It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board

• Sharp stabbing pains?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-10-2007, 06:10 PM   #1
    Nal
    (female)

Nal HB User
    Sharp stabbing pains?

I have had IBS for a few years now. I have always had pain in the intestinal area. Last few months though I have had a really bad sharp pain on the right side (just a little below the belly button) but all the way to the right. When I push on the area, I hear a lot of gurgling and then sometimes I will pass a little gas (sorry to be graphic).

Everything has been tested and ruled out-appendix, female issues. I am seeing a urologist next week but I doubt that will show anything. Anyway, can anyone here help me with this-can this sometimes be a symptom of IBS? GI dr thinks its possible (other tests are normal). There is no blood or anything in the stools-sometimes mucus (again, graphic).

Thanks for any help or advice you may have.

Nancy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-11-2007, 05:36 PM   #2
    Nal
    (female)

Nal HB User
    Re: Sharp stabbing pains?

No one else gets this? I usually notice the stabbing pains when I am laying down-on the right side by the naval area. I was in total tears today. I cant take this pain anymore-its almost enough to drive me to suicide!!

Nancy

Old 04-12-2007, 07:24 AM   #3
    tee-pee
    (female)

tee-pee HB User

Nancy,

I'am sorry to hear your in so much pain. I too have the stabbing pains on the right side. How long to they last? Does it come and go or is it constant? Does it only happen when lay down? Have you tried a heating pad?

Old 04-12-2007, 07:43 AM   #4
    DTT11
    (male)

DTT11 HB User

Im sorry to hear about your pains sweetie. Just remember your not alone. I also have stabbing pains on my right side. It almost feels like my hole right side goes numb. It seem to come on like every few weeks, last a hole day. It will hurt really bad for a min. than go away for a min. than come right back. The only thing that has helped is the leftover vicadon i have from my root canal surgery. Ive been to the gastro numerous times for it and still cant find the problems. Even my doctor thinks im crazy, its really ruining my life. I feel your pain, you need to keep going to the doctor until he figures it out. Even if he thinks your crazy, keep going. Trust me suicide is not the answer, think about all the people who love you.

Old 04-12-2007, 08:41 AM   #5
    Reyne
    (female)

Reyne HB User

I understand your frustration!! This whatever it is putting strain on my marriage!!

My pain is on the left though very sharp, but pain is always there. Have you tried an anti-depressant?? I know another pill and not the answer but if you are that bad...it might be worth a try. It has helped me, I still feel crazy but it is more of a calm crazy

Old 04-12-2007, 01:54 PM   #6
    Nal
    (female)

Nal HB User

thanks guys. I was starting to think I was alone. You see I had my gallbladder out last August. Now they think I have something called Sphincter of Oddi dysfunction and thats probably what caused my GB to go bad in the first place.

My IBS has been with me since I was about 20-joy. I don't get diahreah-I get the other kind. Ive tried diets, food changes, supplements, etc. I do take prilosec-have for a number of years. Without it, I cant eat anything because of the reflux. So, I have no idea what to do now or where to turn.

When I get these really bad attacks, they are all right sided. The stabbing pains come and go and mostly when I am laying down but they don't last too long (thank God). I do use a hot water bottle and I alternate with ice packs too-that does help.

What causes the one sided symptoms with IBS like these? Why does Bentyl sometimes make it worse?

No, I wont committ suicide-im 35 and have 3 young kids. however, living in constant pain-how do people cope with it?

Nancy

Old 04-13-2007, 07:38 AM   #7
    DTT11
    (male)

DTT11 HB User

Its hard to cope with, but there just isnt anything you can do.

Old 04-13-2007, 10:09 AM   #8
    tee-pee
    (female)

tee-pee HB User

Nancy,

You are never alone. There is always someone to talk to. I have two boys myself 4 and 5, they keep me running. I can't even imagine adding another into the picture. You are stronger than you think.(you go girl)

Closed Thread