It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board

• Constant Rectal Pain

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-02-2007, 05:38 PM   #1
    Spyros
    (male)

Spyros HB User
    Unhappy Constant Rectal Pain

Im 30 years old and I was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis 13 years ago.
    I had my thick intestine removed with surgery and the doctor inserted me a Pouch which he connected it with my small intestine and the anus(Not sure about the exact procedure but that pretty much describes it I guess).

Through the past years I was having small rectal pains when I was visiting the bathroom.Sad thing is that I still have them from time to time.I go to the bathroom 4-5 times a day.My stool is not formed-and never was ofcourse, after the surgery-and Im having lots of gas.
    The problem gets worse when sometimes the stool gets out violently,exactly because of the gas.

The surgeon said that an inflammation keeps "popping up" right where the connection is between the small intestine and the anus.
    I have tried pretty much everything...Flagyl,Ciproxin,Rifacol,Sal opyrine orally but also Salofalk,Asacol,Cicatridina,Xylocaine through the anus.
    The last couple of months I had a stool exam and it showed Candida.The doctor said that this is normal but after looking over the net about Candida I found out that I had pretty much all the symptoms of an overgrowth of them(I had been taken a lot of antibiotic(Ciproxin) the last month).

Could this be the reason of the constant inflammation and pain(along with gas)in my anus?
    Could it be of my diet?
    (I eat mostly all kinds of white meat,chicken,potatoes,bread,salami,white and yellow cheese,bacon,rice..and also tea and coffee with sugar,Coca-Cola and Im smoking a lot).

Im kinda desperate here and I feel that doctors here in Greece dont take too much care of a patient's needs and problems.
    Anyway...sorry for my big post and maybe some bad english.

Im really looking forward for responses/advices.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-06-2007, 09:36 AM   #2
    Evie4
    Veteran
    (female)

Evie4 HB User
    Re: Constant Rectal Pain

I'm sorry to hear about your pain and frustration. I can't comment on your condition or treatment because I'm really not familiar with it. You ask though if your diet could be contributing and then you mention your eating habits and that you smoke. First, really, you really need to stop smoking. It is one of the best gifts you can give yourself. Likely, it will be extremely difficult, but you should do everything within in your power to stop. You are poisioning yourself. I know for a fact that people who smoke recover more slowly and can have more complications (after surgery) than people who don't. Please do try. You should know that quitting can quite possibly affect your stool and bowel habits.

Also, in your diet, there is no mention or fruits or vegetables. Do you have problems with them or do you not prefer them or did you just forget to mention you eat them? If you don't, you should make a point of doing so. Just so important they are part of your diet. With your condition, you should really consider making some of these changes, I hope you will and I hope you begin to feel better

Evie

Last edited by Evie4; 06-06-2007 at 09:37 AM. Reason: spelling

Old 06-07-2007, 12:11 PM   #3
    Spyros
    (male)

Spyros HB User

Thank you so much for your reply.
    It really means a lot to me to see other people give attention and comfort
    to my problem.

Small update...

I had a colonoscopy(preparation with 2 Fleet Enemas) and currently waiting for the biopsy results.
    The small intestine is in fair condition(colon has been removed as I said on my 1st post),but a couple of ulcers and ulcerations appeared in the anastomosis area.No other macroscopic pathology in the rest of mucous.

I asked the surgeon whether he thinks if an anal fissure might be involved and he said that it could be.To be honest Im leaning towards this too, cause my only serious symptom is the pain(which is most of the times tolerable), when the stool passes through my anus.Its kinda watery-not really formed-,I have no blood, and it is accompanied by lots of gas.The pain stops as soon as I exit the bathroom.

Any ideas?

And btw...unfortunately, fruits and vegetables should be low on my diet according to doctor.

Old 06-07-2007, 01:03 PM   #4
    Evie4
    Veteran
    (female)

Evie4 HB User

Glad to hear you are getting some help and things look like they may be sorted out soon. I don't have any advice since I haven't had the type of surgery/experience you are having.

Gas is normal and trying to eliminate having it at all I think will be impossible. Hopefully your Dr. will determine the cause of your pain (as you suspect) and it can be treated.

As far as the fruits and vegetables being low on the list...this alarms me. I can guess why this might be, but where are you getting your needed vitamins from? Why don't you check out the bowel disorders section here at the message board. Maybe post your brief history there. You might get more responses and some advice from people with similiar conditions. I don't know that the IBS forum is the best one for you. Couldn't hurt.

You didn't respond to my plea to stop smoking Please, please try.

Closed Thread