It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board

• Pain In Left Colon Area

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 03-11-2019, 09:59 AM   #1
    IKnowWhat
    (female)

IKnowWhat HB User
    Pain In Left Colon Area

CT scan showed nothing wrong; had colonoscopy two years ago, all fine there. Just this pain. Pain relievers don't help. I am not constipated.

Last edited by Administrator; 03-11-2019 at 12:24 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2019, 11:17 AM   #2
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
    Re: Pain In Left Colon Area

Hi...since there is nothing organic happening, I would lean to food.

Where exactly is the pain, and when exactly does it happen?

q

Old 03-11-2019, 12:53 PM   #3
    IKnowWhat
    (female)

IKnowWhat HB User

The pain is in the left, lower quadrant of my pelvis...near the colon. The pain also comes on the right side, same area, as well. I eat lots of fruits and veggies, always have. The CT scan showed "retained stool" so maybe it is constipation and I don't know it? I do "go" every day but maybe some stays behind?

Old 03-12-2019, 04:06 AM   #4
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

I assume you have seen a GI doctor since you had a colonoscopy. Was two years ago the last time you saw him/ her? Make an appointment and go back.

Changes in the colon can appear more often than over 2 years..I get scoped every 24 months simply because I have a history of colon cancer in my family...but your issue sounds allot more like constipation and there are plenty of drugs you can take to ease this and see if that is what it is...it could also be gallbladder related and a colonoscopy would not show the Gb. Only an ultrasound or HIDA scan would.

Try increasing your water intake and eliminating fat from your diet for a few weeks and see if it helps. Water and fiber (things like Oatmeal and apples) will help if it is constipation...but eliminating fat will help if it is your Gallbladder...

You should really go back to the GI doctor for another exam.

Old 03-12-2019, 11:21 AM   #5
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Depending on the prep required for a CT...retained stool could just mean on its way through the colon. The stool making process is constant.

Left and right side can mean ovulation if you get it periodically....but that's something that can be documented and a pattern pretty much obvious.

The lower left side is sigmoid and lower right is cecum...where the small intestine joins the colon. If there is something your gut doesn't like or produces more gas than usual, you will initially feel it there. Happens to me, and it takes about 6 - 8 hours after consuming something to feel the gas (which will start in the small intestine and continue through to the colon)

I agree go see a gastroenterologist, and see if you can have food testing set up. You should have another c-scope as another baseline.

Are you consuming any artificial sweeteners?

Many fruits have fructose, and its possible you cannot deal with them....there is a test for that.

Hope you get more answers....
    q

Old 03-12-2019, 06:25 PM   #6
    IKnowWhat
    (female)

IKnowWhat HB User

I recently had a CT scan of my abdomen and pelvis. All was normal, including gallbladder. I am almost positive it is constipation. My GI doctor has yet to call me back. I would change, but I like her and if I switch over to someone else, I won’t be able to see her again…per my insurance. I started Aimovig for migraines last July. One of the side effects is constipation. Maybe it was building up and this is a result of the Aimovig. I will need to run this all by my GI doctor when I get in to see her. I am continuing to drink lots of water and eat fiber type foods. I took Miralax a few times and although it seems to work, it is hard on my stomach. I sent away for some Smooth Move tea which I have read works really well but is not the conventional laxative. Thank you for your suggestions. I do eat Stevia and don’t know if this is causing anything. I will just stick to water (I have Stevia in Kool Aid but don’t drink that much each day).

Old 03-13-2019, 01:44 PM   #7
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User

Dear IKnowWhat,

We need to avoid laxatives as much as possible. To get the gut back in motion, we can take probiotics and prebiotics regularly, and drink filtered water. Australian licorice has real licorice in it and helps rebalance the gut. These things take time to work, so don't try to force it. Your gut can rebalance itself.

Phillips brand has a stool softener. Use it only as directed so as to avoid painful cramping. DO NOT allow yourself to strain. It takes time for the gut to rebalance after a colonoscopy.

Eat vegetable fiber such as cooked cabbage, squash, pumpkin and any other cooked dark colored vegetables. Eat all you can or want of it.

I have migraines too but won't take constipating drugs, plus the drugs usually have other undesirable side effects. Instead I take aspirin with a half cup of coffee. That keeps the migraines under control.

Reply Reply