It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board

• BAHA Implants? Struggling with results & what to do....

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-03-2015, 06:41 AM   #1
    Janster
    (female)

Janster HB User
    BAHA Implants? Struggling with results & what to do....

I searched the forum but most of the threads for BAHA are 3 years old.

Long story short....I had a stapedectomy 10 years ago which resulted in wearing a hearing aide for the past 9 years. Last August, I woke up totally deaf in that same ear. Misc tests & trip to John Hopkins yesterday as a 2nd opinion..... and I'm left with the disappointing realization that this is not fixable.
    So - hence the BAHA implants were suggested.

The only input I get in that ear are screeches & crackles. Nothing is recognizable at all. The BAHA seems to be a last ditch effort to offer some sort of 'relief'.

The thought of them drilling a hole into my skull is.....nerving. I want to make DAMN certain this is gonna help me before I allow them to drill into my head. Do they have samples that you can 'try on' to see it if helps?

The nurse gave me one in the doctors office. I put it on and I honestly couldn't tell if it was working. I couldn't tell if I could hear her thru the unit or my 'good' ear was picking up the sound. ??

Just looking for some input on these things....
    Thanks
    Jandy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-10-2015, 02:51 PM   #2
    sunshineTerri
    (female)

sunshineTerri HB User
    Re: BAHA Implants? Struggling with results & what to do....

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Janster View Post
    I searched the forum but most of the threads for BAHA are 3 years old.

Long story short....I had a stapedectomy 10 years ago which resulted in wearing a hearing aide for the past 9 years. Last August, I woke up totally deaf in that same ear. Misc tests & trip to John Hopkins yesterday as a 2nd opinion..... and I'm left with the disappointing realization that this is not fixable.
    So - hence the BAHA implants were suggested.

The only input I get in that ear are screeches & crackles. Nothing is recognizable at all. The BAHA seems to be a last ditch effort to offer some sort of 'relief'.

The thought of them drilling a hole into my skull is.....nerving. I want to make DAMN certain this is gonna help me before I allow them to drill into my head. Do they have samples that you can 'try on' to see it if helps?

The nurse gave me one in the doctors office. I put it on and I honestly couldn't tell if it was working. I couldn't tell if I could hear her thru the unit or my 'good' ear was picking up the sound. ??

Just looking for some input on these things....
    Thanks
    Jandy

Old 04-10-2015, 02:56 PM   #3
    sunshineTerri
    (female)

sunshineTerri HB User

Hi, did you get the Baja implant? I am also strugglingh with this decision and I am uncertain if to get the baha or if to get a stapedectomy or stapedotomy. If you did get the Baja, is your hearing very good? Would you recommend it? I have otoscleriosis in my left ear and not sure what to do.

Old 04-23-2015, 03:26 PM   #4
    Janster
    (female)

Janster HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunshineTerri View Post
    Hi, did you get the Baja implant? I am also strugglingh with this decision and I am uncertain if to get the baha or if to get a stapedectomy or stapedotomy. If you did get the Baja, is your hearing very good? Would you recommend it? I have otoscleriosis in my left ear and not sure what to do.
    Hi Terri,

I'm still in the 'deciding' process.

I had an appointment at John Hopkins again. Had a CT scan and appointment with the Audiologist. Tested the Baha system (with a headpiece) and I was actually impressed with how well it worked. The weird thing about it - the sounds sounded like they were in my left (bad) ear. So, in a sense...there's some 'directional' ability. I asked the doctor if that meant my choclea (in my bad ear) was still good. He couldn't answer ...saying "The brain works in mysterious ways"
    I have another system to decide on....CROS hearing aide system. Nobody has these things to TEST.

Next week - I have another appointment with my local Audiologist. I'm going to get fitted for a CROS system. They'll order it and I have 30 days to try it out.

At this point...it's a toss up. I like the BAHA for the 'directional' aspect. I'm not sure the CROS will be directional - as you hear EVERYTHING in your good ear.

The CROS system is wearing 2 hearing devices on both ears. The BAHA is one device attached to your skull. Sounds harsh...but.... I think I'm convincing myself of it simply because of 'less hardware' and directional ability. The Docs gave me some phone numbers of folks to talk to - who already have the BAHA. I might give them a call.....

The saga continues....

Closed Thread