It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board

• New to IBS - HELP!! (Gas issues esp.)

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-23-2006, 07:06 AM   #16
    dbirchum
    (male)

dbirchum HB User
    Re: New to IBS - HELP!! (Gas issues esp.)

Let me tell you, it was bad. It was LOWER stomach and it killer. I couldn't beleive how much pain i was it. It was insane. I have had these lower stomach pains about 4-5 times before, and they were never that bad. Just uncomfortabe for a couple of hours and then they would pass. I found that if i lay down on my side in a ball, it helped. NOT this time though. Worse pain ever, and then the nausea hit. And i HATE feeling nauseas and 'waiting' to vomit. So here i was, intense stomach pain AND feeling like i was going to throw up (i didn't though). Nope, it eventually passed on its own and i didn't need to pass gas to get rid of it (i don't think i did....actually, now that you mention it, i was passing gas, so maybe that did aid it going away. who knows). But it was bad.

I like the sounds of this Maalox Max. Is it in a pill form? Is that how its taken?

What about fibre supplements such as Metamucil? Are these helpful? I have never taken these before, so do these make you have more frequent BMs??? Thats not what i want.....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-23-2006, 07:58 AM   #17
    Sharon76
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Sharon76 HB User

Hi dbirchum

It sounds like you may have a possible bowel obstruction. The pain you are describing and the nausea is what i experience when my bowel becomes obstructed. (i have a history of twisted and obstructed small bowel) also when you said about the gas issue,builing up, with an obstruction gas builds up in the small bowel as it cant escape and because there is an obstruction a person cannot pass the gas either and this makes the pain alot worse

I think it may be worth asking your doc to check for a bowel obstruction. In the mean time do not take laxatives to help you go toilet as this can make the condition worse if it is an obstruction. You really need to get checked for it. I am in the process of finding out why i suffer from obstructions and twistings. One question.......have you ever had stomach surgey or abdominal surgey??????

Good luck....and yes the pain is horrendous, uncomprehendable for people who dont suffer from it.

Last edited by Sharon76; 03-23-2006 at 08:01 AM.

Old 03-23-2006, 11:16 AM   #18
    Canyondweller
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Canyondweller HB UserCanyondweller HB User

I would not take a fiber supplement till you get the sayso from Dr. as for the Maalox Max it is for gas and in pill or liguid but i take the liguid. Lemon creme as it seems to work faster for me. For nausea I take either Pepto which also helps with gas or ginger capsules and they work great for nausea. I seem to be on the mend at the moment as I have had almost a week with no symptoms to speak of. Think it is the IBS Digestive advantage doing it.

Old 03-24-2006, 08:35 AM   #19
    dbirchum
    (male)

dbirchum HB User

Hey sharon76 -

Thanks for the comments....

A "bowel obstruction" hey? Interesting. Any particular reason why you would say that it 'could' be that? Something to think about, thats for sure. What exactly does a bowel obstruction mean? And, how does the Dr. check for one of these (it sounds pretty painful )????? But, i am having NO trouble passing gas. I pass way too much gas going one (and very foul smelling too, which REALLY concerns me - not to mention embarrasses me).

But having said that, a couple of months back, i really thought that i had "some" sort of obstruction going on in my bowel. I was having regular BMs, however, i always feel as if there was something almost obstructing its movement. Weird hey? But no, no surgeries of any kind to speak of to date.

When you mention not using laxitives, what types of products are you referring too (pardon my ignorance). Thanks!

Old 03-24-2006, 08:37 AM   #20
    dbirchum
    (male)

dbirchum HB User

Hi canyondweller - do you find that Pepto really works? I wonder if it really works for stomach issues, esp. nausea. But i will check into the ginger capulues too. I hear a lot about those. I do drink caffenie free herbal ginger tea at times to relieve my stomach.

Old 03-30-2006, 07:47 AM   #21
    dbirchum
    (male)

dbirchum HB User

What about metamucil? Would that help me? Or would that make it worse (make me go more frequently?)

Old 04-22-2006, 05:42 AM   #22
    dan325
    (female)

dan325 HB User

well, I'm new to this message board stuff, but I'm looking for help in what I think is IBS. It began in November/December when I noticed changes in my bowels. Mostly loose. Once in a while constipation. I was nauseaous and losing weight. Nothing big, just a drop of about 4 pounds or so. My doctor quickly threw the IBS diagnosis on me. I had an UPPER GI done which was normal. I felt better for the past 3 months or so and now I'm getting the same symptoms again. Diarrhea and slight cramping after eating. Not always. Depends on what I eat. I keep reading that IBS people do not lose weight. I'm wondering if anyone else has. I do get woken up in the middle of the night to have a BM with some cramping. Not always, but I've gone about 4 times in the last 12 hours so far. I'm looking for some comparisons. I'm going to my doctor next week to see if I can have the lower area looked at since the upper was fine. We've had some stress in the family lately and I'm wondering if that triggered this again as it was quiet for a few months. Any replies would be appreciated.

