It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board

• irritable bowel syndrome causing rough anxiety!!help please

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-08-2007, 01:05 AM   #16
    JesseA
    (male)

JesseA HB User
    Re: irritable bowel syndrome causing rough anxiety!!help please

I don`t take anything, no. This is pretty recent. I mean ive had it before, but ever since I had my most recent 'attack' ive noticed I keep getting episodes and if i burp it feels like burning acid came up.

Last edited by JesseA; 09-08-2007 at 01:05 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-08-2007, 07:31 AM   #17
    Friendlee
    (female)

Friendlee HB User

I remember these things in high school. And it went on through college. I would be driving to class and then I had to turn around and go home. Eventually I had to take a semester off of school!

My stomach noises would happen no matter if I ate a huge brekfast or if I ate nothing for two days. I tried everything in between. It was SOOO embarrassing. I found that drinking a ton of water before and during class helped because the plates of your stomach sort of move around and scrape each other, causing stomach rumble noises. The water helped them float and glide rather than rub against each other.

In the beginning my saga began with diarrhea. I found out that I had IBS and also Candidiasis (yeast overgrowth in intestines). I tried all of the amateur suggestions my doctor had but nothing worked. I tried not eating for days out of desperation and I STILL had symptoms!! I couldn't believe it. There was nothing there to cause the symptoms, how could it be?

Anyway, I went without sugar for 2 whole months (including natural sugar from fruit) and took a lot of garlic in order to kill the yeast that was attacking my gut. (this was the semester I was OUT of school). During that time, I also took something called Colostrum that heals the gut. This was all very helpful. I also started taking wellbutirn for anxiety whether it was already there, or caused by the IBS, it has greatly helped.

Years went by and my gut was annoying mostly and once in awhile it was a real problem, but never so bad as it was back then. Still, I spent leisure time looking things up on the internet like excess gas, bloating, feathery BM's, diarrhea....I was able to live with it, but I always knew it was not right. Someting strange - I always had better BM's after a fatty meal from fast food.

However, I have recently become painfully aware of factory farming and the strange facts of genetically modified foods. I will not eat anything processed and will never eat fast food again. I eat whole foods and make all of my meals from scratch on the weekends and just heat them up on the weekdays. So I have a lot of fiber in my diet and lot's of fluids, I take probitoics, I drink kefir.....recently, I have developed chronic constipation. Meaning, I go on most days but it requires effort and it is very large and sometimes pebbly. That, technically is constipation. It is supposed to be about the consistancy of peanut butter and in the S-shape of your colon. I am only 28 but I had a colonoscopy and they found nothing. They told me to just take Miralax for the rest of my life. Since they advise pregnant women against taking it...I was concerned about myself taking it and kept searching for something natural. The Miralax was unpredictable for me anyway. The saga with constipation became just as baffling despite the many things I tried - and I tried everything.

All of this to say, I have experienced both Const and Diarh and I think I found something that may help with either. I take Chlorella now and I am so much better. It heals the lining of the intestines and normalizes peristalsis in the intestines. It worked on the second day I took it. I took 3 in the morning and 3 in the afternoon for constipation. Now all I need are 2 in the morning and 2 in the afternoon. I would think that someone with diarrhea could start taking 1 in the morning and then the next day 1 in the morning and 1 in the afternoon. Not sure. But everything I read says that it helps with both types of IBS. Has anyone else tried it?

Old 09-08-2007, 08:40 AM   #18
    Friendlee
    (female)

Friendlee HB User

Also, something to ease bowel anxiety: Matcha Green tea. (the real powder - nothing pre-packaged). If you live near a Whole Foods you can go to the bulk tea section and you'll find this kermit-the-frog-green powder. You just mix it with water and make tea. I add vanilla soy milk or honey to sweeten. It has L-theanine which is very relaxing. Also some caffeine but not like the kind coffee has. It gives you a calm alertness. It also has a TON of other benefits. I drink it in the morning now instead of coffee and I am much more relaxed about my mystery bowel experience each morning. (Of course the chlorella helped relieve my anxiety around that too).

