It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board

• Post diarrhea next day pain spasms...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-21-2007, 05:49 PM   #1
    donegal27
    Inactive
    (female)

donegal27 HB User
    Post diarrhea next day pain spasms...

I am at wits end with this. Having read probably toooo much on IBS and confused. About 10 years ago I was diagnosed with IBS. Basically it was diarrhea and then a few days of no stools, eating carefully and maybe a week or so of normal stools again. My doc suggested bran cereal each day which helped immensely cutting back on attacks for months at a time.

Now I find that this method no longer works. I am having a few days of no stools, then I have a normal stool, but it is followed with more stools over the next two hours ending quickly with watery diarrhea. Then the next day I wake up with very bad lower abdominal pain/spasms which take another day to eventually slowly get better. I use Immodium right after the diarrhea and then Levsin the next day to help with the spasms.

Does this sound familiar to anyone and what do you do for it?
    Thanks, Donegal27

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2007, 11:38 AM   #2
    desiii
    (female)

desiii HB User
    Re: Post diarrhea next day pain spasms...

Yep, that sounds pretty normal for IBS. Expect the unexpected, right?

What kinds of foods do you normally eat in a day? How much water do you drink?

Old 02-23-2007, 11:34 AM   #3
    donegal27
    Inactive
    (female)

donegal27 HB User
    Re: Post diarrhea next day pain spasms...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by desiii View Post
    Yep, that sounds pretty normal for IBS. Expect the unexpected, right?

What kinds of foods do you normally eat in a day? How much water do you drink?
    Prior to this flareup, I was eating very carefully. I am lactose intolerant with only a little bit of dairy to trigger diarrhea. I eat fish and chicken as my protein sources and only baked(chicken skinless) along with egg white omelets. My foods are either baked, broiled or boiled. If I attempt any raw veggies no matter how diced, it will cause pain. So they are put through the processor and pureed and eat baby food veggies which work well. I can only tolerate sweet fruits, bananas, small amounts of applesauce. I loved baked potatoes(no skin) sweet or white and/or mashed also white rice and pastas.

Water bothers my stomach. It makes no sense but if I drink too much my tummy bloats and causes diarrhea. So I try a glassful 3x daily but do drink alot of tea, green and peppermint morning and night.
    That's pretty much it.
    The only thing different now is the branbud cereal which I used daily for years.
    Donegal27

Closed Thread