It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board

• What helped my IBS

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-15-2005, 03:06 PM   #1
    Elektra
    (female)

Elektra HB User
    Lightbulb What helped my IBS

I found a book at my local book store (in the mall) called Eating for IBS by
    Heather Van Vorous. I sat down to read it, and the chapter the book first opened to was an epiphany for me: it said that FAT is the NUMBER ONE food trigger for IBS. That was when it dawned on me! It was the highFAT foods that were doing it, stress can cause and trigger IBS but fat ALSO is a major trigger.

THAT DAY I immediately started eating lower fat again, as I had been raised and taught to do as a child. And I have not had even one food-related IBS attack since. It has been three years!

Do yourself a favor, and monitor your fat intake. Pick up this book! My life has improved drastically, not only did my IBS attacks stop, but I lost weight and became more active.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2005, 04:35 PM   #2
    6th_sense
    Veteran

6th_sense HB User
    Re: What helped my IBS

Hi Elektra,

Some long time back - Heather Van Vorous's book was constantly talked about on this board. I guess I haven't seen it lately. It is not even listed in the "Worth Reading For IBSers" list. I am glad you found something that helps you. It is well known that people have to control their fat intake: But it is also a property of what kind of diet they need, based on the type of IBS they suffer from. If you suffer from IBS-C like I do, foods such as chicken, beef and pork helps my digestion improve and the C reduces. (Although I am an exception being relatively independent of any diets myself).

Cheers, Raju.

Old 03-15-2005, 09:22 PM   #3
    theforlorn
    (male)

theforlorn HB User

6th:

So certain kinds of food can trigger IBS as well then right? Of the three different times my stomach went to hell I had eaten something with chicken in it.

Does this mean I should stay away from chicken all together? Or only when I am under high stress and at risk for IBS?

Or will what I eat not matter because the stress will undoubtedly trigger it regardless?

Old 03-16-2005, 09:13 AM   #4
    BettyV
    (female)

BettyV HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by theforlorn
    6th:

So certain kinds of food can trigger IBS as well then right? Of the three different times my stomach went to hell I had eaten something with chicken in it.

Does this mean I should stay away from chicken all together? Or only when I am under high stress and at risk for IBS?

Or will what I eat not matter because the stress will undoubtedly trigger it regardless?
    Sounds to me like you might have an allergy to chicken.

In my case, high stress levels don't necessarily trigger IBS suffering. The last year has, without doubt, been the most stressful year I have ever had - and my IBS has been dormant. (Thank God!!) If I were you, I'd have a chat with your doc about the 'chicken' issue.

Old 03-16-2005, 02:44 PM   #5
    6th_sense
    Veteran

6th_sense HB User

Hi theforlorn,

I disagree with BettyV.

Here is an analogy of my beliefs: (Read carefully the following statements)

1. Drunk drivers cause accidents.
    2. All car accidents are caused by drunk drivers.
    3. Car accidents are caused by errors in judgement.
    4. All drunk drivers cause accidents.

Statement "1" is true. Statement "2" is false. Statement "3" is true. Statement "4" is false.

Just because drunk drivers cause accidents, doesn't mean that all accidents are caused by drunk drivers - as well, while being drunk increases the potential for an accident - it does not guarantee it. Similarly, just because a subset of stress causes IBS, doesn't mean that all stress causes IBS. Unfortunately, it is very difficult to pull stress and its association with IBS apart. People tend to feel that all stress causes IBS and some feel otherwise.

I will have to invent a name for the stress that causes IBS for the sake of clarity someday. But until then, people will believe what they want to believe. I am tempted to call it psi-stress - just something I am leaning towards.

Psi-stress can cause chicken or any other foods/activities/events to be an IBS trigger. So in your case forlorn, chicken is a trigger/event. Nevertheless, you could still get IBS attacks even if you avoid chicken. So, the question remains whether to avoid chicken or not. As for food allergies - it was something I wrote about as well. It is possible to have a food allergy, but the source of many food allergies is psi-stress.

In most people's cases detecting psi-stress and counter acting psi-stress is not possible, except with the help of someone who is very knowledgable of psi-stress. Since psi-stress is my own term, no-one else will understand the phenomenon. There are people who are knowledgeable who call it energy: but it is hard to be certain if they are for real or not, except from the outcomes of their actions.

In short forlorn: your only option may be to avoid chicken, until it no longer triggers bouts of IBS. As for whether you will get bouts of IBS regardless of your diet: pray that psi-stress doesn't cause any more trouble.

In my case, I deal with psi-stress directly and therefore don't have to worry about diet / activities / events. I can live happily regardless of what happens. This is why some people swear by hypnotherapy - it deals with psi-stress directly - as for whether it always works or not.... complicated. Anyone who decides to call themselves a mechanic may not be able to repair your car though some can, and that too in how many instances they can repair your car may vary by experience. Is there a qualification process for psi-stress mechanics: like certification - no, not possible - it is not a quantifiable thing, since it is all in the mind. The only way to assess if you are working afterwards is by testing it out yourself.

Cheers, Raju.

Old 04-10-2005, 02:30 AM   #6
    midwestmom
    (female)

midwestmom HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 6th_sense

"Worth Reading For IBSers" list. I am glad you found something that helps you.
    Cheers, Raju.
    Where might I find this list??
    Thank you....

Old 04-10-2005, 05:06 PM   #7
    cinnamongirl_9
    (female)

cinnamongirl_9 HB User

The list is at the top of the IBS board.

Old 04-16-2005, 04:42 PM   #8
    nanawal
    (female)

nanawal HB User

I have had IBS for several years. Does your stomach swell to were it is so big you have to undo your pants? Also their is very severe pain with this. Any suggestions how to stop it from happening?

Thanks for replies.

Closed Thread