It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Interstitial Cystitis (IC) Message Board

• IC or is prevacid to blame?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-21-2016, 01:47 PM   #1
    winchester466
    (female)

winchester466 HB User
    Thumbs down IC or is prevacid to blame?

Hello all,

im a 20 year old female who was prescribed prevacid for inflammation in my stomach and a hiatal hernia. A day after i started taking the medicine i got the urge to urinate and i would go maybe 3 to 5 times an hour but every time after i went the 1st time (normal sized amount of urine) it would just be a little dribble or a few drops. So that day i went to my normal doctor and i was tested for a UTI. of course it came back negative. she prescribed me Cipro anyways just in case and was told if it doesn't get better in a week to come back. 7 days later i was back in the doctor for the same urgency and frequency (still same about of urine with no change in color, smell, appearance) and i still tested negative for a UTI and she just told me my urine may be ultra concentrated and just irritating. she told me to eat more and drink more (i was sick for 2 months with a nasty stomach problem causing me not to be able to properly eat). she also told me that it was not diabetes because there was no glucose in my urine so i should worry myself with that.

13 days into taking the prevacid the pain got worse. it felt like my bladder was going to explode so i finally quit the medicine because it also gave me bad side effects. about a couple days later the urinary problem started to calm down. it was still very noticeable but i was starting to be able to tolerate it more now. a week passed and i still had to symptoms so i went to the urologist and she told me it was probably the prevacid causing me to feel like i had to go all the time and she even did an ultrasound on my bladder and said there was a small amount of urine in there but it shouldnt make me feel like i have to go this bad. she gave me Oxybutinin Chloride to relax my bladder for the time being and told me to come back in a month.

so im still having the problems and its almost a month later. some days its fine and i dont have to take medicine at all and i barely notice it. ive noticed if i eat something that would give me heartburn (greasy pizza, chili, etc) that my bladder would hurt worse. but then sometimes soda wont affect me or fast food wont affect me either. its only some days that it gets really bad and i dont know what really triggers it. the more i eat the worse it get s sometimes but i really cant pin point it anymore. the past week it got so bad i broke down in tears several times because what if this is IC and not the medicine. its really taking a toll on my mental health because i just turned 20 and i cant live like this for the rest of my life.
    im hoping someone has some answers because ive barely found any on my own. urinary problems such as urgency, frequency, and retention have been listed on the side effects for prevacid but its such a small amount (maybe 1% of users) that there's barely info about it. so i was wondering if anyone here can help me. i cant do this anymore. its so debilitating having to plan my life around this all.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2016, 09:05 AM   #2
    bridgets
    (female)

bridgets HB User
    Re: IC or is prevacid to blame?

I can say after having IC for 10 years that there are so many things that can trigger symptoms. I just recently started reading studies about how proton pump inhibitor antacids can cause kidney issues, which of course could be linked to the bladder. Maybe ask your doctor about trying an antacid like tagamet, which is considered an H-2 receptor antagonist antacid. It blocks histamine so if your stomach is sensitive to these foods your bladder may be too bladder. Hope this helps.

Old 06-04-2016, 12:36 PM   #3
    winchester466
    (female)

winchester466 HB User
    Re: IC or is prevacid to blame?

thank you for posting, bridgets!
    I actually went to my urologist on Tuesday and my bladder was really bothering me that day. she tested my urine and everything came back perfect. I told her how my Gastro prescribed me 150mg or Zantac twice a day and how when i took it for one day and my bladder felt like it was going to explode. Of course i stopped taking the 150mg and i went down to 75mg without problem. My urologist told me some people can be so sensitive to medication like this and that it can cause them all sorts of problems. she assured me nothing seriously was wrong (no diabetes or kidney problems) and that it will just take some time for the PPI to get fully out of my system (considering you're supposed to wait 4 months between treatments. ugh) but she gave me a year supply prescription for the Oxy and another appointment in a year if im not better. It's getting better (and somedays worse) as the days go by but its at least not the extent it was when it 1st started.
    Thanks, Bridgets and have a great day!

Closed Thread

Tags
    interstitial cystitis, prevacid