It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board

colonoscopy

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-02-2017, 08:44 AM   #1
vincent58
(male)

vincent58 HB User
colonoscopy

I am a male 57 years old, and I had my first colonoscopy ~7 years ago. My father never had colon cancer but he had more than a few polyps that I heard had the potential to turn cancerous. So my dads doctor suggested his children get a colonoscopy, so that is what led to my first.
I have been having many issue's of late, very loose stools, constipation, cramping, all back and forth for months.
Went back to the doctor about month ago, he ordered blood tests, stool samples he was checking for celiac disease and other bacterial infections I guess. Doc said that if tests come back negative then the likely diagnosis would likely be IBS. All tests came back negative, so he ordered a colonoscopy. My colonoscopy did not go well, it was very very painful, the surgeon was not sure if he could even complete, but he eventually did. He found a couple polyps which he does not believe are serious, he said I have a tortuous colon, and some diverticulitis.
So I guess I will need to increase my fiber intake. Just kind of shocked that my colon would be this way, when 7 years earlier it was just fine. Not worried about much of anything, but I do need to make some changes in my diet I guess. Does anybody have any thoughts? I do not have celiac, but could gluten still be a factor? Should I consider going gluten free for a time? Thanks in advance for any feedback or thoughts.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-02-2017, 04:28 PM   #2
MSNik
Senior Veteran
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: colonoscopy

You not go gluten free unless you are celiac,..gluten provides some of the fiber that your body needs in order to prevent the tortured colon from getting worse.

Did your doctor prescribe anything for you? Metamucil or any fiber supplements? Was gallbladder ruled out? Your symptoms sound allot like mine did before I found out that I needed my GB removed.

My father (and 7 others in my family) died of Colon Cancer. I had my first colonoscopy at age 30....I have them every 3 years now and have lost count how many I have had without sitting down and doing the math. Colonoscopies should NOT hurt. I am assuming you had yours under twilight or conscious sedation. Next time, insist they do it in the hospital under anesthesia instead of having it done at an outpatient surgical center. They use much stronger drugs administered by an anesthesiologist. I promise, its SO much easier that way!

LIsten to your doctor. Do not follow the 'fad" of gluten free. Gluten free is only a good thing if your absolutely need to avoid gluten, following it for no reason is not a smart idea.

Good luck!

Reply Reply