Recently, after two months of daily matcha, I had a late night at work and decided to have a cup of coffee the next morning for the first time in two months. I was shocked at how different the caffeine high was. I was totally distracted and slightly jumpy. I attempted like 20 things and couldn't get a single thing done! Back to matcha now and I love how it relaxes you at the same time that it gives you stamina. Coffee is so delicious, so I will probably still have it for a treat now and then, but maybe only on weekends.

Old 09-18-2007, 06:28 AM   #19
    BLaZSauce
    (male)

BLaZSauce HB User

Wow! After reading all of this I'm starting to believe I might have IBS, I experience the same EXACT things everyone has been feeling. At home I am perfectly fine, but when I am in class I also have to use the bathroom real bad. And I already used up 2 or my 3 allowed absences in college due to this. I also started to develop anxiety about anywhere I go. Especially if the place I am going has no bathroom, I tend not to go. And this has ruined my social life a LOT.

It's really depressing for me and I have no clue what to do except watch my diet, which I am starting to do, but I want a quick solution =/

Old 09-23-2007, 02:38 PM   #20
    tummyproblems
    (female)

tummyproblems HB User

i just started using a colon cleanse thing ill let everyone know if it helps... and i also have a homepathic thing for stomach growling and diarrhea which ill take too ill tell everyone what i get out of this.. i recently missed a whole week of school and tomorrow will be my first day back if i can do it.. ill update tomorrow bye!

Old 09-24-2007, 05:12 AM   #21
    Friendlee
    (female)

Friendlee HB User

Good luck. I am sending tummy soothing vibes and calming energy your way.

Old 09-24-2007, 12:11 PM   #22
    tummyproblems
    (female)

tummyproblems HB User

okay its called IBx.. so far i haven't felt really all that different.. my first day back today was .. ehh alright not nearly as bad as i thought but defiantly not close to perfect.. i managed to slide by...but that was one day and with many more to come.. and i sense really hard times especially cause tomorrow i have 3 tests, and although i don't have to take them i have to sit through them in the quietness!!!. ahh okay

anyway mostly what sucked is that i was absent this week because of anxiety not because i was sick and my mom and psychologist and mainly everyone who knows about my problem said not to say i was sick because if i continue to be absent any time in the future eventually people will be suspicious of me always being sick.. but it sucked when people were like were you sick and I'm like no and then they would be like where were you.. i mainly said: i had a lot going on, personal stuff, don't wanna talk about it, and that my mom and stuff let me stay home because i just had too much going on. It sucked cause one of my teachers even said he didn't know what i looked like.
    and one other comment that got to me was a kid was like talking about a class last year that i was in , and i was like i was in that class too remember and he was like oh you were, i wouldn't have realized because you were always absent. I feel like people think I'm a loser cause I'm always absent. If only they knew what i was going through, and just how hard it is.

Old 09-24-2007, 05:22 PM   #23
    bellalove
    (female)

bellalove HB User

i know exactly what you mean..and it can definitely be annoying when people say stuff like that. trust me, i know what you're going through..i used to be to embarrased to admit my problem, so people were under the impression that i was always at home with the flu, a cold, etc (basically any excuse i could think of besides IBS) however, i recommend telling your closest friends. Believe me, my life so much easier now that my best friend knows. This one time i was out with my best friend at blockbuster. We just ate lunch at applebees and i don't know what was up with the food, but about 5 minutes later i felt like i was going to explode! i pulled her aside and all i had to say was "emily, we have to go..i'm having a stomach problem." immediately after that we left, no questions asked. My best friend Emily was totally cool about it. It's so much better to have your friend know, and be understanding about it, then make excuses all the time. So if you have a best friend who doesn't know, and you hang out with him/her often, i would recommend telling them. Plus they are always there to give their support! i don't know where i'd be without my best friend! haha hope this helps you! =]

*Melissa*

Old 09-24-2007, 05:56 PM   #24
    Mr.Tibbs
    (male)

