It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board

• Rectal Prolapse

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-13-2005, 09:03 PM   #1
    Electricchild
    (male)

Electricchild HB User
    Rectal Prolapse

Hi everyone,

I would like to know what the symptoms of rectal prolapse are... I tend to be constipated if I don't drink enough water during the day... and I strain slightly when I go to the bathroom. I had a barium enema 6 years ago when i was 14 years old when I had severe constipation problems. Fortunately there were no problems (IE growths, polyps, etc). I just had to adjust my diet to avoid the contstipation. Even though my condition is better... I do have occasional constipation, and would like to know if years of even the slightest straining can cause rectal prolapse. Sometimes i feel like my bowel movements are incomplete, and the fact that i feel very sore down there worries me. Should I be worried about rectal prolapse?

I am 20 now... I would like to know if anyone on these boards has gone to get a second barium enema or colonoscopy done even if the first one returned no negative results. Should I be worried about cancer at my age?

Thank you very much for your response, I know I've asked a lot of things here.

Last edited by Electricchild; 08-13-2005 at 09:08 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2005, 09:16 PM   #2
    bulletinboard25
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

bulletinboard25 HB User
    Re: Rectal Prolapse

I wouldn't worry about cancer, that is if you and your doctor feel that none of your symptoms sound alarming.

I am 21.

When I was 16 I had a flexible sigmoidoscopy performed.

At the age of 20 I had a full colonoscopy.

Both tests came back negative for chrons/ulcerative colitis..

So to answer your question, yes... After 4+ years I did return for a second more thorough test, because my symptoms had become much much worse, and I had lost 45lbs in a year. from 195-150.

Old 08-16-2005, 12:11 AM   #3
    Electricchild
    (male)

Electricchild HB User

What about rectal prolapse? Has anyone here had problems with that?

Old 08-16-2005, 06:12 AM   #4
    6th_sense
    Veteran

6th_sense HB User

Hi Electric Child,

I'm not sure what causes rectal prolapse. Pushing out waste is part of the natural process of getting it out. Having to push doesn't necessarily guarantee that you will suffer from rectal prolapse.

If you feel constantly irritated in the bowel area, and it is because part of your intestines are protruding outside the rectum, then it is possible it can be rectal prolapse. However, it is possible that you can suffer from heammorroids (sp?) and they protrude out of the rectum as well - but they are not rectal prolapses because in order to be called rectal prolapse, the intestines have to protrude out all the way around the rectum.

Most people suffer from heammorroids (sp?) and the occasional person will suffer from prolapse. A rectal examination by a doctor will suffice to determine whether you have rectal prolapse or not. It is however, easily solvable through a simple routine operation, and they do something to ensure that it doesn't recur.

If it is simply heammorroids, then your doctor may suggest seeing a surgeon, depending on what level of discomfort you have, and they will simply put something like a pinch on it and it eventually falls off.

Good luck. I hope everything works out for you.

Cheers, - Raju -

Old 08-16-2005, 11:27 PM   #5
    Electricchild
    (male)

Electricchild HB User

Thanks Raju--- that helps!!

Old 08-30-2005, 02:26 PM   #6
    bluewaterangel
    (female)

bluewaterangel HB User

I myself have a rectal prolapse, rectal prolapse can me three things-severe constipation-avoid it and it will go away. Colonic enertia-non-functional bowels or pelvic musculature. Ask your doctor to go through these things with you and dont let it go without concern, because my first one that I had, I was bleeding and I let it go and I became anemic. Best of luck to you. Also make sure it is not hemmoroids, rectal prolapses usually come out with a bowel movement and go back in when done

Closed Thread