It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board

• CT scan results-has anyone else had this?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-30-2004, 06:15 AM   #1
    SuzU

SuzU HB User
    CT scan results-has anyone else had this?

I also posted this on the colon cancer board, but now I'm wondering if anyone else with IBS may have had this experience.
    I had lots of abd pain about a year ago and thought it might be my appenix or gallbladder. It was fairly diffuse, sometimes localized in my lower rt or lower lft, often times upper rt quadrant. I went to the E.R. and had a CT scan, which showed thickening of the cecum and some enlarged mesenteric lymph nodes. It said a cecal mass couldn't be ruled out. I also had pelvic and abd U/S which were both negative.

After that, I had upper endoscopy, and of course, colonoscopy but nothing was found. The GI doctor told me he was quite sure it was IBS. He prescribed some anti-spasmotic (I don't even remember the name...) It was pretty much only good when I was having severe pains, but once I got on a regular fiber regimen with lots of water, I was feeling almost normal again. It was miraculous!

Now, I'm having symptoms again, though I've gotten less attentive with my fiber and water. I had originally been told to repeat the CT scan in a month because apparently, there are some cancers that start on the outside, not the inside of the colon. That was over a year ago.

Since I'd been feeling so dramatically better, I never went back for the CT.
    Has anyone else with IBS had this sort of CT scan result, and if so, what did your doctor say about it? Mine only said that sometimes the radiologist reads it incorrectly-but now I'm a little concerned that I've waited so long.
    I just figured if I was feeling better, it couldn't be something serious, or it would have killed me by now. I'm 37 years old.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2004, 01:23 PM   #2
    koppster_33

koppster_33 HB User
    Re: CT scan results-has anyone else had this?

I had a similiar case, I guess, something like that, not quite like it, but something like it.

Years ago when I started doctoring, I went through various tests, and when I had the barium X-ray of my small intestine, the radologist sent back reports to my colon doctor that I had some inflamation of the small intestine (near Chrohn's disease)

Well the doctor put me on anti-inflammatorys for the inflammation but after trial and error for sometime with anti-inflammatory medication in which I wasn't feeling better, maybe even in some cases worse, I asked for the colon doctor to take an actual look back at the X-ray.

He looked at the X-ray, and said I didn't have inflammation. After that I gave up with doctors, becasue I have been to many, so I went to the Mayo clinic where I went there and had various blood tests and a colonoscopy and nothing was found.

So I was diagnosed with IBS.

Closed Thread