It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board

• IBS and fissures

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-09-2005, 02:13 PM   #1
    chigs489
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

chigs489 HB User
    IBS and fissures

Has anyone here had problems with fissures? Due to constipation, diarhea, etc.? This has been a big issue for me in the last 6 months, and I had to have surgery to fix one of them. I still haven't recovered completely from the surgery, even after almost 2 months.

I don't get diarhea, but sometimes mild constipation. The big issue, is that I tend to get hard stools, no matter what I eat, and this causes issues down low. I also get rectal spasms, and tons of gas. Fortunately, I don't have stomach pains or anything like that.

Any advice would be helpful.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-10-2005, 12:00 AM   #2
    WATCHOUT!
    (female)

WATCHOUT! HB User
    Re: IBS and fissures

Hey Chiggins,
    It has been awhile since I posted...about two weeks ago I started having pain again....I had my fissure/sphinterotomy surgery in October of last year....I was doing really really well until I had a REALLY hard bowel movement recently.... I ended up back in the doctors office and asked to have the remainder external skin tags removed...though my DR. now says NO..because she is concerned it would be to painful...they have been swelling up so HUGE that is getting ridiculous....I even started getting spasms I think again....I do have IBS....and always have run to the bathroom since childhood because I don't have a gallbladder...but lately, like you I am constipated more...sometimes really severely. I asked the nurse if I looked healed up yet and she replied that it looked like I was...the area the fissure was on has been really sore lately because I feel like when I have a BM..I am being ripped a bit. I DID feel like I was healed up for months...but like you it seems like no matter what I eat or how much fiber I take..my BMs are hard as well. I have given up taking fiber, though still take stool softeners....I have serious trouble having a BM no matter what I do....I am hoping that I will get better like I did before, but because my DR is SO conservative (only doing the absolute musts) I might be looking at a second sphinterotomy surgery or I will be forced to go under anesthesia to see what is causing the remainder of my problems..she only cut one side..and I am suspecting I might STILL be too small...yikes!!!! Plus If she won't do the skin tags..I might be forced to look for another surgeon who will do them....It has been a tough road...I did really well post-surgery...bowel movements were a breeze..then 3 months into things...WHAM..I feel tight, sore and am bleeding again.....very frustrating! I even think with all the straining I HAVE been doing that I might have developed an internal HEMEROID...it burst a week ago.....more insult to injury! I am not afraid to do surgery...again if need be...this is no way to live if I don't improve again....I just want permanent results....I was well aware that things could go back to the way they were before...my DR told me this..but it is still annoying and discouraging.....I hate to go back down this road AGAIN...

Old 02-10-2005, 03:54 AM   #3
    chigs489
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

chigs489 HB User

I know how you feel.

I was doing pretty well until a week ago, when I got a stomach virus and ended up with diarhea for 24 hours. I took a bunch of Pepto-Bismol and then ended up with some mild constipation and then a really hard bowel movement with bleeding. I hadn't bleed in 3 weeks, so I was really angry.

Now it feels sore down there. Interestingly enough, it is the incision site, and directly across from the incision site that is bothering me, almost like the scar tissue is rubbing against the other side and causing irritation.

The high fiber diet and colace is killing me. I feel bloated and gassy all day long, but the minute I ditch the Colace, things start getting hard again.

Ugh!

Old 02-10-2005, 11:34 AM   #4
    WATCHOUT!
    (female)

WATCHOUT! HB User

hey...I think it is going to take along time for this area to heal...I started using the NITRO again....I feel stiff in this area and am bleeding again and sore...I am going to give it another week or so and see what happens...I get really discouraged like you...its like enough already!....and WHY does it have to take so long to heal..the Drs all say after weeks we should be healed......but I don't agree...I think this area is just really hard to heal..plain and simple...UGH....I'm with you on that....being 32 years old...33 in a couple months...I'm too young for THIS!!!!!

Old 02-10-2005, 12:23 PM   #5
    chigs489
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

chigs489 HB User

Have you tried Diltiazem (sp?) instead of the Nitro? It seems to work pretty well, especially when you first start taking it. No side-effects at all.

I think fissure + IBS is a really bad combination, and you better believe I've had enough. I'm only 34!

I'm playing around with my diet, and I'll let you know what works and what doesn't.

