It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board

• Elimination diet not working

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 09-04-2019, 02:48 AM   #1
    siiva108
    (male)

siiva108 HB User
    Elimination diet not working

Hello,

I've been trying to get my diet down to something as simple as possible but I'm still struggling with extreme gas (noxious) to the point where it keeps me up at night. Bowel movements are very inconsistent: Once a day it might be normal, but then rest of the day it's running and slightly painful to pass, and I've noticed that some food passes undigested when this happens.

I've had tests done that show slightly elevated levels of histamine, and yeast in my stool. No parasites, SIBO negative.

My diet consists of:
    - Eggs
    - Fresh white fish and some shellfish
    - Vegetables: Carrots, Potatoes, Mushrooms
    - Fruits: Apples, Oranges, Blueberries, Melons, Bananas, Mango, Cucumber, Zucchini, Avocado
    - Grains: Basmati Rice, crunchy stuff made of either corn or buckwheat
    - Nuts: Pistachios
    - Drinks: One black tea in AM, Green tea in afternoon, and water

Everything I eat is organic, and try to eat raw but often cook with olive or coconut oil. I'm taking digestive enzymes with all meals.

I'm now considering cutting out:
    - Shellfish
    - Grains: Everything but rice
    - Black tea (but I don't want to!!)
    - Fruit: Mango, Melon, Bananas, Oranges
    - All cooking oils (but I don't want to, otherwise avocado is my only source of fat)

What do you think of this plan or do you have any suggestions?

I've been trying to avoid taking rifaximin to solve this but I feel like I'm backed into a corner. I'm starting to get into a serious funk and feel the depression coming on as it's hard to leave the house these days.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-04-2019, 10:22 AM   #2
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
    Re: Elimination diet not working

Have you had stool testing done?
    Its possible you are sensitive to FODMAP foods.
    Look into it and see if that could be a possiblity.

q

Old 09-04-2019, 11:40 AM   #3
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Siiva108,

Unless your doctor tells you that you have a definite need for an antibiotic, I would not ask for it.

If you have "bad" bacteria in your digestive system it may be because you're feeding it too many of the wrong foods and not enough of the foods that will promote the growth of "good" bacteria. If you feed the good bacteria what it wants, it will multiply and overpower the bad bacteria.

It looks like you may be eating too many sweet fruits and lack variety on healthy vegetables. For vegetables you only mentioned 3, and nothing green? What about broccoli, Brussels sprouts, asparagus, green chard, romaine lettuce etc.? That's what the good microorganisms want - feed them what they like and they will reward you.

For grains, you might try steel-cut oats and whole grain millet instead of rice.

Try adding a small sprinkling of ground flax seeds to the above grains.

Try having a few walnuts in addition to pistachios

A better choice of fish would be sardines and/or salmon.

I just noticed you are cutting out some of the sweet fruits. That's good, but you can have a small serving of banana if it's slightly greenish, not dark green.

Extra virgin, cold pressed, olive oil is supposed to be good but not for cooking. Don't cook it, add it to your food for flavoring, along with some fresh lemon juice.

Old 09-04-2019, 02:18 PM   #4
    siiva108
    (male)

siiva108 HB User

I have had stool testing done. No blood, no parasites, but did show the presence of yeast.

I had a blood test that showed no allergies, although I know lactose kills me, which I have avoided for most of my adult life.

Old 09-04-2019, 02:33 PM   #5
    siiva108
    (male)

siiva108 HB User

I have been going through this for many years, and trying to avoid the antibiotic as much as possible, but I'm getting desperate.

I ate a whole food, vegetarian diet (no milk products) for 25 years. I was never a junk food person, and always ate healthy, so I don't know how I could have been feeding it more bad then good.

I do eat lettuce, I forgot that. I've been eating a low histamine, low oxalate diet for 8 months, which doesn't leave a lot of choice in vegetables. I can add bok choy, cauliflower, zucchini and millet. I just heard about an oxalate reducing enzyme so maybe if I take that then I can add some of that other good stuff you listed.

Old 09-05-2019, 05:31 AM   #6
    siiva108
    (male)

siiva108 HB User

[see below]

Old 09-05-2019, 11:00 PM   #7
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Wow....good you had the testing. Please keep us updated.

q

Old 09-06-2019, 05:27 AM   #8
    siiva108
    (male)

siiva108 HB User

I just got some results back: Blood test shows signs of malnutrition and stool analysis shows exocrine pancreatic insufficiency (Elastase at 54g, where normal range is > 200g).

Perhaps my dieting efforts have been in vain. I'll go to the doctor and see what the next steps are.

Old 09-06-2019, 09:54 AM   #9
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

You would never have known unless tested for it. Do research on it to make a list of directed questions for the doctor.

Since you've already been proactive till now trying efforts to make a difference....it will be an easier go given your ability to accommodate.

I cannot stress more about being prepared for your appointment....it is a serious thing to have because of the malnutrition.

Please keep us updated.

q

Old 09-07-2019, 07:35 AM   #10
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by siiva108 View Post
    I just got some results back: Blood test shows signs of malnutrition and stool analysis shows exocrine pancreatic insufficiency (Elastase at 54g, where normal range is > 200g).

Perhaps my dieting efforts have been in vain. I'll go to the doctor and see what the next steps are.
    If you're going to a medical doctor, the most likely thing he or she will do is give you a prescriptions for CREON. It's a medication to increase pancreatic enzymes. It seems to be the standard treatment for EPI.

But it has a number of possible side effects like nausea, diarrhea, vomiting, gas, greasy stools, bloating, stomach pain, constipation, upset stomach, rectal irritation, dizziness, headache, cough, sore throat, weight loss, frequent or abnormal bowel movements, runny or stuffy nose, and changes in your blood sugar.

CREON, as well as other enzyme products, are made from the pancreas of pigs. So it may be possible to pick up a viral infection from this source.

Because of the above possible side effects, I would recommend that you also consult with a nutritionist so that you will have the best possible diet for your condition. Also, you might first do some research on your own to see what type of diet is best.

According to my research, a nutrient rich diet is best. That would include many more types of vegetables as I previously mentioned. You may have a vitamin or mineral deficiency that your doctor has not picked up on. Could this be the reason your pancreas is not functioning properly?

Reply Reply