It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board

• about to lose my job because of this :(

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-08-2005, 03:01 PM   #1
    iichloegirl
    (female)

iichloegirl HB User
    about to lose my job because of this :(

Does anyone have any idea what I can do for this? I am always having stomach problems and the doctors told me there is nothing they can do for me since I have alternating constipation and diarrhea. I have tried laxatives to help with the constipation but they just make me have really bad diarrhea. I take immodioum for my diarrhea but that constipates me. My problem is when I do have diarrhea it comes on quickly and I don't leave a bathroom for a few hours. Theres no way I can be at work when this happens (I work in a fast food place and they would notice if I was hanging out in the bathroom for 2 hours) I called in sick today just because my stomach is feeling funny and I might be sick later but I'm not sure. My boyfriend doesn't even understand me when I leave work early or call in sick. He says.... they have bathroom there. you are just being lazy.
    Any ideas how I can get this problem under control before I lose my job?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-08-2005, 03:43 PM   #2
    bulletinboard25
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

bulletinboard25 HB User
    Re: about to lose my job because of this :(

what kind of other things are you doing for it besides laxatives and imodium?

let me know so i can give you some suggestions

Old 06-08-2005, 04:03 PM   #3
    iichloegirl
    (female)

iichloegirl HB User

I have tried fiber tablets, and staying away from greasy food since they cause me to have d.
    I really don't know what esle to try. Any suggestions would help.

Old 06-08-2005, 05:02 PM   #4
    bulletinboard25
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

bulletinboard25 HB User

So I am assuming no medication? You could try an anti-spasmadic medicine like Donnatal, Bentyl, or Librax.. Don't know if you've tried that kind of medicine before. Truthfully, even though they are in the same class of medicines it might take you a couple trial and error type gos at each diff. one before you find the one that works best for you....What about anti-depressants? You might not be depressed, but they are used for a wide variety of other things, including IBS. 90% of the serotonin in our body isn't even in our brain, it's in our gut...

As far as things to do right now. I'd say to start taking a calcium carbonate supplement, common and popular brand name for that is Caltrate... They even have caltrate colon health. It helps bulk up your stools, and many many people here and other boards have found great success with just taking 1-2 of this in the morning or night....

Also you could try some digestive enzymes with meals to help the digestion process along....

Let's see.... also there is a supplement called acidophillus... it is a probiotic supplement(friendly bacteria commonly found in yogurt).. this helps to recolonize the intestines and promotes intesitinal health.

As far as the diet goes... Grilled food always before fried... Like you mentioned, and know already. Grilled chicken or fish has been a good one for me to eat, without causing my IBS to flare up...

I know that's not all you can eat, but if you base your diet around grilled lean meats and fruits or vegetables that you know you can tolerate, it will be a slow start.

Also don't eat 3 meals a day... eat 4-6 smaller meals a day... Don't overload your stomach and give it too much work to do at one time, because we know that can cause a lot of intestinal distress.

I can offer you more suggestions or answer more questions if you have them.. I will be on a lot tonight, it is my day off work.

Hope any of this helps.

Old 06-15-2005, 03:59 PM   #5
    Sue5964
    (female)

Sue5964 HB User

iichloegirl

unfoirtunately I can relate to you. first of all, about your job, if you have been employed for at least 12 months and have worked 1250 hours in the last 12 months, you may be eligible for job protection under the fmla (family medical leave act).

as far as not leaving the bathroom for hours, any time I think I migh have an attack, I take my antispasmatic drug with me. it's called Levbid (hyoscamine). It is quick acting and melts uder your tongue (the little blue pill) so you don't even need to have access it water. It works within 15 or so minutes. it does dry out your mouth and causes blurred vision, but both are worth it.

as for your boyfriend, let him read up on the crappy (literally and figuratively) condition and I hope he becomes more sympathetic. fortunately, I have a very understanding husband...although he had to be trained...and be a fast driver, sometimes.

I'd love to know if you try the meds and how they work for you.

Sue

Old 06-15-2005, 05:24 PM   #6
    D Marie
    (female)

D Marie HB User

It sounds like you have IBS...Irritable bowel syndrome.... I also have the same problems... which get worse when i have stress and worry alot about things. I now take Robinul Forte...which does help...but can constipate me if i dont eat enough fiber. I also have Fybromyalgia...which IBS goes along with. Now im having very bad stomach problems with acid reflux and massive gas.. My doctor is having me get an upper GI and a abdominal untrasound this month( to check for acid reflux)...and i have a EDG ( stomache scope) coming up in August to check for ulcers and the H.Pylori bacteria..I also am afraid to go out unless i know for sure where im going had a bathroom near by. I never know when i will have to go so i can feel for you hun... I now dont work....Im on disabillity.. and i hate it... I have a trip to Los Angeles planned for July 12th... im so afraid im going to have to cancel if i dont feel better by then...it sucks..... as far as your boyfriend goes...he also SUCKS! Most men ( not all...dont yell at me) dont give a crap or even have any idea what most woman go through.. and give no help in anyway...ive been there and done that... which is why i am now single LOL. You should really go see a doctor..and get tests done... if it is IBS there are meds that can help regulate your bowels...and atleast maybe you can still work then....good luck hun...my prayers are with you.....Marie

Closed Thread