Old 04-22-2006, 05:53 PM   #23
    Canyondweller
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Stress can trigger IBS but it would be a good idea to have a check of intestines either colonoscopy or pelvic and abdominal CT scan but doubtfull if it is so on and off that it is anything physical. They consider IBS functional as there is no physical normalacy. I think if people have to go all the time they will lose weight. I have IBS-C so I never lose weight. I have become lactose intolerant which I never was before so staying away from dairy is helping as is sticking with chicken, fish, noodles, etc. There is some good info on line as far as diet but every one seems to have different triggers but stress is certainly one of them. If you keep a food diary that can help but it does sound like stress is a big trigger for you.

Old 04-25-2006, 07:45 AM   #24
    dbirchum
    (male)

dbirchum HB User

Just curious - all of these "tests" that have to be done - like Upper GI and Lower GI....what does this entail. I am scared to death at the sound of some of these tests!!

Old 04-25-2006, 01:37 PM   #25
    Canyondweller
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Well, there is no reason to be scared as these tests are pretty routine. For the endoscopy they put a tube down your throat while you are sedated and check out the stomach and part of the small intestine and also the esophagous. It take about 10 minutes but you are sedated, same for colonscopy but for that you do have clean your self out with laxatives, etc. the day before. I takes only slightly longer but here again you feel nothing. As for the CT scan or abdomen and pelvic area they inject some dye into you and a machine takes pictures. the new ones take less than 10 minutes. all this is very easy and nothing to be feared but it will rule out anything physiolocially with you including cancer, ulcers and a whole bunch of other stuff. If they find nothing and you still have a problem they say it is IBS as that is a functional not something wrong with you physical body that is causing it. Hope this helps.

Old 04-27-2006, 06:25 AM   #26
    dbirchum
    (male)

dbirchum HB User

Yikes Canyondweller.....you stated what I DIDN'T want to hear.

There is NO way i could do the endoscopy. Not a chance. I would not be able to allow anyone to put a tube down my throat - i simply could not do it. No matter how much valium someone gave me it would not be enough. Unless they COMPLETELY knocked me out/put me under, i wouldn't be able to do it. Trust me, i once was at an ENT getting my allergies/sinuses checked YEARS ago and they were checking out some post nasal drip issues and it was not a good expereince for me. Trust me. No way could I ever go back to that.... So when you say 'sedate'....what do you mean??

I think i could handle the other stuff - colonscopy and CT scans or the dye tests.....but not that endocopy. Now I am scared!!

Old 04-27-2006, 06:40 AM   #27
    dbirchum
    (male)

dbirchum HB User

Just as a side note, my "gas" issues are just too much to bear. I mean, frequent (VERY frequent) gas issues ALL the time (and I am not talking about burping ). I mean, this is disgusting - simply foul and gross smelling gas ALL the time. I am sick of having to come up with excuses to have to go outside "for a minute"

If I could at least somehow get this to stop, I would feel better about all of my 'other' stomach issues. Seriously. Has anyone ever heard of this 'problem' going on for months, that could be stopped??

Old 04-27-2006, 07:36 PM   #28
    Canyondweller
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

you are out! I have never been awake during the proceedure. The last thing I remember is turn on your side and that is it. The Dr. wasn't even in the room yet. I have them every year whether I want to or not and have never felt a thing. I come to the Dr. is leaving or has left. They use the same stuff as for the colonscopy just have to use less cause it is quicker. For heavons sake don't be scared. it is a walk in the park and a very necessary test to find out what is going on. You will never be aware of it happening. Not even a sore throat.

Ihave thing where they went into my throat to check vocal chords,etc. at the drs. office and that is awful. Trust me, please this is not even close to that. I know what you are talking about with the sinus scope and the throat scope. totally different. I cannot handle those well either.

Last edited by Canyondweller; 04-27-2006 at 07:37 PM.

Old 04-28-2006, 05:45 AM   #29
    dbirchum
    (male)

dbirchum HB User

NOW I am relaxed canyondweller!!! I had no idea that 'sedated' means that you will be completely under!!! I should of known that! Last time someone told me that they needed to get some stuff checked out for their stomach, they said that they were given a couple of valium and had the tube stuffed down their throat. I couldn't do that!! But if they knocked me out completely, i would do that in a second! I would have no issues with that!! But you don't feel anything afterwards?? No sore throat at all? No sickness when you woke up??? Thats amazing.

But yes, when I had my sinuses checked out years ago, they tried to stuff a tube in my throat and get me to swallow. The doc was VERY old at the time (and very rough) and complelely not understanding that it was FREAKING me out and I couldn't do it. He got upset, etc. Safe to safe, it left a bad impression with me.

I should of known though, as about 5 years ago, I had to go to a oral surgeon to get a wisdom tooth removed and i was 'sedated'. I sat in the chair, was put under for about 4 minutes while he removed the tooth and I felt nothing! Woke up feeling great!

Old 04-28-2006, 07:59 AM   #30
    clill_IU

clill_IU HB User

dbirchum,

It depends on the practice, some doctors will put you in "twilight", where you are awake but you won't ever remember. I prefer this method since its less dangerous. In Europe for certain procedures like upper endoscopy, they give you nothing.

Closed Thread