It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board

• lower back pain with abdominal

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-10-2003, 05:00 PM   #1
    shioban

shioban HB User
    lower back pain with abdominal

does your lower back ache too

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-11-2003, 12:48 AM   #2
    Kerry B

Kerry B HB User
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shioban
    does your lower back ache too
    Yes I have really bad lower back pain, also my left hip hurts aswell. Was wondering myself if anyone has this. My back ache is worse when I need a bm and is relieved a lot when I have a bm. Not sure if this is anything to do with IBS or a completely separate thing.

Old 11-11-2003, 06:07 AM   #3
    Rorie
    (female)

Rorie HB User
    I also have a lot of back/hip pain with IBS...and I also suffer occasionally with shortness of breath. My doctor recently discovered I have scoliosis (a curved spine) and says it is causing some of my problems. I have read some articles that IBS is connected sometimes to scoliosis...just curious if you happen to have scoliosis?

Old 11-11-2003, 06:58 AM   #4
    Kerry B

Kerry B HB User
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rorie
    I also have a lot of back/hip pain with IBS...and I also suffer occasionally with shortness of breath. My doctor recently discovered I have scoliosis (a curved spine) and says it is causing some of my problems. I have read some articles that IBS is connected sometimes to scoliosis...just curious if you happen to have scoliosis?
    Ive heard of scoliosis but dont know anything about it. I havent told my dr about my back/hip pain because I wasnt sure if it was related and didnt want to go to him with a list of problems...wanted to concerntrate on the IBS without being sidetracked to something else. Ive had a clicky hip (left one) on and off for many years but lately the pain in my back and hip has been quite constant and at times excruciatingly painful so much that I cant get up from sitting or straighten immediately..maybe it isnt IBS related but a lot of my IBS pain is also lower left abdominal, and the back pain does ease after a bm, maybe its just pressure.

Old 11-11-2003, 07:07 AM   #5
    AngelGlow

AngelGlow HB User
    I too have been having terrible lower back pain which radiates into my left hip. This has been going on for about 3 weeks. My leg and upper back have started going numb. I called the doctor and I have an appointment today. My doctor, after my phone call, does not seem to feel this is related to my IBS. I guess I will find out in a few hours what is causing this pain.

Old 11-11-2003, 08:38 AM   #6
    Rorie
    (female)

Rorie HB User
    Please let us know what your doctor says. I was very surprised to find out I have scoliosis and also very surprised to read about what all it can cause. I have a lot of hip, back, knee pain and also tailbone pain and I believe it is all pretty much related to the scoliosis. My pain is pretty much all on my right side, even my irritable bowel problems.

Old 11-12-2003, 07:33 AM   #7
    AngelGlow

AngelGlow HB User
    Rorie...

Well, my doctor said that my back and hip problems are not related to my IBS at all. I have inflamed discs which are putting pressure on some nerves. This is much like a pinched nerve. So now along with the Donnatel I have to take for my IBS he has me on anti-inflammatories and muscle relaxers.

He told me that lower back problems are not unusual with IBS-C due to the pressure that builds up in that general area when one has constipation issues, but I am IBS-D, so nothing really builds up in there for me. In a way I am glad it is not IBS related, but on the other hand, it is kind of frustrating to have yet another problem.

Thank you Rorie, for caring. The support found here is wonderful and it helped me get through the day with a smile in spite of all of this.

Old 11-12-2003, 02:59 PM   #8
    shioban

shioban HB User
    wow i am so glad to know that i am not the only one who has lower back pain. i mean it gets so bad that i cant breath normal and then my abdominal pain starts to go and to top it off i have costocondritis i hope i spelled it correct so i got blood work done to make sure it was not anything else and it came back clear. and my doctor says "sounds like you have ibs"

Old 11-12-2003, 09:27 PM   #9
    Dimaki

Dimaki HB User
    Hi,

I've had lower back pain for a couple years now, and in to the left hip, but only within the last 6 months did I get IBS-D symptoms. But then again looking back it was more of a gradual thing. My doctor hasn't connected the two yet, although I'm going tomorrow for more back and hip pain, along with the abdominal, so we'll see if he says anything.

Old 11-14-2003, 07:26 AM   #10
    AngelGlow

AngelGlow HB User
    Dimaki....

Just wanted to let you know that I am thinking of you Let us know what the doctor tells you. Try to keep your spirits up! Hugs!

Old 11-14-2003, 12:52 PM   #11
    vankay

vankay HB User
    back pain relation

I have herniated discs in the lower back. I could swear that my IBS started the same time! My doctors say it is unrelated tooo.

But what kills me is that you know people that have disc pains can lose urinary and bowel control with severe back problems..........sooooooo woudn't it be plausible to have IBS relationship too??? I mean if nerves in the back can cause urinary and bowel lose why not IBS?!

vankay

Old 11-14-2003, 05:01 PM   #12
    cardinal
    Senior Veteran

cardinal HB User
    Vankay, I hear you! I too have suffered with bowel troubles and back pain for 20yrs+. Makes you wonder? Doctors are not much help, seems we have to do our own research all the time! I have porokeratosis and the dermo had no clue what it was! after the biopsy he knew, thanks to the lab! I've read up on it and went yesterday for a follow up and had to clue him in on the possibilities of the causes for this disease. Its getting so frustrating with all the health problems and not having anyone to fully trust.

Old 11-15-2003, 08:20 AM   #13
    AngelGlow

AngelGlow HB User
    Vankay,

I sounds to me like it could be possible for back pains to cause IBS symptoms, but I believe my back problems are a completely separate issue. I have been suffering with IBS for a little over 25 years, and my back problems only manifested a few weeks ago. Either way, it is very unpleasant for those of us who are suffering.

In your particular case I think it is worth investigating. Although there is no real "cure" for IBS, I think it does help to know how and why it started. After 25 years I am still researching, with no conclusive answers.

Take care

Old 11-16-2003, 07:21 AM   #14
    shioban

shioban HB User
    Unhappy help

how long does your pain last mine lasts 10 to 20 min and then i feel as if i need to go to the restroom. it is where my kidneys are then it travels to my upper chest and then to my lower stomach it hurts so bad that they had to call the ambulance i am so scared please help

Old 11-17-2003, 07:44 AM   #15
    AngelGlow

AngelGlow HB User
    When I have a flare up, or attack I experience severe lower abdominal cramping and pain... kind of like someone is shoving a spear through me. When this happens I know I need to stay near a restroom for the entire day. I take Donnatal for the cramping and it does help take the edge off, but the only problem with that is I can not take it every time. It make me groggy and I babysit an infant 4 days a week. I feel I need to stay alert when caring for someone else's child. As I said before, my lower back problems are a completely separate issue, but when you add them to IBS it is easy to feel scared, frustrated and discouraged, which is where I am at today. My back pain has worsened and I am having a very bad IBS day.

Take care and try to keep your spirits up. Keep in mind that IBS is not life-threatening.

Closed Thread