Mr.Tibbs HB User

Well we have quite a little group here. I've had my IBS (for lack of a better name) since 1993. Nobody is really sure what has caused it. I got it while I was a soldier serving in Siani Egypt while on patrol of the mountains and various old battlefields. Initially, my entire patrol got very sick. I couldn't leave the latrine for 3weeks except when the medics had to come and get me to hall me off to the troop hospital. I almost died on that toilet. That was the beginning of a very long nightmare that has never gone away. I had to have surgery last year because my rectal area and large intestines had atrophied "to the size of an infants". I haven't had a "normal bowel movement" in 13 yrs. Finally, the Dr.'s put me on Opium Tincture several times a day, which helps most days but makes me so stoned I can't think straight. I used to work

deelted

, but I was spending to much time in the bathroom, and the only medication that helps, forbids me from working, driving, or just about most things outside of my new "housewife" duties. I tell my wife she has the most educated dish washer in the country. Since 1993, I've had more E.R. visits than I can remember and have amazed every Dr. thats ever tested me. Last month after getting so sick my wife had to leave work and rush me to the E.R., they did another small bowel follow through which should take about 5hrs, I completed the test in 7 minutes. The radiologist was amazed, the sickest patient he had ever tested in twenty years, took 20 minutes. This result, while amazing, made me extremely angry because I still got no answers. I've been out of work for 13 months now and the Veterans Adminstration just sent me a letter saying they lost my paperwork and medical records. It could be worse. I just made friends with another veteran of my generation thats very ill from "unknown causes". Its cost him his sight, umong many other terrible physical problems, he's not even sure he'll be alive in a couple years. Even with that, nothing is being done to help him, 36 yrs old and waiting to die. Well thats off topic, sorry I drifted. IBS is no picnic, no matter what the cause. If I couldn't laugh at it from time to time, I'de probably cry.

Last edited by Administrator; 09-24-2007 at 08:31 PM. Reason: Read the Posting Rules.

Old 09-24-2007, 07:04 PM   #25
    Friendlee
    (female)

Friendlee HB User

Jeez you guys, I am so sorry. I have definitely experienced a lot of pain, embarrassment, anxiety and depression due to bowel stuff. I hate to hear that people just continue to go through this stuff with no real help.

The things that have helped me:
    1. Colostrum. Look it up and see what you think. I think it healed me for a period of time.

2. Chlorella. I took it for awhile and had to experiement but it heals the gut, gets rid of candida and clears out the liver.

3. A new vitamin (SuperNutrition Opti-Packs).

4. Coconut oil.

5. Bananas for diarrhea.

6. Guided meditation specifically for headphone use only (recalibrates your brain and reduces anxiety). I listen to it often at night for a very deep and relaxing sleep.

7. Good friends I know I can trust, my mom and my husband. They are there when I am crying and take me seriously but also help me to laugh and encourage me to be an aggressive patient and advocate for myself.

Good luck guys. I know this is hard.

Last edited by Friendlee; 09-24-2007 at 07:09 PM.

Old 09-24-2007, 10:08 PM   #26
    tummyproblems
    (female)

tummyproblems HB User

right now i feel the need to post..i know no one will respond because its late... but im getting happy that this is almost turning into a discussion group haha..

well anyway i don't know but im having a horrible night. My stomach feels like someone left a knife in it and its stuck. I cant even deal with this. I'm getting really upset and vulnerable right now. Mostly because today I went back to school for the first time in i think 13 days. It wasnt as bad as i thought it would be and i was hoping that i could stick through going this whole week. but im having such a bad night that i think ill be spending it on the toilet all night and i probably wont get sleep. I tried laying down and sleeping which trust me i usually never have aproblem with even when things are bothering me.. when im tired i sleep no matter what never really had sleeping problems.. a couple lately but for the most part not really.. but i tried laying down but my stomach is in such pain that i try to sleep but i have a neverending pain that i just cant sleep over it. I really cant pretend its not hurting me because its pretty bad. So yeah im awake.. I dont know what im going to do because now when i have a bad night theres usually no way i can go to school the next day.. bad night= bad day... or no sleep all night = dead for school... so yeah i pretty much know ill be missing tomorrow.. and it upsets me becuase i just had to go through all day today talking to people asking me how i am thank god im oikay.. and now im gonna be absent again and theyre all gonna be like WHAT THE HECK girl .. whats up...

