It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board

• took too much metamucil and now I'm constipated

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 08-24-2019, 02:23 AM   #1
    mooney12
    (female)

mooney12 HB User
    took too much metamucil and now I'm constipated

Basically. After a lot of stress and bad food, I had a bad IBS-D episode earlier this month where usually I get C but this time it was D, and it was off and on for over a week even when I changed my whole diet, so I bought metamucil (the kind you mix in water) and it stopped the diarrhea. At first was great but then I realized I wasn't going at all.

I have been able to pass a few small stools this past week but I'm still very constipated, and today I realized I had been taking big tablespoons of the metamucil powder when they instruct (with very small hard to find print) you take TEAspoons. Yikes.

So how do I get myself to go now?? I've been drinking lots of water but all I do is pee. I didn't take the powder tonight but should I keep taking it at all?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-24-2019, 07:01 AM   #2
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
    Re: took too much metamucil and now I'm constipated

Stop taking the metamucil completely for a few days until your body regulates itself again.... you could also try eating prunes or drinking prune juice which is known to stimulate.. just no more supplements or pills until you get back to where you were. You should be fine in a few days...but if after a few days you are still not going, you'll want to talk to a GI doctor to make sure you don't have any kind of blockage. Its not likely...you just threw your system out of wack!

Old 08-25-2019, 02:46 PM   #3
    mooney12
    (female)

mooney12 HB User
    Re: took too much metamucil and now I'm constipated

Thanks, the prune juice helped lot more than the water, some small movements are occurring lol so it's good I didn't have a blockage. I was so worried I OD'd on the metamucil. But hopefully long after everything settles down I can return to it in smaller amounts because from what I've read, it really helps for IBS.

Reply Reply