It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board

• Can IBS Change?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-12-2004, 10:27 AM   #1
    L-Town

L-Town HB User
    Question Can IBS Change?

I was diagnosed with IBS 6 yrs. ago. I had blood test, fecal occult test, stomach palps, and digital rectal exam done. All came up normal. I was 33 at the time. The doctor then from my sypmtoms said I had IBS. She "did not" suggest I do a sigmoid or colonoscopy even though my grandmother had colon cancer on my mom's side of the family. I fit most the Rome Criteria of IBS symptoms.

For the past 6 yrs. I've had IBS with "D". I know my trigger foods and try to stay away from them but some of them I mess up and eat them anyway. When I eat right I do pretty well.

I was wondering if IBS can change over time. I have IBS with "D" but for the last 7 mos. at first my BM's were shaped like balls coming out. That was at a very stressful time though. Now sometimes I have a little trouble going sometimes but they aren't speparate balls anymore. Now their tiny balls or weird little shapes packed into the beginning part of an otherwise normal, soft stool.

I don't have constipation where I can't go...I still go 3-4 times a day, just those little balls stuck into the first part of the first piece of stool. I still get "D" attacks from eating trigger foods or when I have stress/anxiety.

Can this change happen I'm getting a little worried because this is something new for me. Also, my father was diagnosed with colon cancer last year. I know no matter what I have to get a colonoscopy and the fact that I'm almost 40 and have a first degree family member that had colon cancer. I'd just like to get some input on this so when I do get one I won't be so worried about it.

Thanks!

Last edited by L-Town; 03-12-2004 at 10:50 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-12-2004, 12:57 PM   #2
    Rick7799
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Rick7799 HB User
    Re: Can IBS Change?

I have read that the normal age for a colonoscopy is 50 unless you have a close relative that has had colon cancer, then they say you should get it at 40. Go ahead and get the test for your own peace of mind. Any time there is a change in bowel habits, it could indicate something serious.

Since you also have Stress/anxiety that could be the reason to. The more you worry about it the worse the symptoms can get. I have a problem with stress and anxiety and I know what it can do. The test itself is not that bad and you will feel better after it's done.

Old 03-14-2004, 06:19 PM   #3
    6th_sense
    Veteran

6th_sense HB User

Hi L-Town,

I've had similar episodes to what you describe - I get thrown a hard ball first, and then soft stools afterwards - in my case very difficult to go because of the size of the hard ball. So, you're not alone in that respect. (Sorry about the graphical nature of the previous content - it was intended for adult viewers only)

As for the colonoscopy - you should go for the test - the worst part is probably preparation for it the day before - they give you something to clean your stomach out - the stuff tastes nasty and may make you gag - its horrible. The colonoscopy is the easy part. Since you don't know what you are getting into - no sense in getting worried before hand.

Cheers, Raju.

Old 03-16-2004, 11:41 AM   #4
    L-Town

L-Town HB User

Raju,

Thanks for your reply, I feel a bit better knowing someone has had a similiar experience. This is a new one for me. I still have anxiety over a big move I made about 7 mos. ago and sold my house that I lived in for 14 yrs. I still get emotional over it at times. I think that may be contributing to this "new" symptom. It may be what they call the "brain-gut" reaction that aggrivates ibs that I've read about. I also read that ibs predominant symptom can change over time (ie "D" being predominant changing to "C" or alternating.) I'm still going to get the colonoscopy done as soon as I get up the nerve to do it for the fact that their is a family history of colon cancer alone.

L-Town

Old 03-17-2004, 10:29 PM   #5
    kootie

kootie HB User

Sorry if I am of thread here.....but what are TRIGGER foods ?? I have asked my doc about it and never really got enuff info.....he gave me a print out sayin it is alot more common then first thought but it didn't explain enuff tome to really know the pro's and con's of diet ect. I love salad....ummm.....kinda heard that was a no no ? I try to stay away from heavy food like pizza and bread stuff even tho I LOVE that stuff. No matter what I ever eat I am a walking blockeage and always have been that way. I drink a tablespoon of mineral oil a few times a week and not sure that's a good idea either. What I hate is how I can look like humpty dumpty over nite and just a light lunch will make it worse. Only thing I have found to do it nibble durein the day when it is BAD and not sit down and eat till it lightens up with the bloat deal. I used to lay on my stomach when it got too painful....that's not the best position for a bad back. OK......thanks.....I sure have learned alot on here today !! Pam

Old 03-18-2004, 06:54 AM   #6
    L-Town

L-Town HB User
    Post Re: Can IBS Change?

Hi Pam,

Trigger foods are things that you eat that can send you into having a diareah attack when you have diareah predominant IBS or constipate you when you have IBS with constipation. Everyone has different trigger foods. Mine are chocolate, caffine, and most processed foods. Since you have IBS with constipation you have to write down which foods constipate you and cause bloating and try to stay away from them. You might want to try taking a soluable fiber like metamucil. It's supposed to be good for diareah or constipation to help bulk up the stool and make it soft. Metamucil has really good fiber cookies that you can get at Kmart or Walmart.

Salad with all the things added like tomatos, cukes etc. has a lot of acid in them. That alone can cause gas and bloating. I love salad too. It isn't a trigger food for my IBS but it makes me belch like all heck the next day or so...hence the gassiness.

Only thing with adding fiber to your diet is it can make you gassy and possibly bloat until your body gets used to it. Exercising like walking can help the GI tract run smoother too. Check with your doctor before adding anything to your diet like the fiber. Good luck and let us know how your doing.

L-town

Last edited by L-Town; 03-18-2004 at 07:00 AM.

Closed Thread