It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board

• Not digesting some foods, please help

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-02-2004, 01:44 PM   #1
    Kaye2003
    (female)

Kaye2003 HB User
    Not digesting some foods, please help

I posted a few days ago on my IBS and other health issues in general and have received no responses. I think I made it to long and probably put you to sleep before you finished. Anyway, I have another problem that I am really worried about. I have IBS-C and I take Elavil, Librax, Flax Oil, Acidophilus, and Miralax. I have at least one bm a day and sometimes 2 (which 2 were normal my whole life until the arthritis meds that caused D. Then meds to stop the D caused C and i've not been regular on my own since, ...IBS-C according to my GI). Always really watery BMs (sorry to be so gross). Anyway, I don't seem to digest alot of things I eat; corn, peas, greens, tomatoes,etc., and even some medicines unless they are very small pills (elavil), small caps (librax) or jellcaps. I'll pass them the same night and sometimes even the next day. Does this happen to any of you or do think I could have something else going on with the IBS. I also have FM, TMJ and Acid Reflux. Any help or advise will be appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-02-2004, 09:03 PM   #2
    suzi47cmt

suzi47cmt HB User
    Re: Not digesting some foods, please help

I have had some of my meds pass right through too. that can be discouraging. However, ask your doctor if some of these non-soluable, or non-digestable meds are available in liquid form. That is what my doctor did for me, and I actually began to feel so much better, because I was actually finally benefiting from them. when they come out the way they went in, it is kinda obvious that we arent getting the medicines absorbed into our systems I guess. The only advice I can really give you is to make sure you try to tell your doctor everything that goes on with you, like any pains, the foods you are eating and drinking, how you feel at different times of the day, etc. (I keep little notes to myself when things occur, so that when I see the doctor I can tell him) I know usually when I actually get in to see my doctor, I just seem to go "blank" and cannot be thorough in describing things to him or her.

I really hope this helps a little. take care, I will keep you in my thoughts. Please let us know how you are doing, and if any of this helps. good luck now.

Old 01-03-2004, 06:38 AM   #3
    Harry
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
    Lightbulb Re: Not digesting some foods, please help

The problem with food as well as medicine passing ritht through you is that vital nutrients and medication does not get absorbed.

I have found that psyllium like Metamucil slows your system transit time down enough so that things get digested and works well with diarrhea as like it does with constipation.

For your digestive system to function properly---you need 20 to 30 grams of fiber daily. It needs to a combination of soluble and insoluble fiber.

You could also try a digestive enzyme and chew every thing well.

Last edited by Harry; 01-03-2004 at 06:40 AM.

Old 01-05-2004, 02:28 PM   #4
    dbarj
    (female)

dbarj HB User
    Re: Not digesting some foods, please help

I had the exact same problem until I added FiberCon and acidophillus, 2 tablets each at bedtime. It has honestly nearly cured me. Good luck.

Closed Thread