my parents have gotten wayy better with my situation and they let me decide what i want to do now becuase theyve realized forcing me to deal with my ibs causes a panic attack no doubts.. and they dont want that.. so they let me do what in my mind is best... so i dont know.. since ive been absent so much and school just started im considering homeschooling 11th grade.. just so i can have time to myself to experiment with medicines on my stomach and a ll kinds of things hoping for a cure so i can be fine senior year and college. I have a pros and cons list though becuase I am not going to lie to you with all these problems.. I manage to have a wholeeee lot of friends. I dont like to consider myself popular because i feel like that word describes stuck up people, which im definantly not especially because im so understanding since i go through this everyday. but i can definantly be put as popular.. so i would be upset becuase i would feel like i would loose friends and not be invited to like things anymore because im not in school and all sorts of things but then again i dont really have classes with any of my friends or see them through out the day so it wouldnt really make a difference except i wont be able to participate in school sports or clubs.. I'm taking my chances Im pretty sure..

well sorry for babbling i feel like you guys really understand me and im sorry if this is all such stupid teenage drama life but haha im pathetic okay well im gonna go have a bad stomach episode of my life.. bye goodnight people

Last edited by tummyproblems; 09-24-2007 at 10:08 PM.

Old 09-25-2007, 10:11 AM   #27
    Mr.Tibbs
    (male)

Mr.Tibbs HB User
    Thumbs up Re: irritable bowel syndrome causing rough anxiety!!help please

First I'de like to appologize to the editor for putting too much info in my last posting, new guy mistake, I'll try to avoid that in the future.
    Dear tummy problem: I'm sorry to here about your difficulties with school. I had to go through college for 5 years with many similar problems. My IBS did everything to stop me from attending classes. College is a bit different in that most proffessors don't take attendence so missing isn't quite as obvious and at big schools their are so many faces in the room nobody notices except your friends. For me, going to class worked great as a distraction, especially if it was a subject I enjoyed, usually science, history, geology, but english and math got my IBS all rilled up everytime. I found that if I studied alot and knew the subjects, my symptoms were less severe, I became a top notch student as a result. It was a long road to go from "Class Clown" , which I had been most of my life, to mature, focused, "Destroy the curve guy". Another thing that seemed to help a bit was to really "take in" the morning walk to school, whether it was from my apartment or from the parking spot that always seemed to be ten miles away from campus. Just sort of try to allow for a long, slow strole, take in the views. I used to always watch the birds, especially the crows that always seemed to be in the leaveless trees during the fall and winter semesters. Hang in there and try to keep it all in perspective, let your friends help you, they can get you through hell, mine sure did. Stay focused, be strong, stay relaxed, and go for it!

Old 09-25-2007, 04:18 PM   #28
    Friendlee
    (female)

Friendlee HB User

Definitely not silly high school drama. High school social life is very important with lots of tests and lessons for the development of your character. (although it sounds like you are a pretty mature high school student). It is really hard in high school, but as Mr. Tibbs sort of said, it can get easier in college.

I ended up taking one semester off school early in college. My parents said they would support me for ONE semester so I could get my health under control. I researched and called the doctor and tried new things like it was my full time job. I sort of fell off the face of the earth for that semester and some friends even got mad because I was terrible at calling them back and just didn't have the mental energy to talk, go to lunch, go out to the bars etc. Eventually, after feeling better, I jumped right back in and we're all still friends and I am almost 30.

After that semester I felt SO SO SO much better. I learned a lot about herbs and kept a food/symptom journal. I had time to make foods that were healthy and research recipes that consisted of the foods that were best for me at that time. I was just finally able to clear the fog, get things under control and then I was set. Homeschooling might seem like a tough solution, but years and years of struggling and stressing out honestly would be a much tougher solution. I think it is worth a try. Is it really doable? Do you have a homeopathic doctor in your area? If so, they will sit with you for about an hour or more just getting your past symptoms straight and asking lots of questions. They really get to know you and understand YOU rather than a textbook chapter they read in med school that somewhat resembles you. The treatment ends up being very effective and tailored to your exact circumstance. Is that a possibility for you?

Old 09-25-2007, 10:04 PM   #29
    tummyproblems
    (female)

tummyproblems HB User

im not really sure about if theres a homepathic doctor near here..but anyway i think homeschooling would be an option especially because i can just take a semester off like you would in college.. and i would much rather take off now then have to take off later in life like college

Old 09-27-2007, 03:21 PM   #30
    tummyproblems
    (female)

tummyproblems HB User

im being homeschooled now

Closed Thread