It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board

• Colon Contractions

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-22-2004, 05:24 PM   #1
    Lola050

Lola050 HB User
    Colon Contractions

I have had two colonoscopies and two or three sigmoids and I have been diagnosed with diverticulosis and irritable bowel syndrome. When I consume a large amount of fiber, especially with peanuts, the next day I am in the bathroom with cramps and contractions all morning sometimes lasting for hours. It is almost like taking a laxative. It is not diarrhea, but just horrible cramps and peristalsis. I can't leave the house, let alone the bathroom. Librax helps but makes me very drowsy and dry mouth. So, I have been taking imodium. Does any one else get peristalsis like this without diarrhea?
    Also, I wonder if stress causes this or if it is some kind of viral infection.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-30-2006, 06:45 PM   #2
    cvoor
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

cvoor HB User
    Re: Colon Contractions

I get that also. I was taking Prilosec as well, which I have heard can aggravate IBS, but I also have Gerd as well. I was taking Librax, and one morning I had the severe cramping your talking about, it started at 4:30 am and finally subsided around 1pm that day. I had been taking Librax, took 1 that morning, it barely touched the cramping.

Old 10-30-2006, 07:33 PM   #3
    elmhar
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User

Before it was called IBS, it was called 'spastic colon' -- this kinda suffering has been around a long long time. Have you tried heat? Soaking in a warm tub, or using a heating pad on your butt or on your abdomen, wherever it feels best? It's more of a distraction than a cure, but I did find a small measure of comfort with heat.

I feel for ya, had those nasty spasms for 5 decades, was even hospitalized 3 times due to the pain. In my case, stress contributed, but more important, gluten was a major culprit. I've gone over 2 yrs without IBS & the spasms, since changing my diet. A gluten-free diet probably won't work for everyone, but on the off chance it may help you, I recommend the book, Gluten-Free Living for Dummies, by Dana Korn.

Best wishes.

Old 10-30-2006, 11:41 PM   #4
    chikkie14
    Veteran
    (female)

chikkie14 HB User
    Smile Re: Colon Contractions

Hi I am really new here.. I was just wondering about the cramps brought about by IBS.. is it somewhat the same cramping feeling as the cramp you have during menstrual period? thanks

Old 10-31-2006, 12:11 PM   #5
    elmhar
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User

IME from talking to a lot of people over the yrs., the location of the pain can vary, as well as the intensity & duration.

I did have severe menstrual cramps over the yrs., but my IBS spasms were of much greater intensity as well as in a different location. Virtually crippling. It was difficult to move my legs because the pain was so great. The particular locus of my own spasms was from rectum up towards navel. Think white-hot knife-like pain lasting half a day or longer. At times also one side or the other other would also be literally locked up with spasms.

I'm real happy to be done with IBS!

Best wishes.

Closed Thread