It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board

• embarassing stomach/abdominal sounds

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-22-2004, 01:52 PM   #1
    chrisy82

chrisy82 HB User
    Unhappy embarassing stomach/abdominal sounds

Hi,
    For the past 3 years I started having problems with stomach sounds. Not "I'm hungry" sounds, but uncontrollable gurgling and very squeamish sounds, similar to farts or something. I'm guessing it's gas but I really don't know what is wrong with me, and doctors don't seem to be very helpful or sympathetic. I had IBS when I was in high school and now I'm a college senior, and I dropped two of my classes because they were too long and quiet. I can't sit in the lecture room halls because I am afraid that someone will hear and I constantly think about that all the time. It sucks that there are hundreds of other students just sitting there calmly and their biggest problem is boredom. I saw a commercial for zelnorm and was wondering if there was anyone who had the same problem and tried this Px or anything else to solve this problem. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2004, 06:41 PM   #2
    Joey82

Joey82 HB User
    Re: embarassing stomach/abdominal sounds

[QUOTE=chrisy82]Hi,

Chrisy82,

I am also a student who suffers from the same problem. This terrible plague first hit me when I was a sophmore in college. At first I didn't care about a little noise, but then I realized I had to sit in a dead silent classroom for four hours a day. These noises are quite noticable when it is quiet. With dating, school, movies, and almost everything, I am constantly reminded. (thanks to my stomach.) I greatly sympathize with you. I have altered my class schedule along with my life schedule to accomidate these embarrassing and humiliating noises coming from my stomach/intestines. No matter what I eat these gurgling noises still occur. I have undergone every test, exam, and diet known to man. None seemed to help. Every DR. seems to say IBS and stress. I can't bare to hear that word IBS any longer. This is such a fague and general disease. Being diagnosed with IBS does nothing to improve this bad situation. Niether does simply saying, " you're stressed, stop being stressed". "OK, I'll remember to stop doing that, thanks Doc". However, I'm happy to say there is hope. After all this time, I have tried a diet that seems to work. This works for me and hopefully it will work for you:

Stop eating all grains for two days. Then slowly bring in potatos and maybe corn or rice. DO NOT EAT any products containing GLUTEN. No WHEAT, BARLY, or OATS. Read every label carefully. Eat a lot of simple meats like broiled chicken, baked fish, etc. Start taking a supplement called Healthy Trinity after every meal. ( if you're like me you don't eat because of your quiet classed, but take it at least twice a day) This stuff is expensive but just do it. These pills contain flora, acidophillus, and other good bacteria. Also take calcium.This will help repair your stomach and aid digestion. You can ask your doctor about a drug which relaxes the bowels called Hyoscyamine. I don't like taking drugs because they do not cure the problem. They only temporarily help a little with the noise (not the pain). OK...the main thing here is GLUTEN. If you haven't tried eliminating this, you may want to try it. Gluten is a protein in wheat products. If your body has a problem with it, your small intestines will not absorb this protein. It will actually prohibit other nutrients from being absorbed with the gluten. Therefore you get diarhea and light cramping followed by the gurgles. So try this out and let me know how you're doing. I hope this helps. And believe me, I know what you're going through. All I can say is that this sucks. We're too young for this crap. But I still have hope. Anyway, take it easy.

Joey82

Old 01-23-2004, 12:56 AM   #3
    chrisy82

chrisy82 HB User

Hi Joey82,

Thanks for the reply. Your words were comforting (and funny) and I'll try your suggestions. Socially, I feel like I am missing out on a lot (i.e., not going to movies, etc) and I'm glad to hear you've found a solution. I hope it works for me too cause this problem is really driving me NUTS.

Old 01-23-2004, 09:02 AM   #4
    needasolution

needasolution HB User

Hey I am a student in LA too and I have the same problem. What has helped me actually is making sure I eat before every class but eating foods that are light and easy on my stomach. I also make sure that I take peppermint oil pills after everything I eat and this has helped ALOT! I also use digestive enzymes and Prelief every night after i eat dinner. I also noticed that the things I eat the day before affect the noises the next day so you might need to watch what you eat every day. I hope this helps

Old 01-26-2004, 08:55 PM   #5
    nightangel00

nightangel00 HB User

You know I have been dealing with gurgling sounds but they are not too bad, they only seem to bother in the morning but I found it so very odd. The interesting thing I have observered is that it only happens where I live. I dont get any gurgling sounds at all when I travel. I went to NY and I didnt had them, I went to the country I was born for a week and the gurglings completetly dissapeared, I went to west coast other week and the gurglings also went away but I come back here to where I live and I get the freaking gurlglings back. Isnt this odd?? Im wondering if Im allergic to this state! Fortunatetly they seem to be decreased now with this last trip so I feel better about it. It is so annoying!

Old 01-26-2004, 09:14 PM   #6
    Harry
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
    Lightbulb Re: embarassing stomach/abdominal sounds

Gurgling sounds are sometimes caused by gas moving in your intestines. Here is a good site to read and maybe some of the suggestions may solve your problem-- who know--??

[url]http://www.aboutibs.org/Publications/gas.html[/url]

I wish all of you well---Harry

Old 02-01-2004, 08:56 PM   #7
    chrisy82

chrisy82 HB User

Hi all,

Thanks for all your advise. I check this thread regularly, so I am still on the lookout for new words and similar experiences which have been very comfortin to read.

I asked my doctor for hyoscyamine, which seemed to work great, except I get temporary side cramps (similar to ones after running too fast) but I'm not sure if it's because of the hyoscyamine, but it really helped with the sound (thanks joey82!).

I also tried zelnorm, which didn't help at all, so I stopped taking that.

