It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board

• Advice? Severely sick on daily basis

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 09-26-2018, 11:43 AM   #1
    rwq1989
    (male)

rwq1989 HB User
    Advice? Severely sick on daily basis

Hey everyone, Iím new here. I am set to have an appointment with a GI physicians assistant on Friday but Iíve been through this before and I know how that stuff goes...

In any case, a little background. Iím 29 and have been suffering from GI issues since I was 25 after I had the pleasure of getting c diff after surgery for a staph infection. I was sick for the better half of the year and got better after finally doing a fecal transplant. I had two more recurrences over the next couple years (last in December of 2017). I have continued having GI issues but had been on narcotic analgesics for a long time which would mask them.

Fast forward to this summer and Iím getting very sick. I discontinue the painkillers and have to go through withdrawal and am successful. At first I attributed the stomach issues to that but not only did they not get better, they started getting worse... diarrhea 20+ times a day, vomiting once or twice most days, severe cramps pain that is in the lower left quadrant most of the time, sometimes on the upper left, and occasionally on the right upper and lower sides. I get massive waves of nausea and have been taking zofran and bentyl to help me out but they really donít seem to help much. I lost 11 pounds in 13 days -Ďd am not eating much at all. I still get hungry and can get nauseous from not eating but every time I eat I have horrible pain and fits of diarrhea so I choose the less painful option. I started a low fodmap, very low carb diet about four weeks ago.

Iíve had to drop out of school, my previous semesters were all affected by having to drop courses or take time off and finish them the following semester due to c diff and GI issues.

Also, I have been taking a number of supplements. I have been taking some refrigerated probiotics from Whole Foods, colostrum capsules, activated yeast, fresh turmeric and pepper, ginger, thyme oil... I know Iím forgetting stuff...

Iíve tried these different things after reading medical literature and consulting with family members who are doctors. Nothing has helped. When I initially went to the ER I was prescribed cipro which I definitely did not take. I donít need c diff again. A stool sample came back positive for entero hemorragic E. coli. A more recent test was negative, though. (And for c diff)

Iíve considered it may be SIBO or something like crohns but I just donít know. Does anyone know how severe the effects of SIBO can actually be? Iím completely crippled by this at this point and can barely even leave the house.

Any advice?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2018, 11:25 AM   #2
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
    Re: Advice? Severely sick on daily basis

It absolutely sounds like you could have SIBO...with the narcotics you took along with the intense amount of infections you have had; it is a real possibility.

You should talk to the GI office about a breath test along with further stool tests. Remember, those can change from week to week...

You will wind up on high doses of antibiotics if you have SIBO (probably Flagyl) and will need to watch your diet closely. The FODMAP diet is a really good place to start- but make sure you are doing it under a doctor's care so they can start eliminating certain foods to see if they are reacting badly..

Unfortunately, you seem to be pretty on top of this- and until you start talking to the PA or a doctor, you are not going to know much more than you know now.

Please let us know how you are doing!

Old 10-07-2018, 03:01 PM   #3
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User
    Re: Advice? Severely sick on daily basis

Dear rwq,

After taking antibiotics we need to take probiotics for awhile to rebalance the beneficial bacteria in the gut. Antibiotics kill both the beneficial and the harmful bacteria. It does not discriminate the difference.

Talk to a Naturopath or a knowledgeable person at a health food store. To get rebalanced takes awhile, but it can be dome. I have done it many times, myself.

Reply Reply

Tags
    crohn's, ibs, sibo