Old 02-10-2005, 12:43 PM   #6
    WATCHOUT!
    (female)

WATCHOUT! HB User

Hey...what is diltiazem? Do you still get bleeding, and stiffness down there? I am going on PAST three months and am to the point now..where I might need more surgery...the first surgeon I went to see wanted to do SERIOUS stuff to me and I would Have been even in worse pain...though I do believe I needed most all of it done! Yikes! it is really frustraing to be in pain again..I started back exercising and felt great until about 2 1/2 months in and then I feel like I am going backwards again....with me and my numerous medical problems..especially the thyroid...exercise is something I have to do...I have forced myself to exercise as much as I can..but my thyroid only stays balanced when I workout 5-6 times a week....I used to workout an hour each day...now I am lucky if I can do half of that even three times a week...a real bummer!!!!! Can you tell where they cut you at internally? I was only cut in ONE area..and am wondering if the muscle is only having spasms on the one side that wasn't cut....I have yet to truly understand where my pain is coming from...sometimes I think its one thing and then I think its something entirely different...its been hard to pinpoint...If I were just sore like for the first 2 1/2 months then I could live like that forever..but this burning, bleeding, and overall soreness is miserable!!!!! And the worst thing is that the DR. can't examine me down there again...unless they put me under anesthesia...I am in too much pain....I ponder each day....is it just going to take a long, long time to heal....or am I kidding myself...oh...well only time will tell! Isn't it crazy how something which seems to be so ridiculous can ruin life like it does? It seems like once its fixed..it should BE FIXED!

Old 02-10-2005, 01:27 PM   #7
    chigs489
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

chigs489 HB User

I had some bleeding on Sunday, after having a bout of diarhea due to a stomach virus (rare for me to get diarhea), and then mild constipation. Everything was aggravated to high heaven. I haven't seen blood since, but I jumped on it right away with Colace and a strict diet.

what do you mean by "stiffness"?

I still get spasms for sure, and I can feel where the incision is. It sometimes stings a little, and seems to rub against the other side like sandpaper.

I get gas from HELL -it feels like there's pressure on the colon a lot of the time, especially when I wake up. I don't know if it is from the Colace, fiber, or maybe IBS.

Interestingly enough, when I had diarhea, I didn't really eat anything, and I felt GREAT. No bloating or cramping, very little gas, and very little spasms or pain.

Diltiazem is actually a blood pressure drug, but in ointment form, it relaxes the sphincter big time. It's like nitro without all the side-effects.

Old 02-10-2005, 01:57 PM   #8
    meof3

meof3 HB User

I've had to deal with IBS and I know it's not fun.I started taking Milk Thistle one day and about a week or two later I was feeling ALOT better.I had alot of pain befor in my guts.But now its gone.Its worth a try.

Old 02-10-2005, 02:08 PM   #9
    WATCHOUT!
    (female)

WATCHOUT! HB User

I feel good when I don't eat anything either....I get the same pressure down there too.. I always feel like I have to go to the bathroom too..that is why I stopped the fiber..the pressure was even worse...the "stiffness" feels almost like a scab...the whole area down there feels like it isn't flexible....strange as that sounds..I don't know whether I just am overusing the area (on the days I get seriously constipated or what seems like constipation..going multiple times really hard) or whether it is just a spasm..since trying to go..seems like the BMs feel huge but end up being pencil thin...I just got out of the tub....warm water seems to help..but I feel raw....sometimes it looks like a dark crunchy brown color stuff comes out when I wipe down there..I sear it looks like scab stuff..for days I feel a bit better then once I go to the bathroom it all starts over again..I know ANY incision gets stiff like that on the outside of the body..but inside? oww! I am beginning to think there are MANY things at work against me right now....I hurt internally (burst hemeroid, the incision), my remainder skin tags, my IBS...the area the fissure was closed up....I am at a loss for WHAT to do...It doesn't seem the surgeon wants to give me anything else unless they Know WHAT they are treating..and I can't be examined...so if things don't clear up soon then I will most likely be back into surgery to see what is going on.....can you actually see your incision....? I can't see anything going on in there, since the opening is covered by the darn skin tags...MAYBE if I had a better idea WHAT I thought the biggest culprit was then I could figure out what to do to get back what I had months ago....I do know that all meats bother me....I had red meat for dinner one evening...and have been in a world of hurt since then..it is really ridiculous!!!! It seems like I am going to have eat light for months and months on end.....i AM SO HUNGRY..BUT EATING.....anything has to pass through there and I am back to square one...SSOOOOOOO frustrating!!!!!

Old 02-10-2005, 02:25 PM   #10
    chigs489
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

chigs489 HB User

I think red meat would kill me.

I can feel where the incision was done, but just barely. Warm water helps me as well, the spasms go way down.

I didn't take any fiber or Colace last night, and I don't have nearly as much "have to go to the toilet now!" feeling today, although I'm still raw down there. It really does feel like a big scab, or something caught in there, causing spasms and irritation. I can relate to the thin stools as well -it's when I spasm big time, especially the second BM of the day. I try now, to only go once a day. Today it looked totally normal.

