It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board

It wasn't IBS or bile salt diarrhea but instead.....

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-08-2017, 03:24 PM   #1
Regina54
(female)

Regina54 HB User
It wasn't IBS or bile salt diarrhea but instead.....

I am writing this just in case some others might be suffering as I did.

In 2004 I was diagnosed with diabetes and put on Metformin. I started having bad, urgent, explosive diarrhea numerous times a day. Telling my primary care physician she sent me to a gastric doctor who performed a colonscopy and gave me a diagnosis of IBS and because I had previously had my gall bladder removed diagnosed bile salt diarrhea. I was prescribed Colestipol which did not help my troubles. To make a long story short, after 14 years of suffering and pretty much becoming home bound due to having to live in the bathroom because of the diarrhea, my new primary care doctor took me off the Metformin and put me on Junuvia. I never thought I'd live to say I enjoy being constipated but I do. Benefiber helps with that problem. It wasn't foods I was or was not eating, it was the Metformin. I also had to take Omeprazole because of the bad acid reflux and I no longer have to take it. So if you have been diagnosed with IBS or bile salt diarrhea, dig a little deeper if you are on medicines that might be the real culprit. So glad I did.

The Following User Says Thank You to Regina54 For This Useful Post:
quincy (06-09-2017)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-09-2017, 10:11 AM   #2
STLouisgal
Senior Veteran
(female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User
Re: It wasn't IBS or bile salt diarrhea but instead.....

Thank you for sharing your story. It's a real shame that no doctor recognized this for 14 years!

I've been suffering with loose bowels for 11 years since an unnecessary hysterectomy. Thankfully, the frequency was only insane during the first year or two. Even though I only go once per day, I still experience urgency and very loose BM's. I don't know if it's from the displacement of the bowel that occurs once the uterus is no longer there to anchor the bowel (and bladder) or if there was some surgical damage / mishap. I did some workups but haven't done the more "invasive" ones. The other after effects of this surgery have been horrific enough... certainly didn't need this on top of it!

Old 06-09-2017, 12:21 PM   #3
quincy
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: It wasn't IBS or bile salt diarrhea but instead.....

Definitely a great suggestion as to possible causes in extreme changes of bowel habits.

q

Reply Reply

Tags
ibs-d, metformin side effects