears were clear. aand that I was suffering a flare up of PTSD and Panic that I have suffered from since I was 21 I am now 60 .Now today I feel like I may have an abscess in the jaw or Eustachian tubes as it is stinging slightly under the ear. I am so scared My tonsil does feel sore(right one) and I do get tonsils stones
    Even sitting here I get a rocking off balance sensation .What could this be
    Anyone else experience this
    I did have a strange thing happen the night before I went to the second Doctor, I was panicking and pacing lifted my head up and this strange bitter taste came flowing from the back of my nose into my throat and for a little while my balance improved. Could the fluid in my ear have drained out the back of my nose, That would explain why the second Doctor did not see fluid in the ear canal. I am deaf or frequency deafness although I have not been tested in years >the Doctor has made me an appointment to have a hearing test, I did have a throat virus that took my voice away about 5 weeks ago could this be related, my jaw is hurting and I am scared. I HAVE DONE ALL THE NEUROLOGICAL TESTS INCLUDING THE BABINKSI REFLEX test and can stand on my tippy toes and walk up and downstairs holding on each step for 10 seconds

     
    Old 03-22-2015, 06:08 AM   #8
    Candi1006
    Inactive
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Mar 2011
    Posts: 85
    Candi1006 HB User
    Re: Help! VN or Mav????

    starlight! I am sorry you are going through this too.
    A few things come to mind... You need to see an ENT first and not a regular MD. They will help you sort it out.
    It sounds like either BPPV which can be helped with the epley manuever, or meniers which is which your ears get fluid in them. You should decrease your salt intake to see if it helps any.
    Also, lifting your head and draining fluid is usually your sinuses.... Maybe try a neti pot and see if that helps. Do you take a daily claritin? That is what I am doing now. I do me k stretches, epley and claritin. After the epley my rocking seems a lot better.

    Good luck!

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by starlight294 View Post
    I have been having balance problems for some time, It starts with a strange feeling in the side of the jaw like my ear has lost equilibrium and then I walk like I am going to fall .I feel this quick fall to the side sensation and I jerk myself back, other times I sit on the floor real quick until the feeling goes away, The last 10 days I have been having these feelings everyday all day. I went to three Doctors in 2 days I was petrified, One Doctor said I had a ruptured ear drum on one side and fluid on the other ear, the other Doctor said I had no fluid in one ear and a slight swelling in the other. The third Doctor said my ears were clear. aand that I was suffering a flare up of PTSD and Panic that I have suffered from since I was 21 I am now 60 .Now today I feel like I may have an abscess in the jaw or Eustachian tubes as it is stinging slightly under the ear. I am so scared My tonsil does feel sore(right one) and I do get tonsils stones
    Even sitting here I get a rocking off balance sensation .What could this be
    Anyone else experience this
    I did have a strange thing happen the night before I went to the second Doctor, I was panicking and pacing lifted my head up and this strange bitter taste came flowing from the back of my nose into my throat and for a little while my balance improved. Could the fluid in my ear have drained out the back of my nose, That would explain why the second Doctor did not see fluid in the ear canal. I am deaf or frequency deafness although I have not been tested in years >the Doctor has made me an appointment to have a hearing test, I did have a throat virus that took my voice away about 5 weeks ago could this be related, my jaw is hurting and I am scared. I HAVE DONE ALL THE NEUROLOGICAL TESTS INCLUDING THE BABINKSI REFLEX test and can stand on my tippy toes and walk up and downstairs holding on each step for 10 seconds

     
    Old 04-22-2015, 05:35 AM   #9
    Mollyb12
    Newbie
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Apr 2015
    Posts: 1
    Mollyb12 HB User
    Re: Help! VN or Mav????

    Hi all,
    I'd like to join this post if I may. I had my first dizzy spell on 3rd February this year and I am still suffering. I too feel all the things you do, I'm angry, upset, confused, depressed. I just want to feel normal again. I am losing who I am, I'm not doing the things I want to. I live in fear of this.

    I have seen a consultant and I've had all the tests. MRI and the water in the ear tests (awful) all clear NED. It is down to the de-compensation caused by a viral infection. The infection has left no damage, but those signals from the vestibular system have been distorted - causing the unsteadiness, dizzy and general feelings of movement.

    All they have given me to do are vestibular retraining exercises, which involve moving the head fast from side to side while focusing on a letter and walking around with my eyes closed. Told to carry on as normal, trust your balance that you won't fall over and the more exercises I do, the more normal I am, the quicker I will recover. That's all well and good but the exercise induce the dizziness, which brings on the brain fog and lightheadedness and then I feel like crying as this can happen several times a day (in between the general feelings of crapness) and it's so hard to get through each day. I'm trying to be positive that the crap feelings ARE rehabilitation and a ticket to being cured.

    So my advice is: Keep moving, the dizzier you feel, the more you need to move. Find some vestibular rehab exercises to do and stick with them. This WILL go away, we will all recover, it will just take time and in the meantime be committed to a mental asylum probably....

     
    Old 04-22-2015, 09:42 AM   #10
    DizzyNikki
    Newbie
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Feb 2015
    Posts: 4
    DizzyNikki HB User
    Re: Help! VN or Mav????

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mollyb12 View Post
    Hi all,
    I'd like to join this post if I may. I had my first dizzy spell on 3rd February this year and I am still suffering. I too feel all the things you do, I'm angry, upset, confused, depressed. I just want to feel normal again. I am losing who I am, I'm not doing the things I want to. I live in fear of this.

    I have seen a consultant and I've had all the tests. MRI and the water in the ear tests (awful) all clear NED. It is down to the de-compensation caused by a viral infection. The infection has left no damage, but those signals from the vestibular system have been distorted - causing the unsteadiness, dizzy and general feelings of movement.

    All they have given me to do are vestibular retraining exercises, which involve moving the head fast from side to side while focusing on a letter and walking around with my eyes closed. Told to carry on as normal, trust your balance that you won't fall over and the more exercises I do, the more normal I am, the quicker I will recover. That's all well and good but the exercise induce the dizziness, which brings on the brain fog and lightheadedness and then I feel like crying as this can happen several times a day (in between the general feelings of crapness) and it's so hard to get through each day. I'm trying to be positive that the crap feelings ARE rehabilitation and a ticket to being cured.

    So my advice is: Keep moving, the dizzier you feel, the more you need to move. Find some vestibular rehab exercises to do and stick with them. This WILL go away, we will all recover, it will just take time and in the meantime be committed to a mental asylum probably....

     
    Old 05-01-2015, 06:30 PM   #11
    starlight294
    Member
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Jan 2009
    Posts: 53
    starlight294 HB User
    Re: Help! VN or Mav????

    I have balance problems and feel like I will fall when I walk or even sitting if I move my head I do not know what is causing this I feel weak, Did you have trouble walking and feel like your ears were burning screaming and pulled up?

     
    Old 09-10-2015, 02:04 PM   #12
    prozeal
    Newbie
    (male)
     
    Join Date: Jul 2015
    Posts: 7
    prozeal HB User
    Re: Help! VN or Mav????

    You guys need to look for systemic fungal infection, because being in a dream or being drunk, could due to fungus.

     
    Closed Thread




    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is Off
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off




    Sign Up Today!

    Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

    I want my free account

    All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:40 PM.





    2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved.
    Do not copy or redistribute in any form!