When I went in for an exam, they stuck the big "white thing" up me to pull the sphincter out and check the fissure. It hurt like the devil, especially when they did it before surgery. Did they do this exam with you?

When I had surgery he did an exam, and said everything looked really good -no hemmroids either.

Can't figure out what the deal is. I think we might be dealing with IBS even more than the fissures. One aggravates the other.

I got a prescription for Dycyclomine, an anti-spasmatic, but I'm a little nervous to take it, because I don't know if it constipates. Hopefully someone on the board can give me advice about that.

I'm SUPER careful about what I eat. Minimal dairy, lots of fiber, no red meat, some chicken, no spicey food. Alcohol helps the spasms, but can give me problems the next day.

Old 02-10-2005, 03:28 PM   #11
    WATCHOUT!
    (female)

WATCHOUT! HB User

I took Bentyl..is that a genric brand you were given? for my spastic colan when I was a kid..it helped, but it caused a lot of drowsiness for me. It has been years since I took it..but would give it a try again if need be....they didn't exam me before surgery thankfully....the way your talking about...owwww...they didn't even exam me at all....though I do think right now that I do have some aggravated internal hemeroids..I am getting such burning and throbbing..I can't figure out if its hemeroids or is it the spasms...I went quite a bit today and am a real mess...how does your spasm feel....right now I feel like the throbbing pain is following my heart beat....I am getting so disgusted with this problem..I literally had to lay down for awhile..I am that sore....does colace make you feel like you ahve to go more then once..if I could go just once then I would be better...

Old 02-10-2005, 03:48 PM   #12
    chigs489
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

chigs489 HB User

right now I'm not spasming, but I'm getting the itchy, irritated feeling down low. That always makes me nervous, because I think I'm going to bleed during the next BM.

Yes, I think it is Bentyl. I've only taken one so far.

The Colace isn't technically a laxative, but it does seem to make me go pretty frequently. I'm not sure how good it is to be taking it for months on end. My urgency feelings didn't start until I really started pounding the Colace and taking Citrucel.

If you are constipated, I would try things like veggie burgers -there is a ton of fiber in those things, but they seem less harsh than a supplement -easier on the system. If I really need to go, I down a cup of decaf coffee, and I'm in the bathroom within the hour.

My job requires me to sit for 8-10 hours a day, so you can imagine how the butt feels at the end of the day. Then I have a 1 1/2 hour commute.

Old 02-10-2005, 04:31 PM   #13
    WATCHOUT!
    (female)

WATCHOUT! HB User

How does the bentyl make you feel? I have been thinking I should try it again...I think my general practioner would give me a prescription again...since I took it for a long time about 15 years ago. It did help with the intestines, quite a bit. Do you think your incision sight is what is bleeding...if you don't have hemeroids then where do you think the blood is coming from? I was told by my DR...that we all have hemroids..she says it is like a cushion for things coming out of the rectum..but some people aren't bothered by them. She told me I don't have hemeroids the last time she checked...but because of the huge amount of blood that came out last weekend..I think I do have at least one big one that has gotten inflamed. I really think taking the fiber is what caused the inflamation..because I had such an urge to go..yet I was constipated because the BMs felt too big to pass...the fiber bulked me up too much I think. I seem to have better BMs if I eat natural fiber. The Colace...I am thinking I might stop that for now....I stopped the fiber days ago and am wondering if all this STUFF is to much for the system....I swear I am beginning to think that maybe all this stuff we are going through is normal...people with hemerdectomy surgery take a long, long time to feel better. Do you think WE, since we had surgery MIGHT be so inflamed from surgery that we are just re-aggravating ourselves.... BECAUSE it is taking time to heal....I have thought of trying the veggie burgers..I have really been starving..yet everything seems to rip through me ONCE I eat it....do you feel better TODAY since you didn't take the Colace...you might be right...maybe all this junk isn't good long term....and you are right going to the bathroom once would be great......i don't feel too bad if I go once...but multiple times....is SOOOOOO miserable, and gets increasingly painful. It will be so nice once we heal up properly...and for you...having to SIT a long time...I am in the car driving my kids back and forth to school two hours a day..I have to sit on one of my hands to take away the pressure....horrible...I know how you feel...but 8-10 hours sitting down..especially at work..its not like you can tell everyone what your going through......

Old 02-11-2005, 06:50 AM   #14
    chigs489
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

chigs489 HB User

O.K., I'm not a doctor, but I did a little research...