I have been on the aboutibs.org site a lot, and saw that article. I plan to try charcoal tablets, if I need them.

Thanks again everyone, and keep the posts coming! =)

Old 02-20-2004, 07:56 AM   #8
    Cariquest

Cariquest HB User
    Unhappy Re: embarassing stomach/abdominal sounds

Chrisy82, will you please let me know exactly what has helped you? I feel like someone finally knows what Im talking about. Its really quite embarrasing, its been happening to me for almost 9 months now and I finally talked with my doctor about it and she told me to keep a journal of my diet and when the noises actually occur. I tried to explain that its noises just like farting except I rarely pass gas with them. They're actually lower than my stomach, like coming from my colon or my large intestine, and I know if people heard they would think Im farting. My boyfriend even said, well maybe you need to go to the bathroom, but Ive tried that, it doesn't seem to make a difference. Im going to go to the website that was recommended but if you can tell me anything else that will help please do. Thanks!!

Old 05-25-2004, 07:01 AM   #9
    wihasada

wihasada HB User

Hey Chrisy82, I know how you feel. I have the same exact problem too. Anything I eat or drink (except water) will trigger my stomach to growl. It seems there's no hope in curing it. For me, it started in high school. Now I'm a freshman in college. I know the torture of hiding the noises. I've visited several doctors who believe it's normal. Everyone I told seemed to have laughed at me, thinking it was supposed to be normal but it's not; even my doctor joked about it. It might be that I'm anxious or that I'm nervous around people. I haven't had a girlfriend in years because of my embarrassing noises. I know the pain of missing out on things in life. I've missed out on parties, going out to the movies, even my best friend's b-day party. I've tried prescription medicine like bentyl and nulev but they don't work at all. I've prevented my stomach from growling by not eating for 19 hrs with frequent bathroom visits. This is the biggest problem in my life. It has affected my social life and school life, killing my grades. I was just wondering if you know of anything new that would help. Thanks.

Old 05-26-2004, 09:11 PM   #10
    Tasha2003
    (female)

Tasha2003 HB User

Hi: I had to jump in with regards to the last post. I just went on vacation, and like you, I had absolutely no stomach rumblings the whole time I was on my trip. I tried to figure out what I was doing that I didnt do at home.
    I cut out fried food, I drank bottled water only, but I also drank lots of diet pepsi (so that seemed to throw a loop in that theory.).
    My hubby asked me, what did you do on vacation that you dont do at home? Well, I think it was the calcium. I am supposed to take 1200 mg of Calcium per day (when you hit your forties, you will probably be told to do the same thing). It really really helps digestion and it soothes the whole system down. I think, and I am not yet positive, but I think it is taking away the gurgles and high pitched noises.
    I dont know why it didnt bother me traveling, but I think that is the reason.
    So perhaps you can think of some food you didnt eat on your trip, or something you did differently.
    Best wishes.

Old 06-03-2004, 10:04 AM   #11
    fidel83
    (male)

fidel83 HB User

To everyone who has this problem, I really sympathise with you. I have had the same problem for about three years now, and it has totally ruined my social and academic life. I have been to see doctor after doctor, and have never gotten anywhere with them. Not to say that they were all bad, some of them were pretty understanding and truly did what they could to help, but the attitude of some of them was pretty...bad and unsympathetic - that's putting it nicely. I just wanted to know if anyone had heard of a condition called 'pneumatosis'? You should check it out. I'm not saying that anyone definitely has this, but that's what I truly believe this problem is. I'd advise you to check it out if you haven't. Just trying to help.

Old 06-09-2004, 08:12 PM   #12
    Dimaki

Dimaki HB User

I have the same problem, only mine seems to be mostly on an empty stomach or after I go to the bathroom, (not pee) for some reason. I can breath in and out and it will be loud as hell, luckily I work in a factory and it hasn't effected any classes yet. I do have to go home sick sometimes from work or school (like today) which makes it hard. It's not like you can just run and use the bathroom whenever you feel like right? people don't understand either do they? My dr. says it's air trapped but I find it odd that it's only on an empty stomach. Although one time, or maybe a couple I had some vernors, burped up a lot and it went away......mine seems to be the very upper left....

Old 06-10-2004, 01:24 AM   #13
    OCI

OCI HB User

I have had the same embarrassing problem for years, since I was 14 (I am 35 by now). I really empathize with you all and I know well how that affects one's life.
    But now I think I am getting better. I used to think I suffered from IBS, but now I realise I have some kind of intestinal candididasis, have you heard about it? It is a quite common infection, and it causes a lot o gas in your bowels among other symtoms. You can check the first link in order to know if you are likely to have it.
    Anyway, I am not following the diet yet (I just trying to find the courage to face both the diet and the die off), but just taking a soluble fiber suplement that acts as a prebiotic(be sure is pure soluble, not psyllium, as arabic gum or guar gum, and you should increase the intake gradually, if not you will have more gas) and a good probiotic (fructose free) that balance my intestinal bacteria the noises almost disappeared (and my belly looks flat again!).
    Hope this helps a little.

http://web.archive.org/web/20030203021827/www.howdyneighbor.com/jbayliss/crook.htm

http://www.cfs-recovery.org/docdarren2.html

Old 06-05-2005, 08:13 AM   #14
    a_jay
    (female)

a_jay HB User
    Talking Re: embarassing stomach/abdominal sounds

my stomach is really noisy.
    it is so embassrssing and the loudest thing you have ever heard
    when i start to get the growlies my boyfriend will lay me down and give my tummy a nice massage, it gets all the growls out and it will keep quiet for a few hours
    and not only does it help but it feels gorgeous especially when he uses oils and creams

Closed Thread