It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board

Could this be IBD? Thoughts?

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-20-2018, 01:51 AM   #1
jclea
(female)

jclea HB User
Could this be IBD? Thoughts?

Hi there,

I have a somewhat odd history of GI issues that have been worsening and are now accompanied by persistent low grade fevers, an elevated WBC count for over 2 months, elevated CRP and ESR for 2 months (though only mildly elevated CRP:15-19 and ESR: 31), joint aches, and fatigue.

As far as GI symptoms go, Iíve had chronic constipation since childhood. My constipation was eventually managed on a regimen of miralax but as a teen I experienced frequent stomach aches and then developed rectal pain and bleeding. I had a workup at that time and after a colonoscopy I was diagnosed with solitary rectal ulcer syndrome attributed to constipation. I was given mesalamine enemas for 6 weeks and the bleeding and rectal pain resolved. I continued to struggle with constipation into adulthood which I managed by titrating my miralax doses. I had several episodes of rectal bleeding and pain over the years but didnít follow up with GI. Constipation remained an issue and I started pelvic floor physical therapy for spasmed pelvic muscles which did help the constipation eventually. Last year the bleeding and rectal pain returned and werenít resolving on their own. I had also lost over 100lbs without making much of an effort at all. I saw a GI and had a colonoscopy and the diagnosis was solitary rectal ulcer syndrome again. They recommended I increase my miralax and continue with pelvic floor PT.

The bleeding and pain continued despite a strict regimen of multiple miralax doses daily to keep my stools soft. In August I had a sudden worsening of pain and was found to have a peri rectal abscess. It was drained under anesthesia and I was treated with 3 days of IV antibiotics. The doctors said sometimes infections like that just happen and didnít seem concerned.

People keep mentioning IBD as a possibility to me but the GI I saw last year didnít feel that was the issue. I wasnít having the joint aches, fatigue, and abnormal lab tests at that time but still IBD doesnít usually present with constipation.

Should I push for another workup given the new symptoms?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-20-2018, 11:02 AM   #2
quincy
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: Could this be IBD? Thoughts?

Hi....absolutely IBD presents with constipation if it's limited in the rectum...as your issues are.
With abscesses and ulcer, I thought maybe perianal Crohn's disease.

When did you have the c-scope? And did you have biopsies done throughout?

q

Old 10-20-2018, 11:06 AM   #3
quincy
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: Could this be IBD? Thoughts?

Hi....absolutely IBD presents with constipation if it's limited in the rectum...as your issues are.
With abscesses and ulcer, I thought maybe perianal Crohn's disease.

When did you have the c-scope? And did you have biopsies done throughout?

q

Reply Reply

« Fear and IBS D | - »