Fissures can cause all sorts of problems as we know, and so can IBS. But it seems like you and me are suffering from soemthing that seems muscular in origin; spasms, tightness, a feeling of fullness down below.

Here is an explanation of something called Levator Ani Syndrome

"Levator ani syndrome is one cause of chronic pelvic pain. The typical symptoms of levator ani syndrome include rectal butt spasms, rectum pain and tightness, and a sensation of fullness. It is sometimes associated with proctalgia fugax, which is defined as a short, sharp pain in the rectum. Levator ani syndrome, on the other hand, tends to be more constant pain. The pain is located in the pelvic floor muscles in the rectum, mainly the levator ani muscle.

The root cause is pelvic floor muscle tension or myalgia. In simple terms, it is muscle knots in the internal walls of the rectum. These "knots" are usually referred to as trigger points. When these tiny knots are active, they can cause great pain and a sensation of tightness and burning in the rectal area. This is typical of levator ani syndrome.

Common Levator Ani Syndrome Symptoms

*Rectal Pain and Burning
    *Rectal tightness and muscle spasm

Now this is interesting, because I also had some urinary problems a couple years ago that seemed muscle related. This was corrected through a drug called Flomax, which is an alpha-blocker (muscle relaxant).

When my surgeon did the exam when I was under, he said everything looked great -not even hemmroids. Just the fissure(s) and a sentinal skin tag, which he removed. I would imagine that something like Proctitis would he been easily seen. Last Summer, I had a blood test done for something else, but that is also used to detect inflammatory bowel disease. that came back negative. The surgeon was a little bit baffled at all the spasms and problems I had after surgery. He said "fissures are healed, you can eat anything you want, just keep taking fiber." Ah No. I have to seriously watch what I eat, or I will have big problems.

Old 02-11-2005, 07:32 PM   #15
    WATCHOUT!
    (female)

WATCHOUT! HB User

Hey....
    Sorry I didn't respond earlier...I have been in bed much of the day...with you know what..the pain, burning and tightness....I couldn't even sit today at all.. I had to make a trip in the car and OWWW that was a disaster....But after reading what you said...I think YOU could be right....though neither of us are DRs, me either..that is a good thing...from what I have learned over the years....WE, mere NORMAL people have more info then the DRS. This is not to say that they don't know THEIR stuff..but WE are the ones in pain and do the necesary foot work to find out what the problem is....BECAUSE we obvioulsy have a vested interest in things....this syndrome...do you think if we indeed have this problem..do you think surgery caused it? I mean, once we were cut..maybe things just aren't the same..or is THIS what CAUSED the fissures to begin with? I have always have a spastic colon since a teenager but NEVER had problems with fissures and the spasms....this just seemed to start the last couple years...I decided last night to stop the stool softeners and today after many trips to the bathroom..I swear my BM's looked like foam as if the stool softners were working its way OUT...I am starting to think with the tight spinchter muscles we have..do you think its possible that WE both can't tolerate all this manmade fiber and Colace? Since I began taking fiber last fall....It seems like my intestines haven't worked properly! Normally, I can HEAR sounds from the intestines BEFORE I have to go....but since last year....things never seemed to MOVE the way they used too..almost as if the fiber solidfied in the intestines and backed up all the way down to the rectum. I am eating light right now..I, like you can't tolerate meat, dairy or anything spicey, etc.... this is no way to live...but again if I don't watch things I have big problems too...did you ever think any area could give you so many problems...I know my family is so fed up with me being sick...especially over something seemingly stupid.....but real, nevertheless!!!! And I am beginning to think that I DID indeed burst a hemeroid too....as I said before my DR. said we all have them, but a lot of people NEVER even know their there unless they have problems later in life. When I had my surgery in Ocotober...the DR. said I had no problems with hemeroids, that everything looked good. But I know I had to have broken one, bigtime...because of the pain and the blood after a BM..too much for something else...but I am starting to think..that taking the fiber might have caused this to happen....the BMs were getting too big and stupid me..I was told that I could eat whatever I wanted and though I still kept it lighter...I went back to a regular diet...BIG< BIG MISTAKE...so I am thinking..Ok..I ate meat (not good), took fiber (which obviously doesn't work well for me) and PLUS if I have this syndrome you mentioned...no wonder I am a mess.....I am going to look this syndrome up....I am really grateful you did some research...any help from you has been a God send! It has been really discouaraging to THINK I am better only to be back down this road months later. Thank GOD for this board..I am hoping that something you or I read will end this problem for both of us, permanently....We DO DESERVE TO BE HEALTHY and our lives should be back to normal by now!!!!! Thanks again for the info..I am going to look into it!

Closed Thread