It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board

• IBS-D Ruined My Life

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 01-29-2019, 12:03 PM   #1
    AshTray900
    (male)

AshTray900 HB User
    IBS-D Ruined My Life

It seems for the last 11 years, kind of around the time I quit smoking, IBS started to give me problems, they have only gotten worse over the years. Ive been tested for celiac disease and it came back negative. Its seems to get progressively worse over the years and could be semi-related to the simple fact that it stresses me out to not be within running distance of a restroom.

I've had a couple CT scans and my gallbladder and liver looked at under an ultrasound, no problems aside from a somewhat fatty liver which I've had practically my whole life. all looks good.

Anxiety medications I had started to take after a slight heart episode requiring a stent have made 0% difference, right after that I lost ALOT of weight and probably ate half the recommended calories, that made no difference, gained a lot of it back now, still the same.

Gastro doctor gave me dicyclomine which basically changes the urgency from 30 seconds to 5 minutes. I don't always have this issue, but it occurs quite frequently a few times a week, if I have to go anywhere I hit the Imodium 2 doses the night before and take 1 the next morning. I then get bloated as heck and I fart like a lumberjack but I'm safe. I REFUSE to eat on the road. My boss gets sick of me trying to avoid driving even though I can accomplish most of my job remotely I keep getting pestered to put miles on the car so they don't take it from us as an unneeded vehicle.

I have basically turned into a hermit, I don't leave the house unless its right around the corner and I'm feeling good. their are times I go to work (only about 8 minutes away which isn't bad) but while there I'm at a point that if something came up requiring a long drive I would just have to say I'm sorry I'm sick and leave which would just seem lazy or odd to them, but they have no idea what its like to defecate your pants or cut people off in traffic sliding into a gas station crooked at the front door and run in, or the only other option, pull the car off the road and dart to the woods. I keep toilet paper and a change of clothes in a tote in my trunk.

I cannot take Imodium all the time, it has bad side effects if I take too much and from what ive read this is not something you should just do on a regular basis to solve IBS-D and can cause serious heath conditions.

I'm a single man living by myself so a perfect healthy diet isn't really that achievable, and at work the only places to eat nearby are crappy fast food joints so I just don't eat or I eat one of those 6 packs of crackers and peanut butter to stave off the hunger.

I never do any of the things I used to like to do, I have just basically willingly decided to make my home a place I just stay 99% of the time I don't work, it doesn't make me feel depressed or anything its just turned into the way I want to live, but the underlying cause is basically bad IBS-D.

There seems to be no real cure, ive had two periods in my life that were drastically different diet wise and really didn't have much overlap and it was a problem I had at the same frequency both times.

I would really like to get rid of this, other people obviously don't have it, its not normal. infact when the doctor asks me if I'm regular I have no idea what to say, I don't schedule to poop, I don't do it around the same timeframe each time, I basically wait, the feeling hits and I either have a little time and its ok or I don't. I used to drive all the time and loved going everywhere, now I put so little miles on my cars they actually accumulate value which is sad.

Ive learned a valuable lesson, never trust a fart lol

has anyone gotten rid of a pretty bad case of this, found anything to help that's legit and not snake oil like those crazy essential oils etc?

Last edited by Administrator; 03-11-2019 at 09:34 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2019, 09:29 AM   #2
    IKnowWhat
    (female)

IKnowWhat HB User
    Re: IBS-D Ruined My Life.

Hi, Ashtray! So so sorry to hear about your life with IBS-D! I wish I could help you but reading your post, I feel badly about your life! I just came to this board because I have a pain in my left colon area that won't go away! CT scan shows nothing. What the heck is it? I have visited my doctor and she tries to help with different medications, but the pain is back with a vengeance today!

The only thing I could advise is go back to your gastro doctor or go back to your primary and make them help you. If they can't, go to someone else. I trust the medical profession because I couldn't do a lot of these things myself such as diagnosing my illness.

How are you doing these days?

Last edited by Administrator; 03-11-2019 at 12:07 PM.

Old 03-17-2019, 09:28 AM   #3
    STLouisgal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User
    Re: IBS-D Ruined My Life

Sorry for the late response... just saw your post. I have had the same problem which has gradually improved on its own but still not back to normal. My GI doctor suggested I use psyllium husk (Metamucil or off-brand). That seemed counter-intuitive to me because I thought fiber was supposed to increase BM's and I did not need that! But the bulk is supposed to make BM's firmer which should help. It did help me.

I was told that it is best to use the kind you mix with water and make sure it is a full glass as it warns on the container. It is a daily routine change but will be worth it if it works. (I usually drank mine in the morning.) If you try it, let us know if it works. It may take a little while (I would think a couple or few weeks) to know if it is effective.

The Following User Says Thank You to STLouisgal For This Useful Post:
    IKnowWhat (03-19-2019)
    Old 04-11-2019, 07:35 PM   #4
    bestoldies04
    (female)

bestoldies04 HB Userbestoldies04 HB User

My husband was recently diagnosed with having severe IBS. He had severe gas issues and diaherra several times a day everyday. No quality of life lost 48 pounds. The Gastroenterologist had been treating him for Barretts Esophagus that was pre Cancer. He was so focused on this that he ignored the IBS. The pain on his right side was so severe he could not sit or lay down. We went to a primary doctor he diagnosed the IBS told him to take fiber, either Metamucil or Citrucel twice a day. Taking the Citrucel has made a big difference with the gas and diaherra. It has only been ten days so we are not sure if this is temporary. The Gastro doctor heard we saw another doctor it got his attention. My husband is now trying new drug called Creon it's a Pancreas medication but has shown success in some patients. it took us a year before he got the help he needed. I hope some of this helps.

Old 05-01-2019, 01:36 PM   #5
    JimB
    (male)

JimB HB User

Be assured you're not alone in this annoying, life-changing condition.

I could have written the opening post myself. I've had to deal with IBS-D for most of my adult life past the age of about 35. Sometimes it goes away for months and even several years. Just when I think I'm done with it, the symptoms begin again. I've had various tests, including several colonoscopies, and everything is fine. I really believe it is related to stress/anxiety.

Good luck to us all.

Last edited by Administrator; 05-01-2019 at 05:12 PM.

Old 05-02-2019, 03:39 AM   #6
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

How long ago were your tests? Tests can change as quickly as week to week or month to month...if it has been longer than 6 months, you should request further testing for your gallbladder and even a scope. Things may have changed and whatever is wrong might appear this time.

Reply Reply

Tags
    ibs - d